• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possble Nintendo 3ds Mod??

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
Alright guys, this a somewhat of a pointless mod and something that'll most likely amaze me. So the mod i was thinking about putting a regular 3ds into an original ds case, I did measurements and looked at images of the original ds since I haven't owned one since '04, and what I seen is some customizing too the case and or creating an identical case that looks likes the original ds shell but fits the 3ds comfortably. Again its just something that's really something that'll be for maybe just my benefit or some other people that'll think its a cool project to pass time. i'm in the middle of drawing and measuring again (ALWAYS MEASURE TWICE), However I'm using measurements of the original ds thats already on the internet and I have one regular 3ds for the mod. Please let me know what you think of it. im in the middle of creating the design and everything, basically step one, not complete

Um... not sure I follow. You want to take the components out of the 3DS shell and put them into a DS? Not totally sure how that'd work out, as I don't see certain parts lining up well. Not to mention, you will have to carve away a notch into Slot 1 if you want any hopes of being able to fit a 3DS cartridge in there. It's... an interesting challenge, but it's a pretty big gamble, seeing that the outcome might not yield something completely worthwhile. Of course, you're planning for it, so just make sure you put the adapter port into consideration. Depending if you're using a DS or a DS Lite, the 3DS port might not be able to fit into the hole cutout in the plastic, so you'd have to do a little bit of sizing again. Just be careful. Disassembling them voids any possible warranty you have on the systems, so if something goes wrong--like a part gets damaged or such--you're hosed.

--Though if you could get a 3DS to play GBA games, that'd be really awesome. xD Good luck!

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
my 3ds warrenty ran out long time ago, i was looking at the ds phat as the model and seeing many many differences. it might be cheaper too create a prototype out of balsa wood or something than create a plastic mold from that. basically taking the ds phat shape and making a new case for the mod

Fig

The Altruist
I'm not too sure I understand the reasoning behind a 3DS mod to make it look like an original DS system. Personally I found the DS very bulky and barely able to fit into the front pocket of my jeans. From what I can understand, this is simply create a shell that looks and feels like the original DS shell. The idea seems promising, but I personally see no need to do so. All it is a custom design to the exterior of the system and not to allow the system to function similarly to a DS. If the mod were to actually function like the DS then it would be pretty cool to see but usually a 3DS is modded to only have a custom design or to have a capture card installed for Let's Plays. So with that said, if the mod is simply making the 3DS be externally designed to appear as DS, it would be a waste of time and resources as there are better cases for the system anyways or you can send it to a designer to have a custom look on your 3DS system.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I was hoping this would be a software mod...

But yeah, there's no logical raisin to stick your shiny 3DS in a gross uncomfortable DS shell. The 3DS shell is better in every way, and I don't think the 3DS hardware would even fit.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
The top screen size alone would cause you to need to cut away at the visible plastic. The 3ds is smaller that the original ds, so it could technically be done, but some cutting would be necessary. Now an issue with this would be the gba slot. The 3ds would not need it, so you'd be left with a useless hole in the bottom of the console. Another issue is the ds slot. It may not align properly with the slot on the 3ds motherboard, causing yes another issue. So, if you really want to do this, I recommend getting 3d schematics of both consoles, and combine them to create a shell that looks like the original ds on the outside, yet has the capability of holding the 3ds motherboard and screens properly, and using a 3d printer, print it yourself.

and as an afterthought, do you have any modding experience? This doesn't seem like a good first attempt at modding. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

I was hoping this would be a software mod...

But yeah, there's no logical raisin to stick your shiny 3DS in a gross uncomfortable DS shell. The 3DS shell is better in every way, and I don't think the 3DS hardware would even fit.

If you're looking for a software mod, there is a guy named smea who has done a lot of work recently. He doesn't release his work, due to being firmly against piracy, but he's trying to release something that would allow homebrew, without allowing rom loaders. (see here)

Last edited:

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
I modded before small stuff, but i was looking at a modding website called bacteria's forum and many of the member's there use abs plastic too cover hole or fix stuff that's problematic too their mods. It's a cool website and some of the member's there will help people who need help. so I still want to try this.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Alright. You'll need a triwing screwdriver (also known as a nintendo bit) to open up the case. I recommend picking up a broken ds phat from ebay, you can get them pretty cheap, and won't have to cannibalize a good working system. I couldn't find any, but another option to that is pick up a replacement shell for the DS phat.

Another problem you may run into is the ribbon cable the connects the top screen to the bottom screen. We can cross our fingers and hope it aligns, but it might no be long enough.

If you do decide to do this, I hope you'll post some pictures, looks like it could be pretty interesting. and if you need any help, I'll do what I can, but I'm not an expert.

Last edited:

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
I know about the tools I need for the mod, might need some soldering some stuff. Hopefully it works and will look good. I really like how the original ds looks like cause it looks unique and from the ds lite till now besides the 2ds, they're all plain looking except if you get a limited edition of a console which seems too be a lot lately for the xl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom