• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rauru

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
When i first started Skyward Sword and first saw Gaerpora, my first thought was 'IT'S RAURU' but turned out is was Gaepora and i was a tad disappointed.

Gaepora_SS.png

242797-rauru_large.jpg

anyone else see the resemblance?

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Isn't there some theory that Kaepora Gaebora (the owl) is actually Rauru outside of the Sacred Realm? That would logically mean they're related, right?

Also, I'd be one to say aesthetics doesn't make 2 characters the same, but given the above reason, and the resemblance to Daphnes, it seems obvious that Nintendo is trying to set a trend in this character.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I think they are the same person from different worlds. The Owl is him outside the light realm. Rauru that is. And between now and then Gaebora becomes a Sage.

Isn't there some theory that Kaepora Gaebora (the owl) is actually Rauru outside of the Sacred Realm? That would logically mean they're related, right?

Also, I'd be one to say aesthetics doesn't make 2 characters the same, but given the above reason, and the resemblance to Daphnes, it seems obvious that Nintendo is trying to set a trend in this character.
The theory has already been proved to be true in Hyrule Historia, so...yeah, Gaepora could possibly be related to Rauru.

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
I personally think that Gaepora was a ancestor of Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, reveled in The Wind Waker, known as the King of Red Lions. I don't see that much of a resemblence but thats what I thought of when i first saw Headmaster Gaepora. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Hyrule Historia actually confirms that they are the same, but in an odd way. Geapora is the original form of Kaepora Gaebora, and HH says that (somehow) Rauru is, as well, so... I don't know how that's supposed to work, but Nintendo says it, so it's true.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Well I believe HH confirms that the owl and Raaru are the same, and that Gaebora is also the original form of the owl, so maybe Raaru and Gaebora are one in the same. Maybe Gaebora aged a bit and then became a sage so he changed his name

Well, the owl in OoT(Kaepora Gaebora) is confirmed to be Rauru. With a similar name to Kaepora Gaebora, there's no way Gaepora's name is a coincidence. I think that Gaepora could be an ancestor to Rauru, or perhaps a past life of him. There's no way to know, really, unless Nintendo comes out and clears the situation up.

You're not the very first person to have noticed a resemblance between these two characters. Upon the reveal of Gaepora, tons of posts containing theories involving he and Rauru started showing, in an attempt at finding a connection.

Many fans had suspected that the Owl, Kaepora Gaebora, that guides Link in Ocarina of Time is Rauru in disguise. For a time there was not very much to work off of, aside from rumors from two Gossip Stones:

Gossip Stones (Ocarina of Time) said:
"The owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage."

"They say that strange owl, Kaepora Gaebora, may look big and heavy, but its character is rather light hearted."

Over time, such theories remained prominent, that is, until SS came along. Upon seeing Gaepora, many fans believed Rauru was going to appear in Skyward Sword (before his real name was revealed). Posts were flying in. Along with his name, several things were revealed: It was confirmed that he is the Headmaster of the Knight Academy, Zelda's father, and that he gives Link the green garb upon passing the flight exam. Nothing connecting him to Rauru or the owl was mentioned. There was not a single in-game hint of a connection aside from his resemblance to Rauru.

Unfortunately, no connection between these two characters has been confirmed, not even in Hyrule Historia. What Hyrule Historia does unveil is the truth behind the mystery of the Kaepora Gaebora's (the owl from OoT) identity. What was confirmed is that he was indeed Rauru in disguise; the owl was the form that he took outside of the Sacred Realm. The same source claims that no connection between Rauru and Gaepora exist, aside from a similar appearance, which was a reference that was thrown in SS to commemorate Rauru.

Slightly off-topic: One thing's for certain is that Rauru was alive sometime around the era of SS [before or after], as it was he [and others] who built the Temple of Time over the ruins of the Sealed Temple. It seems that he remained dormant in the Sacred Realm most of the time. If anything, Gaepora's parents may have known of Rauru through legends passed down by the elders, and named him in honor of Rauru. However, a sort of "vice-versa" scenario might come into play there. To the point: They are not one and the same, and no confirmed connection exists between the two.

Dunno why I'm posting this here, but meh...

Hyrule Historia (Shogakukan) said:
"ラウル: 古の時代、時の神殿を造った賢者。リンクがマスターソードを抜前は、怪鳥ゲポラ・ゲボラとしてその冒険を見守っていた。 Rauru: He’s the sage who built the Temple of Time in ancient times. Before Link pulled the Master Sword out, he followed Link’s adventures as the owl Kaepora Gaebora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom