• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate your top 10 Anime's

JetPunx-R

I can smell you
Devil May Cry
DragonBall Z
High School DxD
Infinite Stratos
Kill La Kill
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Madoka Magic
Student Council Discretion
Yuru Yuri (it's really not what is sounds/looks like, its just a small anime to enjoy)
Zatch Bell

Sheik

:the:
1. Death Note/Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (equally incredible, all three of them)

2. Durarara!!

3. Kill la Kill/Gurren Lagann/Baccano!/Attack on Titan/Sword Art Online (I hardly cared for any of these for a variety of different reasons, so they're all just lumped together in the last spot)

That's all I've seen, excluding movies. I can't really say I'm the biggest weeaboo anime enthusiast, so...

TK8305

Mugenite, Smasher, LPer and ZCer!
What is your Top 10 Favorite Animes? Here are mine!

1. Clannad: After Story
2. Clannad
3. Mahoraba: Heartful Days
4. Dragonball Z
5. Sailor Moon
6. Kanon
7. Hoshi No Kaabii (Kirby of the Stars)
8. Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl)
9. Charlotte
10. Shuffle!

List can and may change later as I watch more animes! :3

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I don't think anyone's list can be completely definitive. These are my current top ten favourites (ranked as best I could). To make it easier for myself, if there are multiple seasons, I've counted them as part the same series. I've also not included movies on this list.

1. Clannad, Clannad ~After Story~
  2. Ef: A Tale of Memories, Ef: A Tale of Melodies
  3. Angel Beats
  4. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  5. H2O: Footprints in the Sand
  6. Serial Experiments Lain
  7. Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi
  8. .hack//SIGN
  9. Vampire Knight, Vampire Knight: Guilty
  10. Ouran High School Host Club
Honourable Mentions:
  • Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
  • Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers
  • Red Garden, Dead Girls
  • Trigun
  • Cowboy Bebop

Last edited:

Cross

For rent
In no specific order:
FMAB
Cowboy Bebop
Eureka 7
Rahxephon
Kara no kyoukai(Haven't seen the final 2 movies)
Monogatari series
Gundam
Monster
Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero

My list is this

1. Hellsing Ultimate
2. Soul Eater
3. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
4. One Piece
5. Death Note
6. Dragon Ball Z
7. One-Punch Man
8. Attack on Titan
9. Pokémon
10. Tokyo Ghoul

Updated list

1. Steins gate
2. Code grass
3. Love, chunibyo and other delusions
4. The devil is a part timer
5. Madoka magica
6. Cowboy bebop
7. Neon genesis evangelion
8. Saikano
9. Attack on titan
10. High school of the dead

Updated list

1. Steins gate
2. Code grass
3. Love, chunibyo and other delusions
4. The devil is a part timer
5. Madoka magica
6. Cowboy bebop
7. Neon genesis evangelion
8. Saikano
9. Attack on titan
10. High school of the dead

I've talked about some of these before, but here's my top ten. Also, this post is going to be long. You've been warned.

1. Cowboy Bebop

Might be an obvious choice, but I have yet to find another anime that I love as much as this one. Bebop has fantastic animation, great characters, an amazing soundtrack and dub, and overall just never fails to bring a smile to my face. Following a bunch of bounty hunters through their adventures in space, this series is absolutely timeless and I doubt anything will ever come this close to perfection. Infact, if it weren't for one episode ending with a cliffhanger that's never resolved, I would call it perfect.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Fantastic shonen that has many of the same strengths Bebop has (animation, voice acting and characters), yet is a completely different show. Some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen can be found here, along with a gripping story and lots of character development.

3. Gintama

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but I'll say it again: Gintama is the most hilarious show in existence. Originally about a samurai in an age of alien invasion and how he and his two sidekicks make ends meet, the show soon went on a lengthy tangent and never looked back. Gintama has originality in spades, many episodes being downright absurd, only for a serious arc to flip the tables and deliver gripping action all of a sudden. There is no other show that does what Gintama does, and the quality has been consistently high for years. It's incredibly self aware, regularly breaks the fourth wall and won't shy away from breaking taboos (not many animes will blatantly mock politicians like Gintama does), but it always finds time to tell a touching story aswell.

4. Paranoia Agent

Creepy tale about a juvenile delinquent that hits people with a bat when they feel like they're driven into a corner. Or so it seems. I still haven't completely wrapped my head about what really goes on in this show, and that's what makes it so fascinating. Paranoia Agent really lends itself to different interpretations and is very thought provoking, but also is just really entertaining to watch.

5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season One)

Haruhi is such a weird show, because it does so many things at once that it can be mindboggling. I love series that turn out to be completely different from what they initially seem to be, and Haruhi is a prime example of doing just that. Most people will probably know what it's about already, but I'll refrain from spoiling it for those who don't. The second season is very disappointing, having only really one good episode followed by an arc that's basically the same episode eight times (no really) and another where the main character is completely insufferable. The first season, however, is magic, and I cannot praise it enough.

6. Monster

A criminological thriller with a very dark atmosphere that tells a fascinating tale about a doctor who unwillingly created a serial killer, and is trying to undo just that. Monster is ruthless in its depictions of very realistic tragedies and rather bleak, but the storytelling is so good that it pulls you in and never let's go until the end.

7. When They Cry

This is the most gruesome, soul-jarring anime I've ever seen (Elfen Lied doesn't touch it, neither does Gantz) but it's incredibly good. Each year, during the Cotton Drifting Festival, one person dies and another disappears. Keichi, who newly moved into the rural town of Hinamisawa, is dragged right into these events that happen again, and again, and again. Every four episodes, infact. The whole first season is a complete mystery that repeats the same time period around the Cotton Drifting Festival, but, while the outcome is always very similar, the way these things happen are different every time, or shown from another perspective. The second season is what really makes this show good, because it wraps it up nicely and everything actually makes sense in the end. This one is sometimes hard to watch, but it's so worth it. Also has a kickass theme song:

8. Azumanga Daioh

The plot can be summed up as follows: It's about high school girls. That's all of the plot there is to it. What sounds really boring and generic is actually a character driven masterstroke of comedy that's very lighthearted, incredibly funny and really, really, dare I say it, cute. The show follows a group of high school girls, all with distinct personalities, through their daily lives. Ocassionally bordering on the surreal, the humor consistently hits the mark and the show never fails to pick me up.

9. Time of Eve

This very short series wonders what life would be like if robot servants really existed - do they have feelings? Can a human "love" his robot? What happens when a robot finds a safe place outside their masters' gaze where it can just be themselves without restrictions? Time of Eve delivers the answers in a fascinating manner.

10. Ranma 1/2

Finally, this one had to be on the list, even though it's far from perfect. It's what originally got me into anime, and yes, it's because there were nipples. I was a horny fourteen year old, is what I'm saying. Ranma falls into a cursed spring and from that moment on turns into a girl whenever he's splashed with cold water, and back into a male with hot water. Further complicating things is his arranged marriage to Akane, daughter of the Tendo Dojo for brawls of all kind. The premise is ridiculous, and so is the show itself. But it's also really funny, and genuinely heartwarming at times. It takes a nosedive after a while when the plot gets stale and stops moving forward, and the animation isn't the best, but I love this show and am unashamed to admit that it's on the list for nostalgia reasons.

3. Summer Wars (film)

Now I really am not trolling here, but can I ask what about this film you liked so much to make it your number three spot? I've seen praise everywhere for it and I thought it was the worst anime movie I've ever seen to be honest. That scene where the grandma phones up all of her relatives for ten minutes straight almost made me turn it off, and when the film was over, I wished that I had. Incredibly dull, boring movie.

Yuru Yuri (it's really not what is sounds/looks like, its just a small anime to enjoy)

I watched three episodes of that and had a really hard time in deciding wether to keep watching or drop it. On the one hand, it was hilarious sometimes, yet on the other, I felt like such a pervert watching it. Like, even more than I normally do.

JetPunx-R

I can smell you
I watched three episodes of that and had a really hard time in deciding wether to keep watching or drop it. On the one hand, it was hilarious sometimes, yet on the other, I felt like such a pervert watching it. Like, even more than I normally do.

Well, Like typed it out, it's just a small anime I like to watch, but it's not something i'll use my time and worship this anime. I just watched it and thought it was adorable(just the first season and dropped the season because I got bored of it). I like some of the humor, but not where i'll laugh hard where my brains explode ya know? But since it's just an anime i've only seen once. Just a one and done deal. So i decided to drop the anime from my top 10 list. I gotta find a new anime to replace Yuru Yuri and probably 1-2 more just to add SOME variety, but not at the moment anyways.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I hope that the reader finds this list informative, and as lengthy as it will be, it's by no means intended to show off. In the end it all boils down to opinion, anyhow.

---

1. Fate/Zero & Fate/Stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
- A highly underrated series that was adapted from a popular manga, Fate/Zero is the prequel to the original Stay night, which has three alternate routes, one being Unlimited Blade Works. The esteemed animation studio, Ufotable, took it upon themselves to adapt the series into a dark, mature story involving remarkable characters and gripping fight scenes. The synopsis: Seven Masters summon an equal amount of Servants of a different class to fight for them in order to win the Holy Grail and be granted a wish. Each character has a motivation for fighting and do whatever it takes to achieve their goal, although their sense of humanity is in question quite often. In terms of standing up to other great anime, I'd honestly say that both Fate series easily surpass all other contenders, including Fullmetal Alchemist [Brotherhood].

2. Guilty Crown - An original story that's pretty obviously inspired by Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. The story follows Shu Ouma, a tentative young man who attains the ability to draw objects out of a person's heart and is inducted into a "terrorist group" known as Funeral Parlor. He assists the group by hampering the plans of a corrupt government when they seek to execute or imprison the general populace due to suspicion of exposure to a virus outbreak. Sure, the plot might sound completely "original", but what sets Guilty Crown apart from most other tropes is the evolution of Shu's personality. He goes from an indecisive coward to a self-sacrificing leader who uses his power to protect his friends, and pulls through some otherwise impossible circumstances. This is the way that most protagonists should be handled, unlike the pretentious and tiresome mains who constantly scream their "dream" aloud (Naruto and Luffy, for example).

3. Attack on Titan - Whenever the small remnants of humanity are forced seek shelter behind towering walls, you know that there's something waiting on the other side. For around 100 years, the surviving numbers go about their lives with a doubt ever weighing on their minds., fearing that the rabid Titans would breach their "fortress" and exterminate them. Attack on Titan handles the extreme uncertainty of mankind and unpredictable nature of the Titans so well that it's hard to get turned off by any of the characters. Through their eyes, you see this monstrous force that is fixated on devouring each and every human being, and the monsters' origin isn't known to a single person. It's because of this constant desperation and anguish that almost everyone is relatable and should someone insignificant perish, you'd most likely feel a twinge of pity for them, too.

4. Macross Frontier - Almost the polar opposite of Attack on Titan, Frontier places the remnants of humanity in a floating space colony after Earth was destroyed by an alien force. The survivors supposedly escape detection until many years later--you guessed it--the aliens catch up to them and invade the colony, but with the usage of mech suits, they keep the invaders at bay. In particular, one of the main protagonists, the male lead, takes over the suit of a commander who had died and confronts the lead alien, driving it out. But outside of the well-choreographed fights, there are two other protags, female to be precise, who want to win ther heart of the male lead...by singing. Thing is, the songs are not the run of the mill J-Pop that one might expect; they are catchy, cheerful, and especially epic. Guilty Crown also contains vocal songs up to this standard, but they just can't match Frontier's musical quality. Combined with the auditory pleasures and the flashy animation, this series is both chilling and entrancing, especially towards the end.

5. Psycho-Pass - The not too-distant future is riddled with massive leaps in technology as the Sybil System is developed. The Sybil System is able to read the Hue, or the conscience in other words, by scanning a person's psychological state. If the person is caught by one of the scanners and gives off a high-rated Hue, then he will be subject to immediate arrest or sometimes disposal if he shows erratic behavior. Through this revolutionary enforcement method, humanity's very worth is questioned to the core, and eventually is manipulated by a man whose Hue turns up pure white. By his nefarious actions, the Enforcement Division--made up of an inspector and ex-criminals--are forced to take him down before he can throw the entire system into jeopardy. But is that the man's endgame, or could he be hiding a dark secret about Sybil System's very nature?

The second half of this list is pending...
-Commencing a Continuation-

6. Aldnoah.Zero
- Comparing Mars to Earth is like comparing a barren desert to a bountiful jungle. Taking place in an alternate reality, a timeless civilization have found life on the red planet, yet certain members can't help but look across the galaxy and behold the blue planet with envy. But whenever their princess, a soft-hearted and compassionate person, expresses her wish to unite with the "Terrians" and share their resources together, the avarice in their hearts runs its course. The princess joins with Earth in celebration but is unexpectedly assassinated, and this event reignites the war in a repetitious tragedy of 15 years prior. Earth's major cities are simultaneously attacked by machines with the impact of a nuclear bomb going off. As a result, the blue planet's remaining forces shore up their defenses in a desperate attempt to regain security, mostly relying on Inaho Kaizuka, an unprecedented strategist, and his orange training suit.

7. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - Don't be fooled by the cutesy title--Madoka Magica may have the appearance of an average slice of life/mogucil gurl on the surface, but in practice it can be put alongside some of the more tragic series such as Death Note or Mirai Nikki (and easily surpass them). Nearly everyone dies abruptly in dark and unforeseen twists. The story follows Madoka Kaname, who becomes involves with a group of Magical Girls (may sound funny, but the inner happenings disagree) and is tasked with exterminating otherworldly beings known as Witches. Much like Fate/Zero, the girls are granted a single wish by a mysterious cat-like creature that observes their actions with interest. Coupled with fantastic, nightmarish art directions and an epic soundtrack, this is a must watch.

8. Angel Beats! - While Kanon and Clannad had their hands full with the tears dripping from viewers, Key's drama-turned-action collaboration tells everyone bucker up. Yuzuru Otanashi wakes up one day to find himself in a place he doesn't recognize, and facing off with a white-haired girl who stares back at him. Later on, he gets told by a leader of the SSS (Shinda Sekai Sensen, aka Afterlife Battlefront) that he has died and now resides in Limbo. From here on, Yuzuru resolves to find out about the white-haired girl and uncover why he is stuck in "the hereafter" without a defined divine leader. The show focuses on the existence of God, who he might be, and his ultimate purpose for those in Limbo. All the while, the white-haired girl named Tenshi takes up the role as a "devil" or dark reaper-type antagonist who steals souls at random before they get the chance at reaching paradise.

9. Tales of the Abyss - One of the hardest things to find in anime is a tremendous game-to-animation adaptation. Many times this was tried, but mostly failed. Thankfully, Tales of the Abyss follows a different path with believable characters (some start out as annoying but turn out extremely likable), memorable RPG-like action animations, and a grand-scale adventure across several lands. The protagonist, Luke von Fabre, is an almost stereotypical spoiled prince until he is one day accidentally teleported away with a girl who invaded the castle, intent on killing his master. Having spent his entire life in the castle, Luke and the invader travel across Kimlasca, form a party with other gradually joining, and travel the land. Outside the castle walls, Luke and company soon realize that war will soon erupt, initiated by the person they'd least suspect.

10. Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova - Last but not least, the final battle takes place 'pon the seas! Arpeggio has surprisingly engaging action sequences above and below water. After global warming melts the ice in the world's upper regions, a fleet of battleships appear and wreak havoc over the open waters, but a brave submarine crew impedes their journey to world domination. What makes these battles so impressive is the responses that the crew takes to defeat the ships. Sometimes they would submerge deep enough to avoid detection and then torpedo away, or fire a hypercannon of sorts to disarm the enemy. Overcoming unbelievable odds each time, the crew becomes closer to each other and eventually reach out to the enemy, humanoids who captain the otherwise unmanned battleships. The CG animations are also fluid and work effectively to look visually appealing (with the exception of flat character designs, perhaps).

Mido

Version 1
I suppose my list is not entirely set in stone as of yet, but here's what I have down so far:

I. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
II. Naruto*
III. Death Note
IV. Hunter X Hunter (2011)
V. Parasyte: The Maxim
VI. Speed Racer
VII. Fairy Tail
VIII. Soul Eater
IX. Bobobo-bo bo-bobo
X. Sword Art: Online**

*Realistically, perhaps Naruto should be lower; however, I mainly rank it so high because it set the standards for what I expect in terms of great elements to a story.
**While undeniably flawed, this is what I would consider as my guilty pleasure anime! :D It is still pretty decent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom