• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Just completed Princeof Persia: Sands of Time on ps3
Would rate it 9/10
This game stood out to me the most in terms of boss fights, parkour and chariot races. The other two PoP games have a lack lustre boses.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Yakuza 3

I'm repeating myself here, but I had a great time with it. I had read some things here and there going into it that had me curious about how it'd play, but none of the criticisms ever were much of a problem, IMO. Would replay, and might do some side content post-game here too.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Baldur's Gate 3 - 8/10

Despite being overladen with technical issues, having to reload saves from hours before due to screwy story events, and the worst RNG system contrived by mankind (how does a seasoned Gith warrior with a bigass sword miss a goblin at point blank???), I enjoyed my time with Baldur's Gate 3. Sure, the story itself is rightfully laden with every fantasy trope imageinable, but the sheer variety of creepy or beautiful locales felt right at home. Gameplay can be tedious in the starting hours and prone to slowdown in certain areas, but one mod and a timely patch from the devs later and my OC was blowing up everything left and right. I feel like these types of games are best experienced for the power trip, and that everything else up to characters and story are secondary.

Oh, and betraying both the Emperor and Prince Orpheus at the end to become the Absolute was pretty dang neat. All part of the plan!:cool:
I... feel like you might be missing out if you feel like the characters and story in an RPG are secondary. I also question your character load out. :eyes:

Been a while since I’d been in here, huh. I have a lot of fresh games since then but I don’t think I’ve actually finished any. Instead I’ve been replaying some old ones.

Had got MGS3 on Steam, but refunded it unfortunately after some issues came up. Maybe they’ll be fixed some time, but it’s not worth it for me right now. So instead, I dug out the PS3 and started up that version. Surprised to find I still had a save from August of last year, just at the start of Operation Snake Eater. So didn’t replay from the beginning, but most of the really good stuff.

Man, have I become really bad at it, though. I remember doing a run without any alerts or interactions with guards much whatsoever, and now I’m getting caught left and right. Ah well. Still really fun and engaging, and has me hyped for the remake. Some small parts are a bit tedious but somehow less annoyed with them than before. Overall still my favorite game in the series, best balance between story and gameplay and showing/telling, even if it’s not quite perfect in some areas. 9/10

Going off that I decided why not just jump right back into mgs4? Funny how it’s the one game I really wanted to play on ps3 for so long, having got into the series in general sometime in 2010 only for said ps3’s disc drive to end itself. Was between jobs and had no money to replace it for quite a while. I’d since played it, even after seeing so many others dissect it and critique it to death. And for the most part, I kind of agreed.

Still, there’s been a more recent slew of hot takes on it being some misunderstood masterpiece. Not really keen on seeing it that way but thought it was worth entertaining while I replay it. Learned my lesson and played on easy rather than normal, though maybe that wasn’t the best decision. But I find the Gekko extremely annoying, so I’m not too miffed about everything else being a cakewalk.

The gameplay seems like such a shame. So many good ideas, but very little room to play with them, nor for very long. AI is a bit of a mixed bag as well, because it feels neat to sneak right up close in conflicts but it feels kind of inconsistent at times, and then the robots work entirely differently as well. And no matter what anyone tells me, the third act with the trailing stuff is just the worst and biggest pace killer. At least all the bosses are either great or very creative in some way. Was disappointed none of the mgs games after had anything as good as the last boss here…leave it to a game like RDR2 to have anything remotely similar, huh.

That being said, the bosses as far as the story goes, eh…the story is the real contentious part of this game anyway. Could have been better possibly without Drebin’s lore dumps, perhaps just leave it more up to the imagination like the Cobras (which were again retroactively ruined by parasite bs). The rest, well, you can definitely tell some of the better writers left by this point and Kojima was free to write all his corny dialogue and overly drawn out cutscenes, full of holes and contrivances. Even so, feel like I understand quite a bit more now about the themes of letting things die that should have done so already, but then I kind of feel that is giving too much credit to a story that just happens to be able to be interpreted that way. Who can say?

Fun time with it, but a bit more on a casual level, and still rolling my eyes at dumb stuff like Raiden’s OOT brooding or Meryl pulling a gun on her father, etc. Not as good as the prior three games by a large margin, but still recognizable as Metal Gear and by virtue far more entertaining than MgsV ever was. 6/10

Well, I’m done just in time for Like A Dragon Gaiden, so hoping to rate that next.

EDIT: actually, I did at least finish Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. Now that was a great game. Sadly kinda have to knock it down a little for being a bit jank with glitches, such as crashes that effectively made me miss some presumably important cutscenes. 8/10

EDIT 2: don’t want to spam so I’ll just put this new rating here.

Well, I spent something like 30-odd hours total on Like A Dragon Gaiden, got near everything I cared for at least. All substories, requests, coliseum stuff, clothing, most of the new little mini request things. Barely touched the hostess stuff just because it seems like it may take way too long to do it, and pocket circuit, ugh…maybe it’s just because it’s my first time trying it but I can’t seem to build anything that doesn’t fly off or stall on the third track. Feels like RNG enough to get me frustrated with the whole thing and be done with it, unfortunately.

The rest of the game certainly got easier after the first few hours, once you start getting super OP for the most part. The only thing I set the difficulty to easy for was the Amon fight. Seen others say it was easy but it felt way harder than the one in 6, which only took me two tries if I remember right. Still neither are as bad as the one in 4, which I don’t think I ever beat.

Inadvertently spoiled stuff I didn’t know, having only played halfway through 7, but I kind of expected it and it’s been hard not to see some spoilers by now for that game just being involved as a fan anyway. Regardless, for how short it is compared to others, I really loved my time with the game and especially the ending. Folks were not kidding about how emotional it gets…and it makes me both worried for and sort of anticipating how much YongYae’s poor acting will butcher one scene in particular - the same kind of train wreck you can’t pull your eyes away from as someone like DSP just being totally awful at a game. Ah well.

Then finally gave the Infinite Wealth demo a shot, just an hour each for both modes as I don’t want to ruin everything for myself. It’s crazy even with a ton of shared assets just how different the game feels. I’m all for it for the most part, but I think it also accentuates just how much Gaiden is sort of a culmination of the series prior. Something I think was said about Dead Souls, fits far more here. Tears of the Kingdom has been my personal game of the year, and this is nowhere near that scope for sure, and yet I feel it’s surpassed the amount of enjoyment and value I got out of it. 9/10

Really don’t know what I’ll do next. Plenty of games I have to get back to, probably most excited to get back to the first Atelier Ryza. But I may take a bit of a break from gaming to focus on other things I need to get done.

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yo, here's a few I probably haven't rated.

--Diablo IV 10/10 they have gotten it right at Season 2.

--Age of Wonders 4 9/10 Quite a nice game, actually.

--Pokemon Violet 6/10 No Mawile, no excuses, no entire pokedex, no excuses; What are you doing, GameFreak? You are a damn franchise, include every pokemon or your games will keep on sucking and you will keep losing fans. Also, hardly voice overs, you should have all the dialogue being spoken by now.

Battle Brothers 8/10 It's ok

Shin Megami Tensei V 11/10 It's very awesome, I love it.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Super Mario Bros Wonder:
I wasn’t particularly hyped for this game when it was first announced, but I got to say that I was pleasantly surprised by just how good this game is, despite some hiccups here and there in level design. I even went out of my way to 100% it. Definitely my GotY. 8/10.

Finished Last Window the other day. Really mixed feelings, mostly hinging on how it all played out in the end, despite generally really enjoying my time with it. Just that it can’t really be helped, comparing a lot of it to Hotel Dusk.

I do feel it is a bit more “adult”, not necessarily more mature in the same sense most people mean, but just the way in which Kyle is characterized, how he develops, and some of the themes and how events in the story take place. Those kinds of things, and the great music, are what I enjoyed most about the game.

Now, I won’t say the characters are bad, but, I just don’t find any of them near about as compelling as most of the cast from the first game, unfortunately. That kind of went hand in hand with making some reveals a bit too obvious, and in turn that made it feel like the game was dragging on much longer than it really needed to be. Coupled with the fact that Cape West is just more boring to explore, not much added on as you go and without as much sense of mystery, it was a bit difficult to stay motivated the whole way through.

Something I’m a bit more mixed on: the ratio of puzzles to evidence gathering or interrogation. I can appreciate we spend more time talking to the characters than doing often kind of absurd puzzles all the time - but then, that also kind of ****s with the pacing. There ought to have been a bit more to break up the constant back and forth of finding who to talk to next.

Despite my issues, I’m still glad to have experienced it. Still hoping if the Another Code Recollection does well, it could mean some sort of remaster for these two games, too. Have to give it a 7.5/10

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze:
Definitely an improvement over Returns, though I wouldn’t go as far as to call it “one of the greatest 2D platformers ever” like I’ve seen so many others say. It’s a pretty good game, but doesn’t feel nearly as good to control as most 2D Mario’s. 7/10.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
KOTOR 2:

Played through it again, this time chick/light side. I've always loved this game because the game gameplay is better than the first but I only realized this time how lame the story is. I mean, it's always been evident that Kreia is a brooding emo, never grew out of her teens, spending her days at Hot Topic but never buying anything, writing depressing freeform poetry in sharpie on her arms uttering that nothing matters. Chris Avallone is a child. I remembered the interactions with and influencing companions being a lot deeper than they actually were and no planet (save Onderon/Dxun perhaps) was as good as any planet in KOTOR. Still a game worth playing but I was disappointed this time.

A Highland Song - Fun but a bit jank. Surprise d it had been released so soon. Only played a couple hours, surprised as I hear it takes many people 5-6 hours. Had expected a more relaxing experience a la Spiritfarer, and there is a lot of that, but there are some Death Stranding/survival adjacent elements I wasn’t ready for…which made my initial playthrough kinda bleh. Also didn’t help it’s not always clear what’s in the foreground or can be traversed, leading to many times I felt trapped or accidentally fell to my death. Also didn’t realize it would be the sort of game where you play multiple times to get better endings. Will probably revisit in some time but kinda busy at the moment. Game really shines in music, voice acting, writing, general atmosphere and aesthetic, despite issues I had with it. Pretty good 7/10

Super Mario RPG remake - Never beat the original, furthest I’d got was the sinker ship back on the Wii VC release. However, I’ve watched a lot of LPs and speedruns. So it’s a bit hard to judge as my technical first time beating it. Overall I think it’s a pretty ideal remake stylistically, and I especially love the redone music, control options are neat as well. Only gripe is the UI, feels just too clean and almost generic to me compared to the original. Have the extra endgame stuff to do but will likely put that off as well for now. Replaying Paper Mario concurrently and I think I actually like this game better now, with just how it wastes less of your time and how the party works. 9/10

Metroid Fusion - Think I’d played this up to the first SA-X encounter in the WiiU release and was too intimidated to go further. After playing through Dread, I was far more comfortable with it…and after reading there was only really one required encounter, there was unfortunately far less tension. Even so, I still really enjoyed it, and find I miss sprite work of this quality. Music was great as well. Definitely a bit rigid structure to start, was a nice surprise as it kind of threw you for a loop later on but it just wasn’t enough. As fun as things like the movement were, always fun in 2D Metroid, I find a lot of the bosses kind of sucked, especially the last 3-4…maybe Dread spoiled me but these were just awful unfortunately. Would not have bothered if not for Switch savestates. Really unfortunate because otherwise it was a pretty fun game with good setting. Kinda wavering between 7-8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom