• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
Five Nights at Freddy’s: Pizzeria Simulator

Scares the ever loving shiitake out of me. But I suppose that’s the point. 6/10. I’ll be playing Security Breach after I finish TotK. Ruin looks cool. I’m working on a song about it. Because I had too many lyrical ideas.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 7.5/10

Great game but… very disappointing.

The gameplay is great and some of the best in the series, I loved the Zonai tech, getting to build things, the Depths, Sky, etc. I liked the sidequests and exploring with stuff like finding caves and such. Characters like Tulin in the game are awesome, and the companions (sages) are very cool to travel with and do the dungeons with. Speaking of, we got dungeons (sorta) and that is nice to see back.

However, the game falls short in lots of categories, mostly story. This is the worst story in a 3D Zelda yet, with how the game advertised it, it really isn’t a dark or deep or crazy story, and certainly a terrible sequel to BotW. Hardly anything about what happened in BotW is mentioned much here like the calamity or champions, Link just seems like some complete stranger to people who should know him (like the hateno residents) and Zelda is reduced to really nothing, outside of turning into a dragon… only for her to turn back which ruins the sacrifice, especially when the game several times stated that once you become a dragon you can’t turn back

The game is very unsubtle and awful with the story presentation, it feels like things need to be spoon-fed to you. The biggest example of this is the sages who tell you the same thing after each regional phenomena, have no face shown, no name, and just repeat the same imprisoning war/demon king speech, which feels like they didn’t even try with them. It’s so… lazy and easily my least favorite part of this whole game. Or “oh my god, Zelda’s constantly acted suspicious, I think that’s not Zelda”(turns out it’s not Zelda and just a puppet, which couldn’t be more obvious with how shady she acted throughout the game and if you did the geoglyphs before Hyrule Castle) not to mention this is probably the weakest version of Gannondorf who feels so underwhelming and wasted potential.

It feels like some fanfic of the actual story of what TotK could’ve been. It could’ve been a gritty, serious, gripping story but all the potential is basically wasted on a poor continuation of BotW’s story and repetitive dialogue and how far fetched everything about it is. I hope this isn’t the last game of the BotW games, cause this is a really poor way to end off the BotW games and story of it all.

So yeah, gameplay is incredible, story and presentation leaves a lot to be desired

Ninja

Well well well
Final Fantasy 16 - 9/10. Really enjoyed this game, it was stellar. The soundtrack was amazing, gameplay was fluid, boss sequences are absolutely what the new standard should be.

It is missing some traditional FF elements however it's not so bad.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Final Fantasy XVI -10/10

"Now it's time to kill a god."

This game was fantastic from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed mixing up the various Eikonic abilities gained from overcoming truly epic bosses. The story had some filler that could be done without, but overall it was gritty and spectacular on a level that few other games are able to strive for. But above all, the music stole the show and amplified every spectacle that was put on display; additionally, the various themes complemented Clive's personal growth from a callow boy to an accomplished outlaw who sought to change the world. This truly is the Final Fantasy to end all Final Fantasies.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Rygar
As far as NES games go, this was actually pretty easy. Granted I used the rewind function on NSO rather liberally, and pulled up a map online, but even if I hadn’t I don’t think this would have taken me any more than a few extra hours. I don’t necessarily think that this is to the game’s detriment, but I do wish that the game gave me more of a reason to use its mechanics. It’s actually very similar to the SotN-style Castlevanias, being a Metroidvania with some stat based elements and a spell system. The execution is definitely flawed, but I enjoyed it enough that I might have to play it’s remake sometime. 7/10

Tears of the Kingdom (93/100)

The game simply improves upon BotW in every way. Better combat, better ost, much more to explore, mostly tradtional dungeons, an actual story, Zelda has more spotlight and does cool stuff and has time powers, more sidequests, more meaningful characters, and many people know Link, which is great. And the journey to the Wind Temple was amazing.

Bad things include:
  • The five terminal thingies for the dungeon (should have been more traditional)
  • Weapon combat is much the same with simple slashes and stabs (even Wind Waker had combos you could do)
  • Still a lack of enemy variety here and there, or at least some enemies were restricted to certain areas
  • Still a lack of dungeons, only five in total (the Spirit Temple at least doesn't have a map or stuff)

--

Digimon Story DS (73/100)

Love the game and have spent over 300 hours on it. The beginning of the game is a struggle, bosses can actually be difficult, music is okay, a variety of different areas to explore, some good digimon in the roster. There's also the digi farm system, which I think was well done with a good variety of farms and goods, as well as upgrading. There's also a postgame quest featuring the Demon Lords.

Bad things include:
  • The roster still wasn't that big. Some classic digimon were missing, some digivolution lines were incomplete
  • Characters are bare bones, no personality, no one is really interesting
  • The plot is just basic, nothing really stands out, though Pagumon's story was decently done
  • Music isn't that utterly great, some nice stuff, some bad, nothing great
  • The farm system could have been a little better, like combining farm types together or making your own
  • The battle hud could do with some improving here and there
  • Combat is a little on the slow side, and the game can be grindy

Pokémon Yellow

- The pallet swaps for the cities add charm and nostalgia
- Music has good beeps and boops, particularly the champion theme. There's also Lavender Town's theme.
- Sprites are less goofy and overall improved from Red and Blue
- There really isn't much difference between the versions, though, and some people will dislike Pikachu not evolving.
- Some gym leader levels are a bit strange. 5th And 6th gyms are the same, but this gives you the option to do things out of order.

I give the game 78 pikas out of 100

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Starfield

7.5/10

I'm going to be detailed here but no spoilers, I promise.

Starting with the cons. The game was touted to be Bethesda's least buggy at-launch release ever. Tests determined that was a lie. It's Bethesda's second most buggy release ever, after Morrowind. In fact it might even be buggier than Morrowind because, while buggy, Morrowind had few game breaking bugs.

Starfield is by far the buggiest launch I was there for that I have played day one. It had several game breaking bugs that deletes your followers, deletes your inventory, deletes your ships. Lots of bugs blocking progression on quests, including main quests. Ships, the main core of the game, were very buggy, often leading you to situations where you can get stranded on a planet. Objects from asteroids to entire cities can and eventually will follow your ship, potentially making them unflyable. ships can glitch and make them unusable and disable fast travel until you switch to another ship. not at a place you can switch? You better hope one shows up you can steal or you're stuck there forever. Objects placed inside yourship in containers, displays, out in the open, or in the captain's locker regularly get deleted.

In terms of game design, inventory management was a nightmare, and a serious step back from what it was in previous games. If you want to craft anything you have to built thousands of containers that there's no easy way to fill or get what you need from. Carry capacity was even less than Fallout 4. Ship building is tedious. You need to jump to 5 - 10 locations to build a complete ship and it needs to be functional to save between each one meaning spending extra money on filler parts. And you need a way to customize how sections join. Weapon and armor customization is less open than it was in Fallout 4. Weapon customization has less... uh.. soul I guess to to it compared to Fallout 4. It makes far less of a difference. There needs to be more options to automatically hide your suit in certain situations and not have NPCs think you're still wearing it.

NPC cloning is the worst its ever been in a Bethesda game. You'll hear the same voice and see the same model a lot more. Ship technicians on all the planets have different models but the same voice. All children have the exact same model and voice, and both are terrifying, like they've never actually seen a child before when making it. Randomly generated quests are far less interesting than they were in prior games.

Randomly generated locations are all copy-paste. You'll see the exact same layout over and over again. It really wouldn't be difficult to add more variety to the lists. Mostly this affects locations you're randomly sent to or can explore on your own however, and fixed quest locations and areas around major cities are unique.

Combat cover mechanics are awkward and difficult to use. The character status screen needs a way to heal your problems with something from your inventory quickly like there was in Fallout 3 and 4.

Companion interactions and romancing is very disappointing. Very bare bones even compared to Skyrim. A massive step back from what it was in Fallout 4. While more functional in combat, the companions are just dull, uninteresting, and a massive let down.

For some of the good things, weapons functioned better than in any previous game. How you move over-encumbered is handled the best I've ever seen it. The lack of VATS isn't a problem with how much improved the combat is, save for cover. Lots more ways to get hurt or sick with a status effect make things interesting. and it wasn't just a stat reduction like in Skyrim or Oblivion. It actually had a tangible affect on you.

Exploration actually is pretty fun especially on low gravity worlds. Lockpicking is better than it's ever been. Companions are less useless and will actually accomplish something. Random quests are a good way to find an excuse to explore somewhere new. Major questlines are much better than any of the prior games. I really like not having a sense of urgency making me feel guilty for inevitably ignoring the main quest right at the opening of the game. Faction quests are all fun.

The story overall is incredible. You'll enjoy it at lot.

I love customizing my ship. While it could be better, I like getting it just how I want it. Major cities are all very interesting. Side quests are fascinating. some you can stumble across will get you hooked easily.

So overall, great game underneath, lots of potential. But they need to fix a lot of things first. Solid 7.5/10 for now.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Starfield

7.5/10

I'm going to be detailed here but no spoilers, I promise.

Starting with the cons. The game was touted to be Bethesda's least buggy at-launch release ever. Tests determined that was a lie. It's Bethesda's second most buggy release ever, after Morrowind. In fact it might even be buggier than Morrowind because, while buggy, Morrowind had few game breaking bugs.

Starfield is by far the buggiest launch I was there for that I have played day one. It had several game breaking bugs that deletes your followers, deletes your inventory, deletes your ships. Lots of bugs blocking progression on quests, including main quests. Ships, the main core of the game, were very buggy, often leading you to situations where you can get stranded on a planet. Objects from asteroids to entire cities can and eventually will follow your ship, potentially making them unflyable. ships can glitch and make them unusable and disable fast travel until you switch to another ship. not at a place you can switch? You better hope one shows up you can steal or you're stuck there forever. Objects placed inside yourship in containers, displays, out in the open, or in the captain's locker regularly get deleted.

In terms of game design, inventory management was a nightmare, and a serious step back from what it was in previous games. If you want to craft anything you have to built thousands of containers that there's no easy way to fill or get what you need from. Carry capacity was even less than Fallout 4. Ship building is tedious. You need to jump to 5 - 10 locations to build a complete ship and it needs to be functional to save between each one meaning spending extra money on filler parts. And you need a way to customize how sections join. Weapon and armor customization is less open than it was in Fallout 4. Weapon customization has less... uh.. soul I guess to to it compared to Fallout 4. It makes far less of a difference. There needs to be more options to automatically hide your suit in certain situations and not have NPCs think you're still wearing it.

NPC cloning is the worst its ever been in a Bethesda game. You'll hear the same voice and see the same model a lot more. Ship technicians on all the planets have different models but the same voice. All children have the exact same model and voice, and both are terrifying, like they've never actually seen a child before when making it. Randomly generated quests are far less interesting than they were in prior games.

Randomly generated locations are all copy-paste. You'll see the exact same layout over and over again. It really wouldn't be difficult to add more variety to the lists. Mostly this affects locations you're randomly sent to or can explore on your own however, and fixed quest locations and areas around major cities are unique.

Combat cover mechanics are awkward and difficult to use. The character status screen needs a way to heal your problems with something from your inventory quickly like there was in Fallout 3 and 4.

Companion interactions and romancing is very disappointing. Very bare bones even compared to Skyrim. A massive step back from what it was in Fallout 4. While more functional in combat, the companions are just dull, uninteresting, and a massive let down.

For some of the good things, weapons functioned better than in any previous game. How you move over-encumbered is handled the best I've ever seen it. The lack of VATS isn't a problem with how much improved the combat is, save for cover. Lots more ways to get hurt or sick with a status effect make things interesting. and it wasn't just a stat reduction like in Skyrim or Oblivion. It actually had a tangible affect on you.

Exploration actually is pretty fun especially on low gravity worlds. Lockpicking is better than it's ever been. Companions are less useless and will actually accomplish something. Random quests are a good way to find an excuse to explore somewhere new. Major questlines are much better than any of the prior games. I really like not having a sense of urgency making me feel guilty for inevitably ignoring the main quest right at the opening of the game. Faction quests are all fun.

The story overall is incredible. You'll enjoy it at lot.

I love customizing my ship. While it could be better, I like getting it just how I want it. Major cities are all very interesting. Side quests are fascinating. some you can stumble across will get you hooked easily.

So overall, great game underneath, lots of potential. But they need to fix a lot of things first. Solid 7.5/10 for now.
a review i read said there was alotta loading screens he got a lil bit another loading screens....

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Baldur's Gate 3 - 8/10

Despite being overladen with technical issues, having to reload saves from hours before due to screwy story events, and the worst RNG system contrived by mankind (how does a seasoned Gith warrior with a bigass sword miss a goblin at point blank???), I enjoyed my time with Baldur's Gate 3. Sure, the story itself is rightfully laden with every fantasy trope imageinable, but the sheer variety of creepy or beautiful locales felt right at home. Gameplay can be tedious in the starting hours and prone to slowdown in certain areas, but one mod and a timely patch from the devs later and my OC was blowing up everything left and right. I feel like these types of games are best experienced for the power trip, and that everything else up to characters and story are secondary.

Oh, and betraying both the Emperor and Prince Orpheus at the end to become the Absolute was pretty dang neat. All part of the plan!:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom