• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Reasons As to Why Ocarina of Time is an Epic Game

Flagpole

I'm back!!
First off, and before anyone starts yelling about what I'm going to comment can be seen everywhere, this isn't the normal list in which you find each epic feature in Ocarina of Time that makes it epic, as it is kind of different.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the fifth game on the Zelda franchise, and the one considered the most epic, the golden Zelda game, a legend, an adventure... in fact, it is considered the best game ever, receiving in majority reviews with rates of 9 to 10, only a few people disliking the game. It is the Zelda game considerd to reach the peek of the Zelda franchise, setting a lot of new standards for future games, as well as using features from previous Zeldas, like some of it's weapons (Bombs, Arrows) and the main enemy (Ganon/dorf), as well as many enemies, and a whole lot more of features. It's story also has a lot of similarities with the one of A Link To The Past, which is a reason many Zelda lovers and fans hated. But, why is this game so high in the video game history, if a lot of people doesn't seem to find it's secret formula? Well, it is something that hasn't appeared in a lot of Zelda games, not even in a lot of video games, which is the reason as to why Ocarina of Time is so loved.

But, before start talking about the secret of how Ocarina of Time is such an epic game, I'd like to mention other Zelda games, which lack what Ocarina of Time had, like Link's Awakening, Majora Mask and Wind Waker.

Link's Awakening is the fourth game in the Zelda franchise, and in it we can find a great, deep and complex story, which many people just love, as well as some entertaining characters and some easy, short but fun dungeons, as well as the Seashell sidequest, which can keep Zelda players entertained for hours looking for the Seashells in the overworld. This game offers, as well, a side-quest in which you have to go to certain places at certain moments so that a mouse (?) takes you pìctures you can then see inside the Camera Shop, inside a photo album.

Majora Mask is the sixth game in the Zelda franchise, and a game which you can either love or hate, as it contains an inmense amount of side-quests with a little amount of dungeons: four. The game contains a lot of side-quests and collectible items, that is, twenty four masks, fifty two heart pieces and six empty bottles, as well as a bunch of upgrades, being all of this so massive it can take the player doezns of hours to find all of these without any help at all. Majora Mask badness comes from the lack of dungeons and it's hated time cycle, which limits the player to finish certain things in three of the game's days, or else the player will find Termina being crashed in Termina, with Link in it, and all the effort put by the player in that time blows away from the game.

Wind Waker is the seventh game in the Zelda franchise, having some kind of easy dungeons, and some really extensive side-quests, having a balanced amount of side-quests and dungeons. However, many people refuse to play this game because travelling by seas can take a lot of time, with the sea seeming endless. Many people consider that one of the only flaws of the game.

The three games I've just mentioned are connected in a very visible way: each of them have, at least, one big thing which certain players can consider as a very big falw. That is, Link's Awakening amazingly easy difficulty, Majora Mask's lack of dungeons and it's time cycle, and Wind Waker's mode of travelling. These things make these games only appeal to certain gamers, as others find their flaws way too big.

In the other hand, Ocarina of Time is a well balanced game, which has almost no flaws, or at least no big flaws: it contains eight dungeons, which can satisfy the player who only wants to go through the dungeons and leave the other stuff away, it contains a medium difficulty, an amazing soundtrack, and enough side-quests - or at least side-quests that can keep you busy for a while - to entertain the one who wants to complete the game 100%, whith a hundred Golden Skulltulas to hunt, thirty six heart pieces to search for, a kind of hard, timed trading side-quest, and four empty bottles - all in one game. So, Ocarina of Time's secret foruma is being a well balanced game, which appeals to almost every gamer, thus being one of the games that receives the most perfect reviews, and the reason as to why it wins to other great games like Majora Mask, Link's Awakening and Wind Waker.

Do you agree with my opinion? Why? Why not?

I agree 100% with this statement. Lets start off with Links Awakening; although it had a very great storyline the game in general was just a little bit to difficult for me. You basically had to guess where you would head next or ask around which can be a real pain. The game may have been very entertaining to me but I hate to sit with a gameboy and attempt to see it in the bright light or in the dark since it came with no backlight really. Thats irrelevant though. Now onto Majoras Mask; while the game was one of my favorites the only major flaw I know of would be the time. If you didn't beat a temple or a certain sidequest before the moon crashed you would have to start over again and redo the entire thing which gets tiring after awhile. It only had 4 major temples which seems like the didn't put enough time into it and it seems like they rushed it. Other than that the sidequests were very fun and entertaining so I think thats what saved the game other then the storyline and its many mysteries. Onto my 3rd favorite Wind Waker; as you said the major flaw was definetely the sea because it was so extensive and very difficult to travel through when you had to constantly change the wind direction. Other than that the game was very entertaining and it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. It seems like they put alot of thought into it with all the challanges, storyline, items, and sidequests. But onto the main subject Ocarina of Time; this game became very popular for its well balanced gameplay. It was made with newer graphics which pulled people in. Also it was a downright favorite game of many people. It had 3 dungeons in the beginning to get the player ready for the real challanges or as we know them as temples. It seems like they really put alot of detail into the game by planning out the sidequests for the child chapter of the game instead of mixing them all together into one huge jumbled mess. After the player had finally reached the Master Sword thats when the real fun began with the 5 temples and Ganon's Castle. The temples were basically connected because you had to get this certain item before you could reach this one and so on and so forth. The temples were made as difficult as they could reach and I think everyone loved "saving the sages". After you beat them you would move onto your ultimate goal which is Ganons Castle which was very well thought out (they did a similar thing in WW). You had to unlock the barrier to get in and you had to use the sages to help which was a great idea. Then it came with little battles in each room until you made it to the top to make it more interesting. Then the 1st final fight led to you having to escape with Princess Zelda and then the 2nd final battle with Ganon began and instead of leaving him the same they went back to the pig stage as they originally had him. Overall this game was a real favorite for its well balanced gameplay, new graphics, and especially the music!

MrLuigi

Theorist
First off, and before anyone starts yelling about what I'm going to comment can be seen everywhere, this isn't the normal list in which you find each epic feature in Ocarina of Time that makes it epic, as it is kind of different.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the fifth game on the Zelda franchise, and the one considered the most epic, the golden Zelda game, a legend, an adventure... in fact, it is considered the best game ever, receiving in majority reviews with rates of 9 to 10, only a few people disliking the game. It is the Zelda game considerd to reach the peek of the Zelda franchise, setting a lot of new standards for future games, as well as using features from previous Zeldas, like some of it's weapons (Bombs, Arrows) and the main enemy (Ganon/dorf), as well as many enemies, and a whole lot more of features. It's story also has a lot of similarities with the one of A Link To The Past, which is a reason many Zelda lovers and fans hated. But, why is this game so high in the video game history, if a lot of people doesn't seem to find it's secret formula? Well, it is something that hasn't appeared in a lot of Zelda games, not even in a lot of video games, which is the reason as to why Ocarina of Time is so loved.

But, before start talking about the secret of how Ocarina of Time is such an epic game, I'd like to mention other Zelda games, which lack what Ocarina of Time had, like Link's Awakening, Majora Mask and Wind Waker.

Link's Awakening is the fourth game in the Zelda franchise, and in it we can find a great, deep and complex story, which many people just love, as well as some entertaining characters and some easy, short but fun dungeons, as well as the Seashell sidequest, which can keep Zelda players entertained for hours looking for the Seashells in the overworld. This game offers, as well, a side-quest in which you have to go to certain places at certain moments so that a mouse (?) takes you pìctures you can then see inside the Camera Shop, inside a photo album.

Majora Mask is the sixth game in the Zelda franchise, and a game which you can either love or hate, as it contains an inmense amount of side-quests with a little amount of dungeons: four. The game contains a lot of side-quests and collectible items, that is, twenty four masks, fifty two heart pieces and six empty bottles, as well as a bunch of upgrades, being all of this so massive it can take the player doezns of hours to find all of these without any help at all. Majora Mask badness comes from the lack of dungeons and it's hated time cycle, which limits the player to finish certain things in three of the game's days, or else the player will find Termina being crashed in Termina, with Link in it, and all the effort put by the player in that time blows away from the game.

Wind Waker is the seventh game in the Zelda franchise, having some kind of easy dungeons, and some really extensive side-quests, having a balanced amount of side-quests and dungeons. However, many people refuse to play this game because travelling by seas can take a lot of time, with the sea seeming endless. Many people consider that one of the only flaws of the game.

The three games I've just mentioned are connected in a very visible way: each of them have, at least, one big thing which certain players can consider as a very big falw. That is, Link's Awakening amazingly easy difficulty, Majora Mask's lack of dungeons and it's time cycle, and Wind Waker's mode of travelling. These things make these games only appeal to certain gamers, as others find their flaws way too big.

In the other hand, Ocarina of Time is a well balanced game, which has almost no flaws, or at least no big flaws: it contains eight dungeons, which can satisfy the player who only wants to go through the dungeons and leave the other stuff away, it contains a medium difficulty, an amazing soundtrack, and enough side-quests - or at least side-quests that can keep you busy for a while - to entertain the one who wants to complete the game 100%, whith a hundred Golden Skulltulas to hunt, thirty six heart pieces to search for, a kind of hard, timed trading side-quest, and four empty bottles - all in one game. So, Ocarina of Time's secret foruma is being a well balanced game, which appeals to almost every gamer, thus being one of the games that receives the most perfect reviews, and the reason as to why it wins to other great games like Majora Mask, Link's Awakening and Wind Waker.

Do you agree with my opinion? Why? Why not?

I just had to point that out.

I'll agree it's a good game, but it's an over rated game. People mindlessly go on Zelda fan forums and rant on how it annihilates the other games. OoT is balanced, but it's a little dull for me. I think Twilight Princess (GC) was actually rated 0.1 better (OoT had 9.5 while TP had 9.6) but Twilight Princess brought little mission-like quests. Wind Waker too had a little bit more to offer but I can see what you mean by setting the standards for Zelda and I think those standards should be met or if not heightened.

Link's Awakening has more challenge to it, but was very vague. Majora's Mask too was good, I didn't find the time cycle annoying as much as most people but the side quests dominated. MM's dungeons were harder though compared to Ocarina of Time's. When comparing Woodfall to the Forest Temple I would have to say Woodfall was much more difficult. Snowhead though was probably the easiest dungeon, but that doesn't mean it wasn't difficult. But did it meat the OoT standards? While being harder and in some cases longer, it met up quite well. OoT was a Medium and MM was a Hard. Only a "hardcore" gamer would really bite into the game. I can see newer Zelda-goers liking OoT but MM would probably shoo them off.

Back in the day (not so much 10 years ago) Ocarina of Time was by far the greatest of the great, but Zelda titles come and go.

OcarinaSword

Never Give up
Well the game is epic, because it has the best story line! Also i live its graphic's, and finally its awsome. (lol)

I think it worked so well because of the many ways you could beat the game. You could get the bare minimum requirements or you could go all out, and find everything. There was also no defined time which you had to get items (in which I could remember), and you could for the most part get them in any order, except for a few items.

B

BlindZelda

The game is to epic. I played it at least 15 times and finished it 15 times.
I love it because of the storyline (even though some parts don't make sense. I mean, finding sages to make a bridge, couldn't you just hire a bridge builder?)
The graphics for the game, for it time at least, was awesome.
I loved the music. The Last boss when Ganondorf comes out of his ruined castle and transforms... was just...AWESOME!

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
The game is pretty epic aside from TP. My 2nd reason it's epic it's bcuz the first 3D game from loz is LoZ OoT. 3rd reason. Is the Dungeons and Items were pretty awsome to use. 4th reason is the last battle with Ganon/Ganondorf was pretty epic to any gamer to their first time finishing LoZ OoT. Those r my thoughts on why LoZ OoT is an epic game.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time. Period. It is as close to the perfect game as I expect any game to reach in the forseeable future. While not perfect, its outstanding structure is now the standard by which all other Zeldas are judged.

The difficulty balance was perfect- not too hard (except for that dungeon... *shudder*) but nor was it too easy either. This is really the only recurring issue I find with the series- difficulty balance. Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker were probably the best in that regard- Link's Awakening certainly wasn't the hardest Zelda, but the last three dungeons were pretty challenging, especially Eagle's Tower, which had some brilliant puzzles. But I digress. The point here is that Ocarina of Time nailed the difficulty aspect perfectly. That was what prevented Twilight Princess from being as great as it might have possibly been- while the game was brilliant, most of it was far easier than it should have been. It didn't get challenging until City in the Sky, and that was just painfully hard. On the flipside, Majora's Mask is quite frankly nearly impossible to most players without a guide. People are saying Link's Awakening was vague- Majora's Mask gives new meaning to the word "vague". It tells you where the next dungeon is, but gives no indication of how to get there. Th first two dungeons are fairly straightforward, but the water temple and Stone Tower are hellishly difficult to reach without specific knowledge of where to go. Though in its defense if you have a decent guide it is a great game. Ocarina of Time was tricky from more or less the beginning, but it got progressively harder as time went on.

The sidequests are also amazing. There is an enormous wealth of things to do in the game, which is what I love about games. Quite a few games will consistently turn up new tricks if you look hard enough (one reason why I LOVE Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga), and Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask deliver on that better than anything.

However, I find one major flaw in Ocarina of Time: The Skulltula quest. Most people say it prolongs the game, but no matter how expansive and wonderful the gameworld, I simply will not just trek around randomly combing areas over four, five, six times looking for a Skulltula and then finding out I passed one over because it was under some crate. I have never been a fan of these collecting sidequests in any game, but at least this one is optional. I just get the Giant's Wallet and then I am done with Skulltula hunting for the remainder of the game. It isn't worth collecting them all, in my opinion. But that doesn't detract from the game for me at all- 100% completion isn't necessary, I just love the game.

(I love how four of the games the opening post listed were in my top 5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom