• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Puberty

Pen

The game is on!
Puberty. A time of change. If you're old enough you've probably gone through it. Everyone goes through this change but the impact of it varies from person to person. How big did this change feel to you? Was it as if you transformed into a new person or was it no big deal? Maybe you're going through it right now. Or perhaps you haven't hit puberty yet. If so, do you fear this change or do you welcome it?

Before I hit puberty I was the shortest guy in my class with the most high-pitched voice of them all. I was even teased for how "girly" my voice sounded. So I was certainly keeping my hopes up for when puberty would come around. It came at the beginning of summer break when I was 13. I grew about half a foot in two months and let me tell ya, my whole body hurt like crazy. My voice also cracked and so I sounded like a hen throughout that entire summer break. My hair also became wavier and much darker. So when I came back to school I really felt like a new person. I still wasn't the tallest but I was slightly above average height. And my voice by then was seriously deeper than any other student in school. So yeah it was quite the experience for me and it went by really fast.

How about you all? :)

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I didn't really undergo any huge obvious physical changes when I started. I was probably 12 years old when I got my first pubic hair. I was excited by it because I had been taught about it in primary school and now it was finally happening. I know some who boasted of having a full bush all ready so I was eager to join the club. Around 12 I also started thinking about sex and girls a lot. All the time really. My hair seemed to darken around this age as well.

I don't remember my voice deepening rapidly and it must have been a slow process.

As for my height, I may have grown a bit initially but only slowly. When I was 17 I was still a mere 5ft 8. But by the time I was 18-19 I was 6ft 3. It was a late growth spurt and I put it down to the fact I didn't really eat as a child or in my early teens. I was ill as a wee lad you see and after that I barely ate. But I rediscovered a love of food around the age of 17 which is probably why my body decided it was time to grow. Maybe if I had eaten good my whole life I could have made it to 6ft6. who knows.

Reactions: Pen

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
As a guy smack dab in the middle of it (I'm 14), I can say that it's both great, and sucks at the same time.

Great:
Girls
Girls
Deep voice
Girls
Muscle definition
Girls
Height (I'm 5' 9" as of now)
Respect

Awful:
Acne (Mine's not that bad. My mom thinks it is though...)
Pubic hair (Why? That's just annoying!)
Clothes stop fitting
Growing up
Work
Voice cracks

funnier6

Courage~
Lessee, puberty sucks, I'm still short, voice isn't that deep, (it can be when I want though) thankfully all my acnes gone.

I think you forgot to mention mood swings, MOOD SWINGS SUCK! At least after you realize you're angry/sad because you're a teenager it gets easier to deal with but still sucks.

I think the only dramatic difference is my face got more defined and I can shave with the sharpest razor there is and still look like I'm trying to grow a beard. (My hair has always grown remarkably fast though)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Puberty wasn't a big deal to me, I can't even recall when it started happening. I just know that one day, I started having pubic hair and at some point my voice changed but it wasn't like some big transformation. I never had an issue with acne, I was always one of the taller kids in school, I was into girls since as long as I could remember, and I don't ever recall going through the awkward voice cracking stage. Everything just came naturally to me and I don't really feel like I changed as a person because of it.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I've never had any growth spurts. I'm not sure if I will but I hope I do someday. I'm 5'11" and I wanna overtake my bro who's 6'3". I had a short bout with acne a while back but that didn't last too long. It's starting to come back tho so I gotta start washing my face more often. My voice still isn't very deep (as you may have heard in podcast episode 5). I'm starting to grow facial hair but only in le mustache region and not a beardy beard. So honestly it hasn't really effected me much, which is lame cuz I'm 17 I should be wrapping up with this stuff you would think.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Puberty was not too bad for me thankfully, and it was a gradual process so nothing suddenly changed. Got a deeper voice, got taller (6'4 fite me) though I'm still skinny. Didn't really have much acne maybe the once in a while zit. Sometimes my ankles would randomly give out for no reason other to embarrass me I guess. Got hair on my face, and got some dope side burns and hair in other places :bubsy: ..... (my arms what were you thinking weirdo) Though I did get hair on my knuckles and toes which is gross imo, so thank god for shaving.
Overall it was a smooth process for me ^^

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Why isn't this is Mature Discussion? Puberty is a PG13 subject. Way too explicit for the general forum.

Anyway, puberty. I don't see what the big deal is. The worst I got was a few gnarly zits on occasion.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Why isn't this is Mature Discussion? Puberty is a PG13 subject. Way too explicit for the general forum.

Anyway, puberty. I don't see what the big deal is. The worst I got was a few gnarly zits on occasion.

Nobody who is genuinely under 13 actually uses these forums and people are scared of the Mature Discussion section.

PS we learn about this suff at 9 in schools.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I'm a girl so I went through 2 changes very obvious to the whole world! It sucks going through puberty as a girl, my chest got big and it got big fast which led to being an easy target for Billy's, and then you are faced with the trauma of needing to go to the toilet in the middle of class and your teacher asking why you need to take a bag with you!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I hated puberty.

For me, it was all negative. I basically got a lot of scratchy facial hair that bothers me to this day. My skin is very sensitive; I can't use razors with more than two blades. And I can only shave every other day without irritating my skin. I have to use either an electric razor or a two-blade razor with a moisture strip to avoid cutting myself, so it takes me about an hour to shave a full beard. I'm always running out of hot water and getting frustrated when trying to shave.

The other big change that happened was that I became more aggressive and suspicious of people. I was always a bit intense, but this made it worse. I became less able to relax, trust people, or simply enjoy myself. Like I'm always on guard whether I want to be or not, like I can't let myself be vulnerable. I feel that I will never experience the kind of emotional highs that I experienced prior to puberty ever again, and will always be locked into a slightly more pessimistic and angry way of thinking for the rest of my life.

Prior to puberty, I had actually been fairly popular and well-liked because I was good at making puns, breaking up fights and resolving conflicts, and I was always approaching people that looked sad in order to comfort them about things, which usually ingratiated them to me. Plus, I was always knowledgeable about various things and people would come to me for advice, or something like that.

Oddly, I don't feel I changed as much as the other boys did, though. I didn't get much taller, I'm still only 5'6". My shoulders aren't exactly broad. My voice really isn't that deep, and it never really "cracked," and only got deeper gradually if at all. I'm still kind of androgynous looking even now at age 29. And I didn't understand what was going on between them and girls. I went through a period where I distrusted girls because I believed that other guys were falling in love with them and doing stuff for them due to the girls emotionally manipulating them on purpose somehow. Like maybe they were all sorcerers/witches and this "love" thing was some kind of weird magic spell not unlike the Charm spell in Final Fantasy. That period didn't last long, though, because I figured out that a lot of the guys were pursuing girls that didn't want to be pursued, which ruled out the idea that they were doing anything specific to cause men to like them on purpose.

It was about this time that most other guys started being cruel to me and picking on me for being weak and not having a girlfriend. I was increasingly seen as weak, whiny, manipulative, and kind of a drama queen, even though I wasn't acting any differently than I had before. So I eventually learned to act very busy and serious, in a way that made me seem standoffish and encouraged people to leave me alone (which was the best I could hope for at this point). I also became very dependent on the approval of adults (having lost the approval of my peers), and focused on my academic performance in order to ensure they remained sympathetic to me. I drew so far into myself and became so contained and controlled in public that people started calling me "The Machine" as a nickname. Everything became a hierarchy or a competition, and I was always at the bottom (unless the competition was based on knowledge or intellect). Eventually, most of my friends were women and nerds simply because they seemed not to hate me for being weak, and understood what it was like to feel intimidated by jerks and never get taken seriously. I used to make jokes about 13 being an unlucky number because it's the age at which most people go through puberty.

I was never bullied physically at school, but there was this one bully that admonished me when I asked why it was he never messed with me. I don't know why I asked, but here's what he said. "You'll never be any tougher, so you're not worth the effort. I know your type. You're weak, you're a tattle-tale, you follow the rules, you play victim, and you would probably fight dirty or be vindictive. Besides, you're so weak and uncoordinated that people would feel sorry for you and gang up on me if I tried it. Honestly, your kind make me sick."

It seems like it was worst for me as a teenager and young adult, but that as I get older, I encounter more people that are like myself, so I don't feel quite so abnormal and out of place. I've definitely made my peace with it now, though it took me a long time. Still, I don't think I'll ever honestly be able to say that I liked puberty or the effect it had on me. I'll always sort of resent how it changed me on some level, and indeed resent the fact that nature requires people to endure such changes.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Man, I miss the days of being in third grade and being top soprano in junior choir at school.

Puberty for me started basically the summer before high school, though it didn't really kick in until I was around 13. I remember when I first spotted hair growth in a certain area, and got really excited. I was 12, and I felt behind because many people I knew already had it, but I later realized that I was around the age when boys first start noticing that. In 8th grade, when I was 13, I started developing acne. Luckily I never got it ridiculously bad, but I had it consistently up until around 11th grade. I hit a massive growth spurt over the summer between Grade 8 and Grade 9, having grown around 5 inches during the 2 month break (from 5' to 5'5"). It was around the beginning of Grade 9, when I was almost 14, that people really started noticing a change in my voice. As a kid, my voice was very high pitched, moreso than most of the other kids I knew (as I said, I was top soprano in third grade). Throughout Grade 9, it gradually got deeper. By the time I was 15, my voice almost sounded the way it does nowadays (I mean it has continued changing since, as voices are almost constantly changing, but very slowly). As for hormones, well those exploded lol. I liked girls as a kid, but I always thought sex was gross and girls had cooties. It was like a switch was flicked, and my hormones went off the wall. I think that's normal, though.

Puberty was relatively smooth for me overall. While I had my mood swings, it didn't really cause many real problems for me. I think most of the problems I had in high school were due to my desire to fit in, rather than the changes in my personality (although puberty might have been a factor, I don't really know). I know people who went through it earlier, I know people who went through it later. I think my puberty change came around the average time for males.

Now... as me and my youngest sister are only two years apart, I got the pleasant experience of witnessing her go through puberty. Let me tell you, oh boy, that sure was something. I don't think I've ever met someone who had as many mood swings as her. Almost never saw a smile on her face, even in my mom's wedding photos she looked miserable. Also, her chest region grew faster than anybody else I've ever known, although that's a trait that was common with all my sisters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom