• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Predecesor (Art)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
To usher in this new sub-forum, I am posting a link to what is, so far, my very favorite of my own Legend of Zelda fan art pieces. It is a G-rated piece, but I am linking it because it's on North Castle and I do not wish to steal bandwith from them. I'm too lazy to put this thing up on my Photobucket account.

Predecesor

http://www.northcastle.co.uk/guild/art/shadsie/link9.jpg

I believe it made the monthly feature here at one point, but I can't remember what month it was for.

It is acrylic paint on Canson brand canva-paper. The idea for this artwork was born from pieces I'd seen by others on Deviant Art depicting the ghost of the Hero of Time (Ocarina of Time era Link) watching over Link from Twilight Princess. I also felt really sorry for both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess Link while playing their games, since people regarded them in the shadow of "the ancient Hero" for most of the duration of their quests.

I also figured that with so many different LoZ games with different Links in almost each one, this had to have happened sometime - Link finding another Link's grave. So, here is the Link from Twilight Princess doing just that - he's discovered the grave of his ancestor, the Hero of Time. He's wondering if he's doing his ancestor proud.

I gave Link (the living one) the Ordon shield because I haven't seen it depicted very often in fan art. Also, it gave me a chance to paint woodgrain. The hilt on the Ordon sword bothers me, I feel like I botched it up, but otherwise, I really like this piece and am glad to show it off.

Nice piece of art. I'd have to agree with you on the hilt, it does look a little crooked; and I'm not sure how much I like that you can only see one of Link's ears, as it makes it look slightly unbalanced, but those are just minor things.
I really like the detail, especially in the Ordon Shield and on the Gravestone. You must have had to use a tiny brush for those Hylian letters, and they look pretty darn precise. It's certainly a piece of work to be proud of, and if it weren't for those few tiny mistakes I'd consider it a masterpiece.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I could try to fix the hilt in Photoshop, but seeing as the crooked hilt mistake is a part of the original painting, I think it best to leave the imperfection - it gives it character, somehow. It's also a good lesson for future paintings with similar poses.

For the lettering: I used a liner brush, script brush. Very thin, long bristles. I typed out the lettering first in a "TP Hylian" font I found at North Castle and copied the words onto the headstone. It does actually read something, but I forget what and would have to go to the copy of this on Deviant Art (where I wrote it down) to tell you want it says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom