• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Previously Underutilized Items You'd Like To See Better Implemented In The Future

I don't really have a "yearning" for any previous items to return, although some basic ideas could be carried farther. The Spinner from Twilight Princess would be awesome if it wasn't nearly so slow and clunky without rails and you could use more actions on it, like swinging your sword or jumping. Perhaps you could use it to cross tricky terrain like lava or thorns (as in gliding directly over it, not attaching to rails and going around it).

The whip from Skyward Sword could actually be used for attack, like grabbing one enemy and swinging them around for tactical combat. Add to that frequent objects you can wrap around and swing from, and you have tons more options for battle.

In general, most of my suggestions would boil down to common usage in combat. I'd love for a Zelda game to encourage constant switching between various items as you see fit. This would probably be easiest and best used in an open world design, as linear progression usually entails using an item only in specific locations, then never using it again until the next obligatory puzzle. Doesn't mean it has to be that way with linear progression, but it's easy to fall into that trap.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I don't really have a "yearning" for any previous items to return, although some basic ideas could be carried farther. The Spinner from Twilight Princess would be awesome if it wasn't nearly so slow and clunky without rails and you could use more actions on it, like swinging your sword or jumping. Perhaps you could use it to cross tricky terrain like lava or thorns (as in gliding directly over it, not attaching to rails and going around it).
I would love to see something like. The spinner is a great, but underutilized item.

The whip from Skyward Sword could actually be used for attack, like grabbing one enemy and swinging them around for tactical combat. Add to that frequent objects you can wrap around and swing from, and you have tons more options for battle.

Spirit Tracks uses the whip both for grasping and for combat.

In general, most of my suggestions would boil down to common usage in combat. I'd love for a Zelda game to encourage constant switching between various items as you see fit. This would probably be easiest and best used in an open world design, as linear progression usually entails using an item only in specific locations, then never using it again until the next obligatory puzzle. Doesn't mean it has to be that way with linear progression, but it's easy to fall into that trap.

I'd like to see more items utilized in boss battles. Most of them seem to involve the dungeon's item and maybe the sword. I'd like to see boss battles that use multiple items and not necessarily the item you got in that dungeon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom