• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible Explanation for Hero' Clothes

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Okay, so the introduction of Skyward Sword as the 1st game (before Ocarina) has created a small continuity issue.

In Twilight Princess, Link receives the "Hero's Clothes" from the Light Spirit Faron. He is told that the clothes belonged to a hero who long ago saved Hyrule from danger.

Prior to the knowledge that SS was the 1st in the timeline, it would have been safe to assume that the clothes were passed from OoT Link and were at some point put into divine hands to be passed to the next great hero. It can then be assumed that they were passed from TP Link to any other Links that followed him on the CT; in other words; CT Links got their clothes descended from OoT Link. AT Links got them from WW Link, who wore them as a custom of his people, who could assumed to wear them in emulation of OoT Link (it should be noted that I haven't played WW, just read the introduction to the story)

But now, we have the complication of whose clothes are the CT Links wearing? We've seen a Link before OoT Link wearing them, so we know that the tradition did not begin with him.

In my poorly educated in Zelda opinion, SS Link in a way founds the Kokiri. Either he literally helps create the tribe, or they begin to emulate him by wearing green tunics.

I think that SS takes place long before OoT, and, over time, the SS Link is forgotten, which explains how there is no reference to a hero in Ocarina, and he is only remembered in the customs of the Kokiri. Then, OoT Link's clothes are passed through the CT.

What do you think? Remember that, again, I haven't played many Zelda games yet, so I'm sorry if this has been addressed or if I'm way off base. I'm just thinking aloud here, on the interwebs.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it's safe to assume that the Hero's Clothes are the clothes that the first Hero wore and is just magically put on the next Hero when awakened, or something. (Save The Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link, as those are completely separate.) I wouldn't expect some large explanation behind it. (And, by the way, Skyward Sword does take place before Ocarina of Time. That's been stated by Nintendo.)

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I can see that being true in some cases, but then why would Link start out in those clothes in Ocarina?

I can see that being true in some cases, but then why would Link start out in those clothes in Ocarina?

I agree, anyway, I dont think its the same clothes for all he links, some of they are (TP, as much as we can tell), and some of them are just similar. Other than divine intervention (and grandma :P), how are the other links supposed to get the same clothes?

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I figured out the sum of what I was trying to ask here, which is basically:

Did the Hero's Clothes in Twilight Princess originally belong to SS Link or OoT Link? It cannot be both since OoT Link has his from childhood and it has been established that SS is before OoT. Also, as a follow up, explain why it is the one you picked (and not the other)?

My answer:
The Hero's Clothes from TP likely originally belonged to OoT Link. SS probably occurred long before OoT, which explains why there is no mention of SS Link in the later games; the legend of that specific hero essentially died out over the years. I think that the Kokiri society was founded and/or underwent a major evolution around the time of SS, and had a great reverence for SS Link; so thus decided to wear green clothing in honor of him. Eventually, the legend of SS Link died out, but the Kokiri kept the tradition. Thus OoT Link wore his society's traditional garb, and eventually through divine mysticism, it passed to the next hero of legend, TP Link.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
In all honesty, there isn't much necessity for controversy here; what leverage are the Hero's Clothes used for? We already know that TP follows the OoT/MM connection on the CT, so the clothes aren't a necessity for timeline placement. Moreover, why does there having been a prior Link to the Hero of Time preclude them having belonged to the Hero of Time?

425 said:
Did the Hero's Clothes in Twilight Princess originally belong to SS Link or OoT Link? It cannot be both since OoT Link has his from childhood and it has been established that SS is before OoT.
Since TP was likely created with OoT in mind, we can assume that the Hero's Clothes probably belonged to the Hero of Time, as the notion for Skyward Sword wasn't likely conceived yet. Why can they not be both? What does it matter if they are one or the other?

Oni Cucco said:
I agree, anyway, I dont think its the same clothes for all he links, some of they are (TP, as much as we can tell), and some of them are just similar. Other than divine intervention (and grandma :P), how are the other links supposed to get the same clothes?
The fact that they all have similar clothing is most likely the developers being consistent, so that the character is easily recognizable at the beginning of the game and is easily representative of the Zelda franchise. That, more than any theory reasoning, is very likely why we keep seeing the "Hero's Clothes." Many of the Green Tunics are just made to honour the original Hero, whoever it was at the time that game's creation, or whatever Hero is still in the hearts and minds of the people of Hyrule and still present in their folklore. It is quite likely the continuation of a tradition or an homage of sorts to a prior Hero.

A

An Hero of Time

I figured out the sum of what I was trying to ask here, which is basically:

Did the Hero's Clothes in Twilight Princess originally belong to SS Link or OoT Link? It cannot be both since OoT Link has his from childhood and it has been established that SS is before OoT. Also, as a follow up, explain why it is the one you picked (and not the other)?

My answer:
The Hero's Clothes from TP likely originally belonged to OoT Link. SS probably occurred long before OoT, which explains why there is no mention of SS Link in the later games; the legend of that specific hero essentially died out over the years. I think that the Kokiri society was founded and/or underwent a major evolution around the time of SS, and had a great reverence for SS Link; so thus decided to wear green clothing in honor of him. Eventually, the legend of SS Link died out, but the Kokiri kept the tradition. Thus OoT Link wore his society's traditional garb, and eventually through divine mysticism, it passed to the next hero of legend, TP Link.

Actually... I would say that TP's clothes most likely belonged to SS Link.

9MJOq.png

779px-Link_Artwork_3_%2528Skyward_Sword%2529.png

Comparing the four outfits together, it's quite obvious that TP and SS Link's clothes bare some striking similarities. There are a few differences between the two, but they're very minor. SS Link's collar is open instead of closed, the chain mail is silver instead of bronze; the pants are slightly baggier. If anything, OoT/MM Link is the odd one out... Completely different gloves, boots, tunic... oh, and the tights too.

Also, The Hero of Time is obviously mentioned in the adult timeline - Wind Waker in particular. However, there is absolutely no mention of the Hero of Time in the child timeline, because he did not rescue Hyrule and imprison Ganondorf in this era. Instead, he went off and saved Termina in MM and tattled on Ganondorf - never to be heard of again in TP's timeline and therefore did not become a respected, legendary hero. Also, not once is the Hero of Time title mentioned in TP. Instead, we hear titles like "The Hero," "Ancient Hero," "Chosen Hero" and "Ancient Messenger of The Heavens," but never once is the "Hero of Time" title seen in TP's narrative. In WW however, several important character such as the King and Laruto mention the title, and even Ganondorf goes as far to say that WW Link's skills are comparable to the Hero of Time's. That, and the OoT sages are pictured in The Master Sword's chamber room.

The only proof in TP are the Howling Stone songs, and even then, some of them are from different games, which have taken place in the other timeline (the Ballad of Gales song from the WW, for example.) So chances are that the songs were just fan service to begin with.

I do agree with your idea about the Kokiri honoring SS Link by wearing a similar form of dress. Chances are that something similar will happen in SS. However, most of the evidence points to TP Link receiving SS Link's clothes - not OoT Link's.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Prior to the knowledge that SS was the 1st in the timeline, it would have been safe to assume that the clothes were passed from OoT Link and were at some point put into divine hands to be passed to the next great hero.

Has it really been confirmed that it is the first on the timeline? I recall it being announced that it was before Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the first on the timeline.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Has it really been confirmed that it is the first on the timeline? I recall it being announced that it was before Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the first on the timeline.
Aonuma said:
I think we've talked with the media about this before, about Ocarina of Time being sort of the oldest story in the Zelda timeline, but, of course, in Ocarina of Time the Master Sword already exists, so it's obviously safe to say that this takes place before Ocarina of Time.
Ocarina of Time was first.
Skyward Sword is before Ocarina
Therefore, Skyward Sword is first.

I wouldn't worry to much about the clothes. It's quite possible that the Kokiri just happen to wear tunics that were popular in Skyloft by coincidence. Of course, I would be pleased if they do explain it.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Ocarina of Time was first.
Skyward Sword is before Ocarina
Therefore, Skyward Sword is first.
Doesn't make it first. Nintendo said they wanted to leave it open by saying it was before OoT. By saying it is first they would never be able to do any stories before SS.
And for safe measure:
Eiji Aonuma’s exact words on the matter are as follows:

“This title [Skyward Sword] takes place before Ocarina of Time. If I said a certain title was ‘the first Zelda game,’ then that means that we can’t ever make a title that takes place before that! So for us to be able to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting titles before or after each other.”

Sorry to go off topic. that just bugged me. But I do not really see the clothes as a timline maker. I just see them as familiar garb worn through the series.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
An Hero of Time said:
Also, The Hero of Time is obviously mentioned in the adult timeline - Wind Waker in particular. However, there is absolutely no mention of the Hero of Time in the child timeline, because he did not rescue Hyrule and imprison Ganondorf in this era. Instead, he went off and saved Termina in MM and tattled on Ganondorf - never to be heard of again in TP's timeline and therefore did not become a respected, legendary hero. Also, not once is the Hero of Time title mentioned in TP. Instead, we hear titles like "The Hero," "Ancient Hero," "Chosen Hero" and "Ancient Messenger of The Heavens," but never once is the "Hero of Time" title seen in TP's narrative. In WW however, several important character such as the King and Laruto mention the title, and even Ganondorf goes as far to say that WW Link's skills are comparable to the Hero of Time's. That, and the OoT sages are pictured in The Master Sword's chamber room.

Very excellent point -- I haven't played WW, as I said, so that's something I couldn't have picked up on. "Ancient Hero" does seem more like SS now. I guess it's possible that Nintendo was in the very early planning phases (as in, to the extent that they knew it was before OoT) of SS when TP came out. I guess it matters to some extent exactly what happened between OoT and MM.

Did Link awaken the Sages? Or did they transcend time? Did anyone tell the king, or did the Sages just execute Ganon? How involved was Link?

The fact that they all have similar clothing is most likely the developers being consistent, so that the character is easily recognizable at the beginning of the game and is easily representative of the Zelda franchise. That, more than any theory reasoning, is very likely why we keep seeing the "Hero's Clothes." Many of the Green Tunics are just made to honour the original Hero, whoever it was at the time that game's creation, or whatever Hero is still in the hearts and minds of the people of Hyrule and still present in their folklore. It is quite likely the continuation of a tradition or an homage of sorts to a prior Hero.

I think I have no doubt about thats why they always give link the same clothes, thats for sure

for the story wise part, I not disagree, but other than the kokiris (and in spirit tracks, cant really say something because I haven't played it...:() there are no people with similar clothes, so, its not really as many people remembering the ancient hero. So, why (story wise, remember ) every link wear similar clothes, I dont think they are all the same, since most links start as normal people it would be hard to think they get them for a divine motive (a giant sacred spirit giving you some green clothes dont let you think you are normal...)

Someway, it seem like in many games link is related to the knights of hyrule blood line, it can be related to this, but is no like there are other knights wearing hero clothes

I am starting to think is related to tingle :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom