• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible identities in BotW

Figured I'd just put these in one thread, but it's actually two theories about the true identities of several characters.

1. The masked individual is the King of the Gerudo.
We know the Gerudo are in the game, we know a male (their king) is born once every 100 years, and we know that it has been over 100 years since the last known, so everything fits for there to be a King of the Gerudo in BotW.
The individual is shown attacking Link in one clip, but appears on the ground, seemingly being protected by Zelda in another, suggesting that they may be befriended during the game.
His clothes follow a similar colour scheme to those worn by Ganondorf and also shares a similar build.
He is being very careful to hide his identity with the hood and mask, with the Mask of Truth likely being worn upside-down to avoid people mistaking him for a Sheikah.
Due to Ganondorf's past acts, male Gerudo are likely feared by the other Gerudo (who now appear to be allies against Ganon), which would explain the desire to hide his identity.
It is possible that he will align himself with Link and Zelda in order to help defeat Ganon, in an act of redemption for male Gerudo, but only out of necessity, and is reluctant to do so when they first meet.

2. The Link and Zelda in BotW are not the hero and princess who fought Ganon 100 years before.
If you look closely at the tapestry depicting the battle against Ganon, you can see the figures of the hero and princess at the centre with Ganon... the hero wearing iconic green, but appears to be much older than Link, as he appears to have long hair and a beard.
When Link wakes up, the clothes that appear to have been left for him are far too small... more like the clothes of a child, suggesting that he may have aged while he was asleep, meaning he would only have been a child at the time of the battle 100 years before.
If you listen carefully to the voice coming from the castle (which we assumed was Zelda), it actually sounds slightly different from the voice we now know to be Zelda, and none of the clips we've seen seem to imply that Zelda was in the castle either.
The voice from the castle also refers to Link as 'the light - our light -'... that sort of possessive line sounds more like something a mother would say to their child.
This could mean that the voice from the castle is the princess from 100 years before, the old man could be the former hero (likely having married the princess, making him the King), with the Link and Zelda in BotW potentially being their children.
None of the scenes between Link and Zelda imply any sort of romantic relationship like we've seen before... but they are clearly close and care about one another, which would fit for siblings.

I know both of these theories are a bit of a stretch, but the more I think about them, the more they seem to fit, so I just thought I'd see what others think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom