• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Talk: Do you think your childhood self would be proud of you?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Do you think your childhood self would be proud of you? More specifically the way you've conducted your life? and more importantly, would they be pleased or horrified to see where you currently are?

I like to think my childhood self would be proud because i've always suffered anger issues and it's take severe amounts of control to get it to where i don't just lash out. Not to mention he'd be somewhat shocked over my last few years, several hospital visits and the like that've befallen me ^^. He'd be almost certainly be horrified it took me as long as it did to score my first job (I was a cocky lil git as a kid). Finally i think he'd be pleased to know that i finally have people i can call decent friends ^^.

What about you? Would your childhood self rage? Or cry with happiness?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Some things my childhood self would be pleased with, some things not so much. My health has been not as good as it use to be, but I'm finally working a real job and have friends. Best part is no school or homework.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Mostly the former, I guess. But that in itself could terrify them.

I dunno children are some of the most open minded beings in existence (we don't count the monks on their mountain top) I'd like to think they'd be curious as to how you've reached where you are.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not at all.

Though I do try to be kind, I've pretty much failed at everything i wanted to achieve and a accomplish. Nothing to be proud of there.

The very fact you still try to do something (anything) is in itself an achievement, even the fact that you keep trying is an achievement to be proud of.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
No my childhood self hates me.

Thing is, kids are dumb. They have no life experience and grand designs for the future. A future they cannot possibly comprehend. Everything is reasonable to a child. It's just too bad our ongoing life experiences shape our adult selves into a variety of forms that complicate matters for everyone.

My expectations as a kid weren't too irrational, which is why I lament that even the simplest of accomplishments are so next to impossible today. I blame society for this. While at the same time I am acutely aware that you cannot pass off your own failings to others, society at large does bear the brunt of the blame for much of our present situation. At this point, seems to me like the best thing we can do is to grow up and try to improve things.

Sorry to say, but that's just life.

But no matter the nature of the impediment, as a kid I couldn't have imagined things would have turned out the way they have for me and for others. But I wouldn't be the first to learn that no matter what happens, you just gotta roll with the punches.

At the end of the day our future is what matters, not some dumb kid :)

Ninja

Well well well
Not at all.

Though I do try to be kind, I've pretty much failed at everything i wanted to achieve and a accomplish. Nothing to be proud of there.

Most successful people achieve their goals through repeated failures. The ones that truly fail, simply never try.

As a child I was pressured by my father to be a doctor. Traditional Asian father, Caucasian mother. He was extremely strict, and very verbally abusive, while my mother was extremely kind and always told me to do whatever made me happy.

Overall, my childhood self would be proud of me because I stuck it to the man, but disappointed that I didn't follow through with my word to him. I'm not a doctor, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm in the food and beverage industry, and I'm extremely good at my job, so much that I continuously am getting job offers from other companies, and every year my salary has increased and I'm able to support the family by myself if need be.

When I was in school, I was in the medical magnet program, which is a limited entry high school program and the senior year is when you go out to three different job fields and try them out. Out of all of them, my favorite was the Physical Therapist Assistant program. I've always wanted to try it, however I'm scared that if I leave my current career path, I may fail. Life is so scary, however one of these days I will need to get a kick in the ass to take the plunge.

At the end of the day, I have a great paying job, a wife, two amazing dogs, and my mother in life who has always supported me. My childhood self should be proud, and if he's not, **** em! :)

funnier6

Courage~
As for who I am as a person I think my younger self would be proud that I held up and never gave in to any of the things I promised I would never do.

As for accomplishments he’d probably be quite disappointed at all the nothing I’ve managed to do so far aside from a few exceptions. He’d also be horrified as I am now close friends with someone I used to be bitter enemies with so that would take some explaining.

For the most part though, I still have a chance to do all I wanted, but we’ll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom