• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rather Disturbing Detail in SS

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
This is really an absurd detail, but when I saw it i almost jumped off the sofa.

Yesterday I was walking around aimlessly in Skyloft, and when I took a look in Zelda's room in the Academy I found something rather disturbing: on her desk there was a creepy doll that looked very much like Tingle in MM.

Is that an anachronism? An enormous foresight from the goddess's incarnation? Since Tingle is actually from a parallel dimention, could there be an equivalent of him in the time of SS that we never get to see? Did fairies really look like him at that time???

What do you think?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This was just one of the many easter egg references that Skyward Sword had ;)

I wouldn't make too much off it however due to me being interested in Tingle's character I think if one wants to, one can speculate on the existence of the doll. Tingle is certainly an intriguing figure and I think there is more to him than him selling maps of sorts and maybe his history and legend exist prior to Majora's Mask .

Plus Tingle does actually exist within the world of Hyrule, his normal form appears in The Wind Waker which isn't a part of some parallel dimension such as Termina. There is definitely more to be seen from this little guy in my opinion.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
He exists in multiple Hyrule game worlds. I believe he is in TMC, and FSA, and I think even OoA(although that's not Hyrule). He's a reoccurring character.
He also exists in Four Swords Adventures , I'm aware he appears in multiple games, the reason why I mentioned The Wind Waker was due to this being the equivalent to MM but on an opposing split of the Timeline.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Wow, if you nearly shat yourself over the sight of a Tingle Doll, thank goodness you never saw the Ocarina of Time easter egg...

[video=youtube;_q9q44rWNCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_q9q44rWNCk[/video]

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Sweet, I didn't know this one. Anyway, I wasn't surprised to see a reference from another game; just think that the medallions are nice to see, and they fit in the decoration. Tingle is plain creepy.

Plus, one might even find an explanation as to why there are those symbols in the Goddess Temple, but why on Earth does a doll (that Zelda herself did) look like Tingle?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Sweet, I didn't know this one. Anyway, I wasn't surprised to see a reference from another game; just think that the medallions are nice to see, and they fit in the decoration. Tingle is plain creepy.

Plus, one might even find an explanation as to why there are those symbols in the Goddess Temple, but why on Earth does a doll (that Zelda herself did) look like Tingle?

Becouse tingle, if I rember correctly, is only hated in the US. Every where else he is liked. easter eggs for the most part need no explaining, for the most part they are there for people to find and just think oh thats neet. Or is the mushroom kingdom inside Hyrule castle? :rolleyes:

you are freaking out.....
over a cameo.....
why does this even matter, nintendo just put in a simple easter egg. Tingle Is not hated outside of the united states.
That is just basic knowledge.
terminacarnival out!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I noticed that little easter egg / reference. I thought it was cute. They had no room for Tingle (or Purlo - TP version) in the game, so they made him a little doll and/or pincushion. Most American Zelda fans dislike Tingle, but the people at Nintendo are clearly fond of him. It was an unobtrustive way to insert a character they liked.

I actually involved that easter egg in one of my short fanfictions. "Piece of Heart" by Shadsie on fanfiction.net if you really want to look for it. The plot of that story is Link sneaking into Zelda's room (something you can do in the game) and finding a little message and memento from her while being sad over missing her. It was a very simple fic. I had a line about Link seeing a doll on Zelda's desk that he found disturbing "like some obnoxious person who would bother him in another life."

So, in-universe, I'm going to go for the "prediction" idea... a bit of Zelda's non-time-bound knowledge as Hylia showing through.

Last edited:

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

Why is there a Skyward Sword poster in OoT3D's Gerudo fortress? Why is there a picture of Mario in OoT's Hyrule castle? They are just easter eggs.

Tingle is a recurring Zelda character, like Beedle, who was actually in SS. If you were to try to come up with an explanation, you could say that recurring characters, like Tingle and Beedle, are either reincarnated or have a bloodline that spans between the games. So it is entirely plausible that there was a Tingle on Skyloft who died before the events of SS, and Zelda or someone else carved a doll of them.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Wow, so many responses! I didn't know there were so many Easter eggs in the games, I'll check carefully from now on to spot them :)

All right, seeing all your reactions I think maybe "disturbing" wasn't the most appropriate word in the title thread: what I meant was "unexpected and a bit creepy", but then again, I didn't know Tingle appeared in other games than MM.

-By the way, I'm not from the US and I don't like Tingle at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom