• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Courage

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
The sound of many voices woke her, a distant rumble reminiscent of Castle Town. It was actually quite relaxing. It was something Lila wasn't familiar with, but she thought she could get used to it. Her bed was very comfortable, so she didn't want to leave her curled-up position.

She thought about the day before. Her trial. She had passed, and now was officially the Hero of Courage. What did that even mean? And Zale was the Son of Wisdom? Lila had never heard that term before, or even the reverse gender version of the Heroes past. Perhaps there were just as many secrets of heroism as being a spy.

Reluctantly, she pushed the covers off her and sat on the bed. Her clothes had been changed, so her tunic and accessories lay on a nearby table, freshly clean. She was glad to have clean clothes but hoped her caretakers kept her modest.

A few of the other beds around her still held a few Hylians from the previous battle. She even recognized a younger man who had yet to wake up. He looked thin, and his skin was a bit ashy-colored. Lila's gut twisted; she had been on the wrong side all her life, and these people had to pay for her lack of courage. She couldn't let anyone else be harmed because of her. For the first time, she felt what Zale consistently told her could be true. She would use courage to keep others safe.

As Lila pondered, her nurse came by with a drink of water and some bread. The woman no longer looked at her with fear, but with something brighter, something Lila had never seen before... except maybe on Zale. She asked, "How's Zale?"

The woman smiled softly and chirped, "He's resting soundly. He's ever so peaceful when he sleeps. Looks just like the Goddess, only more handsome," she finished with a giggle.

Ignoring the bit of confusion brought on by such an odd statement, Lila asked, "Is there a place I can change privately?"

The woman nodded and pointed to an opening on Lila's left. "You can leave your sleeping gown on the bench."

"Thank you," Lila said, gathering up her things.

A few minutes later, Lila stepped outside the hospital tent to feel a gentle breeze in the lazy afternoon sunlight. Although the many people displaced by Ganondra were now sharing tents in a forest, Lila could sense a new energy about them. She saw smiles, watched children play, and occasionally heard singing. The singing reminded her of some of the few times she felt happy growing up. The Gerudo women loved to sing, whether alone in their homes or performing errands. However, Lila had never joined them.

As she wandered around the camp, she saw a keese perched on a little girl's shoulder. Lila did a double take, wondering why a keese would be outside a cave. Then she realized it must be Mori and little Zelda. The girl looked almost exactly like Zale except her eyes were green, and her hair was done up in a few braids. Most of her yellow-blonde hair hung loosely though, down to her waist. She looked to be around ten or eleven years old. Lila noted the lack of regalia on the princess. One other woman stood by, probably the princess's handmaiden.

"Mori, it's good to see you again," Lila greeted as she approached. Zelda and the maiden stopped their conversation and looked at her with confusion.

Seeing Lila fit and walking about, Mori flew quickly to her side. "You're okay! How'd the trial go?"

Lila showed off her bow. "Not as bad as people made it out to be. Are you going to introduce me to your new friends?"

"Oh yeah! Ella," he said the name pointedly, "do you remember Lila?"

Zelda nodded shyly. "It's nice to meet you, Hero."

Lila blushed and waved off her politeness. "I'm no one special. Did you get out safely, um, Ella?"

She nodded again with a broad smile. "Thanks to you and Mori. Nellie met us at the bottom of the stairs. I'm glad she was also safe, and I would have been lost without her."

"I'd have been so upset if you got hurt," said the maiden, "or worse." Nellie appeared older than Lila, but only by a few years. She had soft brown hair braided into a bun and caring brown eyes. She seemed to focus on Zelda but also watched their surroundings. Lila thought she must be great at keeping her ward out of harm even though she didn't look particularly trained in combat.

Lila lowered her voice for her next question. "Is your identity still a secret to everyone?"

A worried look appeared on Nellie's face, but Zelda seemed unphased. "Yes. It was one of my father's last orders, or so I hear." Her tone lowered in sadness. "No one knows where he is."

"Don't you worry my lady," said Nellie. She placed a small hand on the girl's back. "I'm sure we'll find him well soon enough." The sentiment didn't revive Zelda's spirit, and Lila wondered how many times she had already heard it.

Mori fidgeted uncomfortably, reminding Lila of his lack of experience on the subject. She tried turning the conversation to something lighter by asking what Zelda and Nellie liked to do in their spare time. She learned Zelda had an extensive sewing collection at home, and Nellie most enjoyed caring for stray animals around Castle Town. They were both sad to be away from home. Lila sympathized, but leaving her own home was one of the best choices she ever got to make. She briefly wondered how much freedom Zelda had but decided it probably wouldn't help the mood.

As the sun hung lower in the sky, Lila said goodbye to the other three. Mori seemed to like being with Zelda, which she didn't mind. It was nice to have a bit more time to herself. She wandered deeper into the forest, letting the silence embrace her. She breathed in the earthy smells, strangely comfortable smells, much damper than those of the desert. She thought to herself, This is where I could live.

Soon she heard a small, soothing tune arise. It sounded familiar – though she couldn't place where she'd heard it before. The song felt like it was both a welcoming home and a setting free for adventure. Then it was joined by voices as the melody shifted and danced. Before she knew it, she found herself crossing into a village.

The village was considerably smaller than both Castle Town and Gerudo Village, but not just in area. The homes were grown right from trees, but the roofs were only a little bit taller than Ganondra herself. Everything from the homes to the quiet brook was toned in green, making it all feel alive. Even the dust mites in the air seemed to twinkle along with the music.

In the center of the village were half a dozen children dressed in all green similar to Lila's own tunic. Multicolored lights flickered in the air, dancing and whirling around them. After a moment she realized the lights were fairies. Nabooru had told her they were nearly extinct, and if she ever found one to bottle it and bring it to her. Seeing their joyful movements and happy companions, it occurred to her they were far too precious and filled with goodness to go anywhere near him. She wondered, even, if he had an active hand in their loss in numbers.

As she grew closer, the fairies stopped moving and twittered with bell-like voices. The children stopped their playing to look. Their eyes went wide at the sight of Lila, but they didn't move from where they were standing. They stared at Lila with wonder but also fear, and Lila looked back with a half smile.

She raised her hand and gave a small wave. "H-hi. My name is Lila. I'm sorry I disturbed you; I just heard your music and instinctively followed."

The fairies conversed excitedly with the children listening in. Lila occasionally picked out a few words, particularly "hero" and "courage."

Finally, one boy and one girl stepped forward like they were the ones in charge. The boy spoke first.

"You don't belong here," he said flatly.

The girl quickly hushed him and shoved him lightly. "Mido, don't you see who it is?" She added to Lila, "Don't listen to him. He's still jealous."

"Am not!"

"Are too! Anyway, you must be here for a reason. The Hero of Time hasn't been seen for centuries."

Another child piped up, "I thought the Hero of Time is a boy."

"He is, or – was," the girl answered. "She is a different Hero."

"Oh, right." Though the child said it like he understood exactly what she was talking about, his face showed otherwise. "So... she... was a he... in a past life?"

"Basically," the boy said with a sly look. Lila blushed.

Unperturbed, the girl stated, "We are the children of Kokiri Forest, and these are our fairies." She waved to the lights floating around them. "Do you know why you're here?"

Lila answered, "Only that I heard your music. Why? Are there monsters that need killing? That's about all I'm good at."

The girl smiled, but her eyes turned down to the instrument in her hands. For the first time, Lila paid attention to it. The wooden object was small, about the exact size for her hands, with seven holes. The body was round like a goose and had a pipe on one side, presumably for blowing into. She vaguely remembered a picture of one of her predecessors featuring a blue version. To her surprise, the girl held it out to her.

"This is a fairy ocarina. You may know of something called the Ocarina of Time. I gave the Hero of Time a fairy ocarina just like this before he got it. I never saw him after he helped me awaken as the Forest Sage. I want you to have this one."

"Me? I can't take that—"

"To play it, put the long piece to your lips and blow," she explained over Lila's protest. "Put your fingers over the holes in different combinations to make each note."

Lila held the instrument with reverence. "But what will you play?"

She nodded and smiled gently. "I have others. Unfortunately, the Ocarina of Time is currently missing. Maybe this will help you recover it."

"Okay," Lila replied, "I'll find it for you."

"Thank you," the girl said. "It's time to go. If you find the Ocarina, come back to this forest. We'll be waiting for you." The girl and the other children each took a step back and waved.

Lila waved back. "I'll do my best. I'm glad I got to meet you." She turned around and retraced her path back to the Hylian camp. The music faded faster than it had appeared. She looked back, but no sign of the village or its inhabitants remained. Though she felt like she was in a dream, the fairy ocarina reminded her of her new task. Unsure of where to start looking she decided to ask Zale about it later.

Lila hoped she'd be able to return the artifact.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
Lila played around with the ocarina on her way back to camp. She had three notes of the forest's song down by the time she returned. All of the light had faded into night.

As the people prepared for bed, heads continued to turn as she passed, and the music only had them turning faster. She still felt self-conscious, but her playing, however inaccurate, seemed to bring happiness. Soon she felt like a fairy herself. She allowed herself to be proud of the hope she created.

Before long, she made it to Zale's tent. He came outside when he heard the music. The look on his face made Lila smile. She finished whatever she was playing to talk to him.

Zale wondered, "Where did you get that?"

"From the Kokiri," Lila replied lightly.

He raised an eyebrow. "Kokiri? Huh..."

"Yeah, they said the Ocarina of Time is missing and that this might help me find it."

His mouth hung open and his eyes went wide. "How... but where... Now?"

Lila cocked her head. "What's got your tongue?"

Zale lightly shook his head. "I didn't know the Kokiri were real. Although to be honest, if anyone were to find them, it would be you."

"What do you mean?"

"No one has ever actually seen a Kokiri, or at least not written about it. They're only ever mentioned in the legend of the Hero of Time, so not much is known about them. You said the Ocarina is missing? How would they know? I thought it disappeared with the Hero."

"Um... I don't really know," Lila answered. "I didn't even know any of what you just said. Maybe they didn't want the Hero to leave with it?" She shrugged.

"I'll have to do more research. Unfortunately, we can't exactly visit the castle library right now, so it'll have to wait."

"Yeah, I guess so. Speaking of, do we have a plan?"

Zale nodded. "Mostly. We're having a war council tomorrow. I told the generals you would give us intel, but the basic plan is solid. I'll tell you all about it then."

"Aw, no fair," Lila joked. "Why do I have to be left out?"

"You're fighting Ganondra, does that count?"

She pretended to think. "Hmm, I suppose. What will you be up to?"

"I'm staying in the command tent until the field is cleared a bit, and then I'll join the archers. Something about not wanting the prince to die," he added with a smile.

"Meh, you probably won't be much help anyway," Lila teased. Zale only smiled back.

"It's getting late," he told her. "You should head to bed."

"Are you not going to sleep?"

"I am. I just want to make sure you're well rested."

She crossed her arms and said, "You don't need to tell me what to do. You need to be well rested, too."

"Of course, or else my mind won't be as sharp. Shall I walk you to your tent?"

"Psh, I can handle myself." She turned around to leave and then realized, "Um, am I supposed to stay in the medical tent?"

Zale giggled. "You could sleep with me if you'd prefer. There aren't many other beds."

Lila's face burned. "Why would I do something like that?" He only continued to laugh, and she heard some of the others around them chortle as well. That made her blush even deeper. She stormed off while muttering insults under her breath.

Lila woke the next day to the sound of nurses and doctors – and Zale shoving her.

"Wake up, sleepy head!" he said. "You're late for the meeting."

She bolted up in bed. Could he not stop teasing her? "You didn't tell me it would be this early!"

"It's almost lunch. There will be food while we're talking."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Fine. Give me a minute, will ya?" She went into the private room to calm herself down.

A few minutes later the two stood over a map of Castle Town and Hyrule Castle. There were five other people there, all official-looking, and most adults. Lila tried to make herself look more mature. Three were Hylian, but one was a Goron and the other was a Zora. Two of the Hylians were female.

Zale started, "Right. Now that we're all here, let's go over the basic plan again. We will have mounted archers here and here. Our main units—"

"Excuse me, Prince Zale," said a dark-haired man. Lila was surprised to see the anger on his face.

Zale gave him a calm look as he replied, "What is it, General Davros?"

"Why should we listen to a child like you?" the man demanded. He smacked his hand on the table. "With the king gone, the command should fall to me."

Zale raised his arms in defense. "I didn't mean to step—"

"How do we even know you're his legitimate son?" This time a woman with red hair similar to that of the Gerudo.

"Pardon me, General Eri, but you of all people should know—"

The woman looked appalled. "How dare you speak to me that way!"

As everyone in the room started to get riled up, Lila had just about enough of their useless fighting. She stomped her foot and commanded, "Stop squabbling! If you don't trust Zale, trust me." She took off her glove and showed the glowing Triforce for emphasis. "Ganondra is not going to back down just because you don't attack her. Her lust for power drives her to subjugate or kill all who oppose her. And if you're not killed right away, she toys with you, tortures you with sticky sweet words, and causes you pain for the fun of it. I should know."

She took a deep breath, looking into each of their eyes. The generals looked at her in astonishment, some even with their mouths open. On the other hand, Zale's expression was soft and warm. She gave him a smile back.

"So what do you want:" Lila concluded, "a life of terror or the courage to stop it? Listen to Prince Zale; he's saved me on a number of occasions because, guess what, he has the Triforce of Wisdom! It pays to be willing to listen to the wise."

The tent was silent for some time. Lila noticed a slight redness in Zale's cheeks. Hah! It was her turn to embarrass him! She smirked and folded her arms, waiting for the adults to come to their senses.

The last Hylian, a blonde woman in furs, spoke up first. "If I know anything about history, it's that the Hero of the Twilight knew how to save Hyrule from the darkness. I'm sure his descendant will do the same."

The Goron added, "I've heard of Zale before, goro. Some of my people grew fond of him before anyone knew his true identity, goro. I say we give these two a chance."

They all looked at Davros. It seemed Eri had already changed her mind. The general's arms were crossed, but he grumbled, "Fine. But our deaths are on him."

"More like our lives," Lila said. She turned to the prince. "So, what's the plan?"

The rest of the meeting went smoothly after that. Even when it was Lila's turn to share what she knew about Ganondra, the Gerudo, and Kotake and Koume, the others didn't give protest. It was harder asking them to capture instead of kill as many Gerudo women as possible, but she made it through by reminding them of the other enemies they would face.

The planning went on until after nightfall, so food was brought to them twice. Lila was surprised at how exhausted she was but still felt pumped for the battle tomorrow. She didn't even mind that she would have to wake up early.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
The sun sat barely over the horizon. Lila donned the armor she acquired while working for Ganondra, all covered by the Cloak of Shadows. A calm settled over her. Though she was excited to finally be rid of the Shadow Chieftess, the gravity of her task was sobering. If she failed, all of Hyrule would experience another age of darkness and despair. She would not fail.

The entire camp was silent with the same feelings. All around her, Hylians, Gorons, and Zoras prepared for their own battles. The sight brought a lump to her throat, remembering the Gerudo women doing the same thing not long ago. She didn't know any of them personally but wished no one had to get hurt. Only she should be punished; it was all her fault.

Zale would tell her otherwise. Lila didn't even need to see him to know how he would reply. He'd tell her there was no way to change the past. They had to continue onward to make any changes. Looking back only slowed you down. With that in mind, she visited his tent one last time.

"So you're ready. Good," Zale said without looking at her when she walked in. She noticed a tremor in his hands as he gathered his supplies. "You should head out soon."

Lila walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him. She felt just how skinny he was, how fragile. She wouldn't let him down. He relaxed immediately at her touch and stopped his frantic movements.

"Everything will be okay," she told him. "This will all be over soon."

Zale stroked her hand, his head still hung low. "My, you have changed quite a lot."

"It's all because of you, my prince. You taught me who I'm meant to be. Because of you, I will defeat Ganondra, no matter the cost."

He turned around, holding her hands in his. His eyes glistened in a way Lila had never seen before. Was he crying?

"I don't want to lose you," Zale said quietly. "I think... I think I didn't know how scared I was until now. Please, don't let the cost be your life." His words left her too stunned to reply until he moved to get back to work. She stopped him and they looked into each other's eyes.

"It doesn't matter unless you and Hyrule are safe."

His brow furrowed. "Don't say things like that. I need you to come back to me. I need you safe, too!" This time he broke her grasp.

Lila thought a moment, unsure of herself. It seemed he felt the same way about her as she felt about him. If that were the case…

"Okay, I promise I'll return to you," she said. Zale turned around immediately and gave her a great big hug.

"That's all I ask," he whispered.

Knowing time was short, Lila pulled out of the hug first. She stood in the entryway and looked back. She smiled.

"Goodbye, my prince."

With that, she pulled up her hood and disappeared.

By the time Lila reached Castle Town, the battle had already begun. It was just as they'd planned, so she could sneak in without interference. She walked across Hyrule Field, preserving her strength. In the cavernous sewer, the sounds of battle were distant thunder that chipped at her nerves. Only then did she start to get anxious.

There were a few prisoners in the dungeon. Lila wanted to stop but didn't because of her mission. The trapped Hylians looked as battered and bruised as one of Ganondra’s playthings. She wondered how many had died already. Though she passed the cells for the outer door, none of them heard or saw a thing thanks to her cloak.

The rest of the castle was silent. The emptiness sent chills through her whole body, making her jump involuntarily. The sound echoed, too loudly. She waited for her heart to calm down.

No lights illuminated the great hall. Smoke billowed from outside to block even the light from the windows. Lila looked around wildly, knowing she couldn't hide forever.

And she was right. Shrieks of laughter startled her so badly that she let out a small scream. That laughing was not Ganondra’s. That laughing could only belong to Kotake and Koume.

The hall lit eerily with the light from their magic: ice and fire trailing from their flying brooms. Even though she was invisible, Kotake shot a giant icicle straight for her. Lila barely had time to block it with her shield.

"Well look who it is, sister!"

"Why it's our very own Lila! Isn't she such a beautiful traitor?"

Lila hurried to throw her cloak to the side so it wouldn't hinder her movements. Her hair was tied up under her hat, but some of it escaped over her eyes.

"Yes. Now it's time for the traitor to die!"

In unison, the witches hurled their magics where Lila had been standing. She recovered from the dodge thinking, How do I get them to come down? My sword won't reach them!

The witches didn't miss a beat. They continued throwing fireballs and ice spears, hardly giving her time to breathe.

Kotake complained, "Stop flitting about like a raven and let us kill you properly."

Finally, Lila remembered her bow. She ducked behind a pillar to ready it. As she pulled back an arrow from the owl, the arrowhead glowed bright blue, just like Kotake's ice.

The witch must have seen the glow because she said, "What's that?"

Lila answered by rounding the pillar and aimed for Koume. The old witch was too slow to avoid the arrow, but it still missed the vital areas.

"Lila," Koume whined, "didn't we raise you better than this?"

Kotake threw back her head and laughed. "Yeah, the Lila we knew wouldn't have missed." Her mockery ended with a small gasp as a flaming arrow struck her chest.

"Sister!" Koume cried. She attacked Lila again. "You will pay for that!"

Lila held up her shield but felt the heat of the fire. Koume had thrown it with so much force it nearly knocked her to the ground.

"Is that all you've got?" Lila shouted. Her shield was still up when another shard of ice hurtled toward her. It was time to retreat behind another pillar.

"Are you playing hide-and-seek, little traitor?" Kotake hissed. "You know how good we are at that game."

Lila let the horrible memories fuel her anger as she shot another arrow. This one hit Koume squarely, sending her flying a few feet across the room. Lila didn't have time to react before she was bathed in flames. Through the pain, she rolled over to the closest pillar she could see. She stood up and nocked another arrow... to see Kotake right in front of her.

"Die, traitor!" the witch seethed. Out of her hand shot the coldest ice Lila had ever felt, but for some reason, she didn't get frozen in place. Quickly, she loosed the arrow on her tormentor. Kotake screamed as flames enveloped her body, radiating from the arrow deep in her chest. Lila hoped she was down for good.

Shaking, Lila breathed heavily, feeling the cold slow her body. She had to get moving or she would freeze. She bolted from the pillar just as another fireball hit it.

"You killed her!" Koume screeched. "You killed my darling sister! How? You're not supposed to be this strong!"

Lila stared right at the witch's face and smirked. "You're next," she said, letting another arrow fly. Koume flew out of the way easily and retaliated. When Lila nocked the next arrow, it had kept with the pattern and burned with flames. She wasn't sure how that would affect the fire witch but shot her anyway. The flames simply joined with Koume's own and she laughed.

"Did you think that would work? Think again." Koume sprayed fire at Lila and flew in close. Lila had to run while blocking with her shield, unable to fight against the relentless charge. She pulled out her sword, hoping the witch would get close enough. Finally came a break in the fire, and Lila struck where she thought Koume would be. A painful scream told her of her success.

"Why?" Koume screeched as she fell, dying. "You weren't... supposed to... be so strong..."

The light of her magic died and Lila dropped to her knees, gasping. She didn't have much time to recover, though, as powerful clapping rang through the hall.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
Lila's spine tingled as she turned around slowly. There was the Shadow Chieftess herself, looking like she had just watched something very entertaining.

"Well done, Lila, well done," Ganondra lauded. "For a moment there I thought Kotake had you. Tell me, why didn't you freeze?"

Lila coughed out a laugh. "Thanks to you I have some Chainmail that is Impervious. Comes in handy."

"So it seems." Ganondra sighed, "It will be such a pity to see it destroyed along with you, but maybe it'll be all that's left of your corpse."

Raising her sword and shield, Lila shouted, "It's time for your tyranny to end!" She charged. Ganondra didn't move so she knew she made the wrong move. Without a way for her to stop in time, Ganondra easily back-handed her out of the way. Lila fell back, feeling the fear return. She fought it and stood. Ganondra still hadn't moved.

"You don't really expect it to be that easy, do you?" she mocked. "Come now, show me what you've learned."

Lila tried to not let her into her head. She was just another dungeon boss, not the most terrifying woman alive. She would defeat Ganondra so Zale didn't have to be lonely. She took another deep breath and approached, slower this time.

Ganondra said, "That's more like it. Unfortunately for you, I have business elsewhere. There's a prince that needs to be killed."

"No!" Lila cried, but Ganondra was already a shadowy cloud speeding away. It was like Ganondra knew what Lila was thinking and directly hit her weak spot. Lila sheathed her sword and ran after the cloud but lost sight of it quickly. She hoped she could reach the field in time to save Zale.

She couldn't live without him.

Lila didn't bother with the secret passage this time and ran straight through the city, pushing away anyone in her path with her shield. She may have been cut a time or twenty, but she ignored it all. Only Zale mattered. The only thought she had was killing Ganondra before she killed her prince. Running wasn’t fast enough, and there were too many obstacles. Lila used her hookshot to get on top of the nearest roof. Then she ran across the roof and used her hookshot again to get to the next rooftop. Finally, she made it to Hyrule Field.

Bodies of all races and creatures littered Hyrule Field, but Lila didn't spare them a thought. She searched the battle until she saw Ganondra. To her surprise, she stood in the middle of the field, facing the city and grinning wickedly. Had she tricked her? It didn't matter; Ganondra was going to die.

An area had cleared of all fighting around Ganondra. Lila didn't know if she was using magic or if she was that intimidating. Lila drew her sword before she reached her.

"This is it, my pet," Ganondrda said. "You have fought against me long enough. It is time for your final punishment!" This time she charged at Lila with her two enormous black swords. Lila had never seen her move so fast. It took all of her might to block Ganondra and then throw her back, only for her to attack again. If this kept up, Lila would never get in a strike. She had to change the tempo. She had to find a way to knock Ganondra off her guard. Carefully, she watched and waited. Each blow jarred her arms, adding to her pain.

There! A spot opened up and she twisted to the side. Her sword struck Ganondra in the back.

Ganondra jumped away and growled, "Time to die, pest." She tried to start the barrage again, but this time Lila moved the other way. Ganondra’s momentum when she stopped made her lean forward, almost falling. Lila had time to hit her back again. Ganondra threw out her arm, sending Lila flying. It took her a second to recover, and Ganondra stood over her by the time she did. Lila didn't let her get her, though, and thrust with her sword. They battled again, and this time Lila kept up. She got in a few more wounds on Ganondra until she used magic to throw Lila back.

Lila was still on the ground when Ganondra was upon her. Ganondra kicked Lila’s sword out of reach from her outstretched arm and then kicked her in the stomach. She felt the blood rising to her mouth before she coughed it up. She couldn't get her eyes to focus. Was this the end?

Ganondra crushed her sword hand with her boot and Lila screamed from the intense pain. Ganondra was laughing now, but Lila could see that the chieftess was weaker than before. If she could just get up, she might be able to finish her.

The Shadow Chieftess spat out some blood and bile. "Stop your fighting, Lila. You know I have won. Hyrule belongs to me, now, and it's all thanks to you. Such a good spy, even if you turned on me in the end." She laughed again, watching Lila struggle to her knees. She was seeing spots where the blackness didn't rim her vision. Every breath hurt, every movement hurt, but she wouldn't let Ganondra beat her. Not this time. She finally grasped the Master Sword in her right hand when she heard a small grunt from her old leader.

Lila looked up to see an arrow made entirely of light protruding from Ganondra’s chest. Her face contorted in anger and pain as she fell to his knees. Lila held her sword tightly and approached. Ganondra punched her, but she ignored it. She couldn't hurt her – or Zale – ever again. Lila plunged the Master Sword right through her heart.

Then Lila collapsed.

Her ears were ringing, but the pain was gone. Zale's face hovered in her vision. He was talking, but she couldn't hear. He held her. Tears poured down his face. Lila closed her eyes, content that he was alive.

Zale clutched his love to his chest. He could barely feel her pulse, and she didn't react to anything he said or did. He didn't care that they were in the mud next to the Dragon of the Desert's corpse. The Master Sword glowed with an ethereal light on its blade, which had appeared right after he shot the arrow. But was his arrow too late? The light of both slowly faded as Ganondra’s body turned to stone.

Dried blood caked around Lila's mouth. She had numerous cuts, bruises, and burns over every patch of skin he could see. Her tunic and hat were ruined almost beyond repair. Can I repair her? He worried she had lost too much blood already.

The sounds of battle slowed around them. With Ganondra dead, the survivors that followed her surrendered or retreated. Some of Zale's allies ran to them: his personal servant and guard, Salvatore; a Zora medic; and a couple of his other retainers. He didn't let go of Lila until the Zora told him to lay her flat.

He leaned his forehead against hers, his tears spilling onto her face, and whispered, "You promised me you'd come back. Come back to me, Lila. Come back."

By this time the sword's light had completely faded, and Ganondra was now entirely made of stone. Some sort of magic made a heart-shaped object made of ruby and gold appear. Zale remembered the only other time he saw one and his spirits lifted. The heart burst into red and gold sparkles, which then entered Lila's body. She took a few shaky, deep breaths, but didn't wake.

The Zora checked her pulse. "She's doing better. What was that magic?"

Zale's voice cracked as he answered, "An object that only appears to the Hero after a great battle."

The medic nodded with interest. "We need to get her out of here," he said soberly. "She may be stable, but not for long. She's still losing blood."

The group rushed Lila to the medical tents. Salvatore had the forethought to bring her gear.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
The next night, after a full day of running the kingdom on his own, Zale had a minute to himself. He returned to Lila's room, sat on a chair by her bed, and held her uninjured hand. Her equipment sat on a table opposite an open window, through which shouts and music could be heard, but the Master Sword leaned against the bed stand. He didn't feel right parting it from her, even if only across the room.

Though he held them back for so long, tears streamed down his face. He spoke to Lila, even though she couldn't hear him. He needed someone to confide in, to support him.

"You did it, Lila," he whispered. "Hyrule is safe thanks to you. The town and castle are being repaired quickly. While they're doing so, the people are celebrating your victory, but a deep sadness hangs in the air. Still, they've gone on nearly all day and all night."

He sighed and closed his eyes. Then he looked at the moonlight illuminating her things. "You promised you'd come back, and I'm holding you to that promise. Everyone's waiting for you to join the party."

He paused. "My father's still missing. We've searched all of the castle and the grounds several times over. We've found a lot of people, but not him." He paused again. Softly, he rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. "Until he's found, I'm in charge, and Zelda has to remain in secrecy. Let me tell you, it's hard work bringing a kingdom back from devastation all by myself." He laughed a hollow laugh.

"The generals went home with their soldiers, except for Fapiath. You may remember she's the burly, blonde woman from Ordon Province. She asked to see you for a personal matter. When I told her you were still unconscious, she insisted she'd stay and wait. She's taken over the care of the animals. She loves animals..."

Zale's voice drifted off. He closed his eyes and leaned back in the chair.

"I wish you could be here with me. It's amazing to see the change in people. The crime rate has gone down and productivity has risen. Having a common goal has united them so that they've set aside their differences and vices.

"Won't you please come back?"

Lila's hand twitched in his, and he bolted upright. She was moving like she was trying to wake from a bad dream.

"I'm here, Lila," Zale said softly. "You're safe. You can rest easy now."

Her eyes flickered open heavily. He smiled a big smile at her and said, "Welcome back, my love."

She opened her mouth to say something but was too parched. He reached for a juice that sat on her bed stand, another thing waiting for her.

"Drink slowly," he instructed as he held up her head. "There. Did that help?"

Lila nodded slowly. "You're okay," she whispered.

The tears sprang back to Zale's eyes and he smiled wider. "Yes, I am. And so are you, and so is all of Hyrule. But I almost lost you out there, even though you promised to return to me. That wasn't very nice."

She managed to raise one side of her mouth in a tiny grin. "So...Ganondra—?"

"Is dead. You defeated her."

She looked to the window as though noticing the sound outside. Zale explained, "Everyone's happy because of you. They've been partying day and night since the battle."

Lila wondered, "How long?"

"A day or so," he said noncommittally. "You probably only need a few days more before you get out of that bed."

"That would be nice." She closed her eyes, but the smile was stronger now. "I don't like being in a bed all the time. It gets boring."

Zale let out a laugh, making her jump. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I'm just so relieved to be talking with you again."

"You should get some sleep," Lila told him. "I think you need it more than me."

"You're right. You have no idea how hard I've been working."

He never let go of her hand the whole time.

Lila awoke to darkness a few days later. The moonlight was the only source of light. She stretched while still laying down, feeling all of the aches and pains. The fingers of her left hand were strapped together to keep the bones in place, so her joints hurt a lot from disuse. She longed to be outside again, maybe dueling with the soldiers who fought by her side.

An unusual sound interrupted her musing, coming from outside the window. Curious, Lila closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep. She heard a person making their way toward her, though they were nearly silent. She felt the person close to her. Too close. Too close to her sword.

Her good hand shot out to grab the intruder. It was too dark to see his face, but he almost had his hand on the Master Sword.

"Guar—mrnm" Lila yelled, but he covered her mouth. It didn't do him any good. Two guards stood posted just outside her room at all hours. Who knew she would actually need their help?

The door burst open, letting in a flood of light. They grabbed the intruder and started forcing him outside the door.

"Let go of me! That sword belongs to me!" he shouted, desperately trying to escape. Then the light illuminated his face, and Lila gasped.

"Wait!"

"We've got this—hrn—, my lady," one guard grunted. "You can go back to sleep."

"But—" They didn't stay to listen.

An uncontrollable shiver overtook Lila's body. She recognized that face. She knew that face.

It was her own.

End of book one.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
Now for book 2! Dark Mirror

The battlefield flashed before Prince Zale's eyes - a muddied and bloodied land where he used to ride his horse and play with his little sister. What once was green and inviting now turned to charred ash under the dead and dying. It took most of the blonde man's will to leave those broken bodies of his comrades and enemies, but he had to keep his cool for the generals' sake. If he lost his head now, they would never stop drowning him in guilt, not that he wasn't doing that already.

The young prince looked back at the map he held in his hands. It seemed his forces were dwindling, and no one had news of Lila's whereabouts. Their survival depended on her and the Master Sword, the Blade of Evil's Bane. She was alone, hopefully battling the Shadow Chieftess Ganondra... and not dying in the process. Before the battle started, Zale had made her promise to return. He sorely hoped she did - he might not be able to live on without her.

A soldier ran to the command tent clutching his arm where an arrowhead buried itself. His hair and clothes were soaked in blood, and his eyes showed he was close to losing consciousness. A blue-scaled man with fins on his arms and legs caught the soldier before he fell. General Jovom placed a webbed hand over the arrowhead, and the area glowed with a soft blue light.

Prince Zale couldn't wait until the soldier was healed to question him.

"What's happened? Where's the rest of your troop?"

The soldier took shuddering breaths and replied, "Dead, but some may only be injured. We were wiped out by a mob of bokoblins, and they're headed this way.

General Davros, behind Zale, growled and took his hammer. "Time to move, Prince." Zale nodded his thanks to the soldier and grabbed his crossbow. The other generals gathered their own weapons. The Goron general, Nodu, also had a hammer, but the rock man's strength allowed him to wield one much larger than Davros's. The woman from Ordon, Fapiath, mounted her horse, lance at the ready. The Kakariko general, Eri, double-checked the belt around her waist that held numerous tools as well as a sword. When Jovon finished with the soldier, he grabbed his silver sword and shield.

"I'll watch your back," the soldier volunteered.

Jovon countered, "You'll likely reopen the wound if you fight. I didn't heal you completely."

The soldier shook his head and readied his bow. "Doesn't matter. You all go. May Hylia bless your passage." He turned to face the oncoming enemy, and the others left. Zale had a feeling the soldier would fight to the death. He didn't even know his name.

The generals separated to join their soldiers in battle. Prince Zale looked for any sort of vantage point. Until Lila appeared, he wanted to protect any he could. Then he would protect her.

A large figure in black and red armor appeared in the middle of the battlefield. Combatants scattered, giving her a wide berth. It seemed like she had put up a magical barrier of some sort. No one attempted to attack her, except Zale. He pulled back the string of his crossbow, creating an arrow made of golden light. As soon as he loosed the arrow, the Shadow Chieftess looked directly at the prince. Ganondra caught the arrow easily and crushed it. Zale felt his stomach churn at his sadistic smile.

A voice penetrated Zale's mind, as painful as a dagger. He buckled over, clutching his head.

"Don't dare to trifle with me, child," said the silky voice of Ganondra. "Your Hero is on her way, but I'll kill you first if you try to interfere again."

The voice retreated. Zale's ears were ringing, joining the cacophony of battle. When he looked up again, Ganondra was watching the town gates. Zale followed her gaze... and waited. Lila should be coming from there any minute. Right? Ganondra’s actions suggested she was still alive. They still had a chance.

As predicted, a battered woman in green clothes ran out of the gates. She stopped briefly to look for her adversary. She ran forward at the sight of the woman who was nearly three times her size.

Lila and Ganondra met in battle, and Zale watched on with horror. He didn't want Lila to die, but the Shadow Chieftess was so powerful, and Lila looked ready to collapse. Despite Ganondra’s warning, he prepared to shoot another arrow if he got the chance.

Prince Zale's Hero fell. Ganondra kicked her and stomped on something he couldn't see. That was the final straw. He released the arrow with a yell born from pure agony and fear. Tears blurred his vision, so he quickly wiped them out of the way. It took him some time to figure out what had happened.

Lady Ganondra was on her knees, looking at the sky. Something glowing brightly protruded from her chest. That must be the Master Sword, Zale thought. When he saw Lila, she was crumpled on the ground. He threw his crossbow to the side and ran to her.

"Lila!"

His gut-wrenching cry carried over the battlefield. Many warriors turned to look and stopped fighting. Others ignored the sound or couldn't hear it.

Zale took Lila in his arms. Her eyes were open, so he said, "Stay with me! You said you'd come back to me!" But her eyes closed and he thought the worst.

The Prince hadn't noticed, but four others followed him, one of them being a fish-like Zora healer. The Zora told him to lay Lila down gently.

The Master Sword's glow slowly faded as Ganondra’s body turned to stone. Once it was gone and she was made entirely of stone, some sort of magic made a heart-shaped object made of rubies and gold appear. Zale recalled another battle Lila had triumphed in, after which the same heart helped her heal miraculously. His spirit soared in hope, but still worried she was too injured to survive this time. The heart burst into red and gold sparkles, which then entered her body. She took a few shaky, deep breaths, but didn't wake.

Zale leaned his forehead against hers, his tears spilling onto her face, and whispered, "You promised me you'd come back. Come back to me, Lila. Come back."

"She's doing better but still losing blood. What was that magic?" the Zora healer asked.

Zale's voice croaked as he answered, "An object that only appears to the Hero after a great battle."

The medic nodded with interest. "We need to get her out of here," he said soberly. "She may be stable, but not for long."

Zale helped the others carry Lila to the medical tents. His personal servant - and friend - Salvatore, picked up her things, including the Master Sword. As he pulled the sword from the Shadow Chieftess's body, the stone crumbled to join the ash below as dust.

With the Gerudo Chieftess down, her remaining subjects surrendered or ran. Zale was glad their fight was over.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
The young prince had many duties to attend to after the battle, since his father, the king, had gone missing. It wasn't easy because his father had not announced an heir. He kept his children secret from his kingdom, for their safety, but also out of grief. Each child, Zale and Zelda, had had different mothers, but both died in childbirth. When the king saw that his firstborn was a son, he denied the child the privilege of royalty. He wanted a daughter to follow him, a reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia, so he took another wife. Having received the daughter he wanted, he kept her presence a secret so no one could hurt her.

However, the king still trained Zale in the ways of running a kingdom. Maybe to rule if he died before Zelda was old enough. Maybe because he truly did love his son, even if he didn't show it in other ways. Whatever the reason, Zale took every chance he got to study and travel, always eager to learn about the world around him.

Now he put that knowledge to use, but the loss of so many lives weighed him down. He felt partially responsible since he planned the battle but also knew there was nothing he could have done differently. Plus, Lila lay unconscious in a private room, and her life hung on by a thread that could cut at any second. He went to his love's room as soon as he was able, but it wasn't until the day after the battle.

The room was small but big enough to make it cozy. It was on the top floor of the east wing, away from all other people. A large window let her see the town below… if she ever woke up. On the opposite wall, Lila's equipment lay neatly on an oak table, except for the Master Sword. Zale felt he didn't want to part Lila from her sword, even if only a few feet away. The sword leaned against the bedstand, easily in reach if Lila needed it for any reason.

Sitting on a chair by Lila's bed, Zale took her hand, mostly to comfort himself. Unbidden, tears streamed down his face like the breaking of a dam. He hadn't allowed himself to show weakness until then. Even though she couldn't hear him or respond, he told her all of his troubles, his worries and fears, his self-doubt, and the affairs of the kingdom.

"You did it, Lila," he started with a low, worn voice. "Hyrule is safe thanks to you. The town and castle are being repaired quickly. While they're doing so, the people are celebrating your victory, but a deep sadness hangs in the air. Still, they've gone on nearly all day and all night."

He sighed and closed his eyes. Then he looked at the moonlight illuminating her things. "You promised you'd come back, and I'm holding you to that promise. Everyone's waiting for you to join the party."

He paused, a lump in his throat. "My father's still missing. We've searched all over the castle and the grounds several times over. We've found a lot of people, but not him." He paused again. Softly, he rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. "Until he's found, I'm in charge, and Zelda has to remain in secrecy. Let me tell you, it's hard work bringing a kingdom back from devastation all by myself." He let out a hollow laugh.

"The generals went home with their soldiers, except for Fapiath. You may remember she's the burly, blonde woman from Ordon Province. She asked to see you for a personal matter. When I told her you were still unconscious--" the words caught in his throat "--she insisted she'd stay and wait. She's taken over the care of the animals. She loves animals..."

Zale's voice drifted off. He closed his eyes and leaned back in the chair.

"I wish you could be here with me. It's amazing to see the change in people. The crime rate has gone down and productivity has risen. Having a common goal has united them, so they've set aside their differences and vices.

"Won't you please come back?"

Lila's hand twitched in his, and he bolted upright. She was moving like she was trying to wake from a bad dream.

"I'm here, Lila," Zale said softly, drawing close. "You're safe. You can rest easy now."

Her eyes flickered open heavily. Her beautiful eyes were the color of the sky. He smiled a big smile at her and said, "Welcome back, my love."

It was the first time he had called her that or even used the word to describe her. She opened her mouth to say something but was too parched. He reached for a juice that sat on her bedstand, another thing that waited for her.

"Drink slowly," he instructed as he held up her head. "There. Did that help?"

Lila nodded slowly, "You're okay," she whispered.

Hearing her voice brought tears back to Zale's eyes. Oh, how he had longed to hear her voice! He couldn't stop - even if he wanted to - his smile broaden as he said, "Yes, I am. And so are you, and so is all of Hyrule. But I almost lost you out there, even though you promised to return to me. That wasn't very nice."

He hadn't meant it as a joke, but he could see the mirth in the one side of her mouth that lifted into a tiny grin. "So... Ganondra--"

"Is dead. You defeated her." Zale wanted her to speak as little as possible while recovering.

She looked out the window as though noticing the sounds of celebration for the first time. Zale explained, "Everyone's happy because of you. They've been partying day and night since the battle.

Lila wondered, "How long?"

"A couple of days," he said noncommittally. "You probably only need a few days more before you get out of that bed."

"That would be nice." She closed her eyes, but the smile was stronger now. "I don't like being in a bed all the time. It gets boring."

Zale's laugh startled her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I'm just so relieved to be talking with you again."

"You should get some sleep," Lila told him. "I think you need it more than me."

"You're right. You have no idea how hard I've been working. Let me help you sleep first."

Lila rolled her eyes, but they drooped with deep tiredness. "I think I'll be out in a moment. Maybe it's the drink you gave me."

"Ah, that would make sense," Zale said. "It's probably a medicine to help you heal. Your body takes a lot of energy to heal, so you get more tired as it does so. The body is working much harder to fix your injuries, as well as prevent infection."

That seemed to be enough. Lila's eyes had closed and her breathing slowed down. Zale smiled loving at her sleeping form.

"Sleep well, my love."

He got up to leave when he heard a small sob. He paused, wondering what it could possibly be. He took a knife from among Lila's supplies and cautiously walked toward the window. Slowly, he leaned out his head. What he saw surprised him.

"Impa?"

A girl huddled on the roof under the window. She held her knees tightly, and her whole body shook with suppressed crying. Her silvery hair used to be tied in a bun, but now it hung wildly, obscuring her face. Zale only recognized her by her uniform, which was cut and torn.

He placed a hand on her and asked, "What's wrong, Impa? Why are you crying? Here, come inside and we'll talk."

He helped her stand, preventing a fall, and through the window. She kept her dark red eyes downcast as she wiped the strands of hair from her face. The first thing she could say coherently was, "I'm sorry, Prince Zale. I'm so sorry!"

Zale led her to a chair and made her sit. "Tell me what's going on."

The girl sobbed some more before she could say, "Your - your father he's - he's dead."

Zale’s whole body became weak. He staggered and leaned on Lila's bed. His throat tightened as tears threatened again. He could hardly breathe.

"H-how?"

Impa wiped her eyes and calmed herself, dreading what she had to tell him. After a brief pause, she began her tale.

"We Shiekah took the king before Ganondra could, but only had time to save him, no one else. We hid in the village of the Shiekah, but the king had been poisoned in the escape. It took Chief Tephi several days to heal him so we could return. On the way back, we were attacked."

She took a shuddering breath but still didn't look at Zale. "There were two old witches on brooms, one with the power of fire, the other with the power of ice. They commanded a small army of moblins and stalfos, so we didn't stand a chance. Chief Tephi ordered me to run to Hyrule Castle, but I hesitated. As I ran, the witches held me back with magic. The king - your father - used the last of his own magic to free me."

Impa's head fell into her hands and she cried some more. Zale watched her motionlessly, feeling dead inside. His father was dead, and his protectors couldn't stop it. The Shiekah were brilliant in their defensive combat, but that wasn't enough to save him.

The little girl in front of him - he realized she could only be a child - said, "I'm so sorry, Prince Zale. He died saving me. It's my fault he couldn't escape."

He touched her arm gently and shook his head. "There was nothing more you could do. You were needed to carry the message, and you succeeded. Because of you, I know who killed my - him." He found he couldn't say the word "father."

Impa asked, "Do you know who the witches were?"

"Yes," Zale answered. "Kotake and Koume. Lila had warned us about them, but they never showed themselves at the battle."

"What... what happened here?"

"We took the castle back from Ganondra," Zale told her proudly. "Lila killed her, but she hasn't recovered yet." He looked down at her scarred face, feeling the love and sadness blend in his stomach.

"I heard you talking to her," Impa probed.

He nodded. "I needed someone to confide in. While I told her about the kingdom, she woke up for a short time. Hopefully, that means the worst is over."

Impa also looked at the sleeping hero. "I'm sure she'll be fine," she said, not knowing if it was true. Lila looked pretty banged up.

Zale watched Lila for a few more seconds, and then he stood. "Let me take you to the infirmary. I'm sure your last few days have been rough."

Impa balked. "What about you? You look like you'll fall over from exhaustion at any minute!"

He smiled sadly. "Lila said the same thing. Don't worry, I'll go to bed after you're taken care of. Do you have street clothes?"

The Shiekah was a secret organization set up to protect the royal family. In order to keep that secret, they wore commoner clothes in public.

Impa shook her head. "No, I lost all of my things."

"I'll get you some. Wait here for a bit."

Zale went outside the room and talked to Salvatore, who left to find some clothes. Several minutes later, with Impa changed, they made their way to the infirmary ward. Zale dropped her off, telling an attendant, "She's another refugee. She only has a few injuries, but she's gone through a major emotional trauma." Then he and Salvatore headed for his rooms.

In a lonely hall, away from any prying eyes or ears, Zale couldn't hold it in any longer. He fell against the wall, crying uncontrollably. He felt so alone, so helpless. He didn't know how he would survive the next few weeks. After a time, Salvatore picked him up like a baby. He fell asleep in his friend's arms.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
A wet cloth dabbed his forehead when Zale woke up. He opened his eyes to see Salvatore sitting by his side.

"How are you feeling, Sire?"

Zale looked at the ceiling, remembering the events of the night before. Tears pooled in his eyes, so he closed them so Salvatore couldn't see. He covered his face with one hand, stopping the soothing cloth.

"We need to go to my fa-father's chambers," he said, cursing his wavering voice. He sat up, ignoring Salvatore's helping hands. Then he told Salvatore to leave until he could get dressed.

Zale walked quickly through the halls, Salvatore hurrying to keep up. The servant had to excuse the prince's rudeness, which slowed him down. When they were in the king's bedroom, Zale asked Salvatore to seal the room.

"It's done, Sire."

"No one will be able to hear anything?"

"No one."

Zale felt his heart pounding. He didn't want to have to think about Impa's story, but he had to be the one to break the news. Impa had said the king's will was in his chambers and that it was addressed specifically to Zale.

But he couldn't do it properly. He held his head in his hands as he sat on his father's bed and croaked, "He's dead, Salvatore! He's dead!"

The servant rushed to the prince's side. He put an arm around the boy's shoulders and said, "I'm so sorry, Sire."

"He was killed by Kotake and Koume! The Shiekah were overpowered. Only Impa survived to tell me..."

Salvatore gave Zale a moment to collect himself, then asked, "What can I do to help?"

Zale sniffled, He felt too weak. He leaned against Salvatore's chest, trying to relax. "His will is somewhere in these chambers. We need to find it."

"Yes, Sire. You rest here, and I'll look." He coaxed Zale to lie on the bed and then went off to search.

The young, tired prince couldn't bring himself to move. All of his strength had left him, leaving his body feeling heavy. He stared into nowhere, breathing slowly. His father was dead; Lila was on death's door; the kingdom was in shambles; the people relied on him.

But he was only seventeen. He wasn't even publically acknowledged until recently. So many wondered if he could lead them. He wondered if he could lead them. If bad news shook him this much to his core, what would happen if another crisis arose? But this wasn't just any bad news. He had lost his father.

It seemed just as the king was warming up to his son, Ganondra struck and tore them apart again. Zale wished he could see his father one last time, give him one last hug, tell him for the last time he loved him. Ganondra and her minions stole that from him. They stole his confidence.

And Zelda! His poor, poor little sister. She adored their father, and he doted on her. He gave her anything she asked for and more. She was too young to lose her father, being merely ten years old. Also, because of the secrecy surrounding her, she would only be able to share her grief with her servant, Nellie. Little Zelda had few other friends, none of whom knew her true identity and relationship to the dead king.

Zale sat up slowly as Salvatore returned with an envelope. He gave the envelope to the prince without a word. As Impa had told him, it was addressed to him, with a few unexpected words.

"Prince Zale, My Wonderful Son."

That brought back the tears. His father had never said anything like that while he was alive. To know his father thought of him as wonderful...

He must have been crying for too long because Salvatore slipped the envelope out of his hands. He looked up at his friend, his guard, his protector, with questioning eyes.

"You don't have to read this now, Sire," Salvatore explained. "You continue to rest, and I'll have breakfast brought up to us."

Zale pushed his hand away. "No, I have things needing to get done."

Salvatore made Zale lay back against the pillows. "There's no shame in mourning for a loved one. You need some time."

Zale sighed in frustration, but his body remained weak. He would have to do as Salvatore said, for which he was relieved. He let his friend take over and tried to ignore the pain.

Breakfast took a long time to get through, but he felt much stronger after eating. He put his napkin on his plate and said, "I'm ready." Salvatore watched Zale open the will with shaking hands. When Zale flattened the will on the table, Salvatore protested.

"Sire, this is not meant for me. There is information in there belonging to the royal family alone."

Zale stilled him. "I can't do this alone." Salvatore cautiously sat back in his seat. Zale took a deep breath and began reading.

"I, King Gaepora Nohansen Hyrule, do hereby declare this to be my final will and testament. The Kingdom of Hyrule and all of its territories belongs to my daughter, Zelda, upon my death," it started, but "daughter, Zelda" had been crossed out and replaced with "son, Zale." The original was something he somewhat expected, but the change made his head spin. Zale wasn't temporarily taking over, the kingdom now fell to him. He read on, skipping over the corrections that followed.

"This is his birthright as a descendant of the Goddess Hylia, whose blood flows through his veins. This blood also gives life to my daughter, Zelda, who is to remain a secret until the kingdom, and she, are safe.

"Though you mourn for my death, you must reveal yourself before my funeral. The transfer of power will go more smoothly if you do. I regret I couldn't do this sooner, and wish all of my subjects to take you as their king.

"Chief Tephi of the Shiekah will help you in your new role, as well as stay by your side in the shadows. She will guide you and keep you safe. She aided me when I became king, and she will now aid you."

There was a separate note at the bottom that looked to be written with the same ink as the revisions. The words made his voice crack, so Salvatore had to read it.

"Zale, I know I wasn't a good father to you. I taught you and treated you as a lesser person. I'm sorry things have to end this way and sincerely hope you can forgive me. Maybe we will meet again in the next life and be better friends. I love you, my dearest son. I just wish I saw my errors sooner."

There were other pages with details on the kingdom, but they left them aside for the time. Zale looked at the floor, not knowing what to do next. He thought of all the chaos around him and the responsibility he now had to bear. He thought of Zelda, Lila, Salvatore, and every one of his acquaintances. His father's last words left him not knowing how to feel, so he felt everything and nothing at the same time. He was happy but scared, sad but loved. The tears spilled from his eyes.

Zale's voice was raw when he finally spoke. "Salvatore, I... I can't deal with this on my own. I have too many burdens to bear. How does my f-father expect me to handle all of this?"

Salvatore spoke quietly yet firmly, "Sire, I know you. I know you will be great at this. You need not fear. I, and many others, will take on tasks as needed. You don't have to do everything by yourself. There are many who would love to lend you their aid. You just have to ask."

Zale sighed and forced the tears to stop. Crying wouldn't help anything. Salvatore was right, and Zale would be better with time.

"Let's get through the rest of this," he said with a clear voice. Salvatore smiled.

Laxyak Loves LoZ

Kobold Writer
That night, Zale had only begun to scratch the surface of the trials he faced. After reading and combing through the will, they had just enough time to assemble an emergency meeting before Salvatore forced him to bed. Messengers left to call back the Generals since they were important members of the court. Zale hated making them return before they settled at home, but they deserved to be a part of the future of the kingdom.

After Zale fell into a fitful sleep, Lila woke in her own bed. Nothing had changed since Zale had been there, except a new glass of that strange drink. The only light came from the moon outside, and the only sounds were distant partying. Most people were asleep this early in the morning, but that didn't seem to be enough to stop their jubilee. She stretched under the sheets, feeling every broken bone, every little sore, especially in her hand. Her left hand - her dominant hand - was crushed by Ganondra right before she could defeat her. She hoped she'd be able to use weapons properly in the future.

There was an unusual sound that interrupted her musing. It seemed to have come from outside. She decided to act with stealth, curious as to its source, and pretended to be asleep. Someone, or something, climbed carefully through the window. Lila could barely hear them; they must be trained. She sensed more than heard the intruder come near. They got close. Too close. And too close to her sword.

With the speed of a snake, Lila shot out her hand to stop the thief. She grabbed a wrist and opened her eyes, glaring. Whoever it was had his fingers almost touching her sword, but the darkness hid the figure in shadow. From what she could tell, he was Hylian like her.

Lila yelled, "Guar-mm!" The intruder covered her mouth with his free hand, but it didn't matter. Two soldiers had been assigned to watch her room at all times, so they easily heard her shout. Before the intruder could do any more, the door slammed open and he was restrained. He didn't give up, however.

"Let go of me!" he shouted as he was dragged into the lit hallway. "That sword belongs to me!" The light illuminated his face and Lila gasped.

"Wait!" she said.

"We've got this - hrn - my lady," one guard grunted. "You can go back to sleep."

"But--" The door closed on her protest, leaving her back in the dark. An uncontrollable shiver overtook her body. She had a hard time believing what she saw, but there was no denying it. She had seen his face before, but not on him. The intruder looked exactly like herself.

Lila couldn't sleep even if she drank the medicine. She sat up in bed despite her pain. Her mind reeled, wondering how someone could look just like her. Plus, he had claimed the Master Sword belonged to him. Maybe...? No, he couldn't be, but who else would it be? Maybe this mysterious person was none other than Link, one of her... ancestors? How was that possible? Then a thought came to her. If she had a doppelganger, maybe Zale had one, too.

Lila ripped the covers off and collected her things. Then she crept out the window, across the roof, and climbed to the ground. It wasn't easy, but Lila's heart raced, and her whole body felt tensed like a spring. The mystery was all she needed to keep her going.

She looked for tracks, but there were too many footprints to guess which belonged to the intruder. She remembered he didn't have anything on him, no weapons or bags, probably to aid his silence. Then she thought about where she might hide her own stuff if she were to enter the castle the way he did. Her instincts told her to check the forest, and she didn't hesitate to follow.

Several minutes later, her instincts proved true. Lila found a small structure made of leaves and sticks from the forest. Light spilled out of small holes, giving it away. She walked around it slowly, looking for a door. When she found one, she opened it cautiously.

Someone attacked her... in a hug. The someone had fine blonde hair just like Zale's and wore an armored dress. The girl said, "Link! Thank the Goddess, I thought you'd been caught."

Lila didn't return the hug, so the girl pulled back to look at her face. The girl gasped and jumped away.

There was silence. Lila could hardly believe her eyes. If it wasn't for her encounter with the boy earlier, she probably wouldn't believe it. Same as that boy, this girl was a doppelganger of Zale.

"You look just like him," Lila let out.

The girl looked scared yet calculating. "Same goes for you. You look exactly like my companion, Link. Who am I to you?"

"You look like the prince, Zale, and his... never mind." Lila wondered if she was allowed to talk about little Zelda yet, but it was too late.

"His what?"

Lila sighed. "His little sister, Zelda. You could be her from the future."

The girl gasped. "That's my name! I wonder... do the two of you possess pieces of the Triforce?"

"Yeah," Lila said, "but my hand is bandaged from an injury, so I can't show you. Actually, talking about it is making it tingle."

Zelda offered her right hand. Three triangles glowed with gold light, the same as Zale's Light Crossbow and their own Triforces. The triangle near her thumb glowed brightest.

"I bear the Triforce of Wisdom, and Link bears the Triforce--"

"Of Courage," Lila finished with a nod. "So do I. You can probably guess what Zale has."

"The Triforce of Wisdom. I don't know how this is possible. How could each piece be split in two? Wait, who has the Triforce of Power?"

"It was the chieftess of the Gerudo, Ganondra, but I defeated her a few days ago. She's the one who broke my hand."

Zelda pondered to herself for a minute. "Hm... could Rova have it? I've never seen..."

Lila cleared her throat. She smiled at Zelda when she looked up. "Come to the castle. I'm sure Zale will be able to help. Plus, Link is there."

"He is?"

"Yeah. He, um, he's kind of, um, in the dungeon right now."

Zelda gasped again. "Why? What happened?"

Lila shuffled her feet. "Um, it's my fault. Because it was dark, all I knew is that someone was stealing my sword. The guards didn't stop even though I told them to wait when I saw his face. So, he's most likely in the dungeon. Sorry about that."

Zelda shook her head in a kind way. "I'm sure it'll work out just fine. Let me grab some things, and you can lead the way."

It was still dark when they left the makeshift hut, so Zelda kept her lantern lit. Lila hoped it wouldn't attract monsters but figured the two of them could handle it. Lila had trained with her off-hand growing up, and Zelda was probably at defending herself as Zale.

As they walked, Lila asked, "Have you been to Castle Town before?"

Zelda replied, "I have, but not in this time."

"What do you mean?"

"Link and I travel through time with our mentor, Rova. We've gathered several things from history as well as the future. We never really had a place to call home..."

Lila felt sympathy for her, but something clicked in her mind. She remembered an encounter with a mythical race before the battle. The Children of the Forest gave her an ocarina and asked that she return a different one that had special properties. Aloud, she said, "The Ocarina of Time."

Zelda gawked. "How did you know?"

"It went missing recently. I guess I know where it went." She pulled out her wooden instrument and showed Zelda. "Does it look like this?"

Zelda's face lit up, and she shuffled through a bag. "Yeah. Here, take a look."

She handed Lila a round object that was the same except it was painted blue. Some of the paint had chipped and its gloss was gone, but she knew it was the same one depicted in tapestries that told the story of the Hero of Time.

Lila handed it back to her and asked, "Do you know how to play?"

Zelda shook her head. "I never learned. Link takes care of that."

"You should, it's pretty easy. Do you play any other instruments?"

"No." She paused. "But if I did, it would be a harp."

"Like the Goddess?"

"Yeah, like the Goddess."

The girls shared a smile. Zelda put her ocarina away, but Lila asked, "Do you want to hear a forest song?"

"Yeah, sure!"

Lila put the mouthpiece to her lips and blew gently. She played the three notes she knew of the song a couple of times and then tried out some more. The melody stumbled from time to time, but gradually it became clear. She smiled, thinking of the green village and beautiful fairies. For a moment, she lost track of her surroundings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom