• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Poorly Received Titles

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
there are numerous games that are poorly received. There are huge assortments of games that are, at best critic level, poorly received. From ~92% of the Wii's library (which was commonly called shovelware) to the more 'mediocre' titles like Sonic the Hedgehog and Kingdom Hearts Re:coded, you can find these kinds of games for any console. My questions for le you are:

1) What do you think of these titles in general?
2) Do you ever try out titles that are poorly received?
3) Have you found any 'diamonds in the rough'?

Big Octo

=^)
1) If I haven't already played the game, I will still assume it's bad. Unlike reviews from film critics, I can usually trust a game reviewer because, more often than not, their judgements will be accurate. A game is bad for a reason.

2) Ocassionally, but not very often. If I do, I rarely pay full price for the game. I usually rent it to see what all the fuss is about and immediatly regret it. Even so, I'm glad that I didn't pay 50-60 USD for an unimpressive game.

3) To be honest, I can't say I have. Sure, there may be moments in generally bad games that I like, but I have not really found a poorly recieved game that I enjoyed myself.

'mediocre' titles like Sonic the Hedgehog and Kingdom Hearts Re:coded

Re:Coded is mediocre. Sonic the Hedgehog '06 is FAR below mediocre.

I don't usually prefer to play games that are universally panned, but I have before, at least a few times. No diamonds in the rough thus far. I think that when the gaming community in general can actually agree about the quality of a game, they usually aren't wrong. :l

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm very picky with games. Rarely will I buy a game that scores anything below a 90 average with critics. Because of this, I like having series like Mario and Zelda that I can blindly trust. If I don't replay the game 10 times within the first year, it was a waste of money.

Do I try out poorly received titles? I try to avoid them(I don't have money to waste)...but there have been two times that my blindness got me a bad title. Mario Kart Wii and Paper Mario Sticker Stars. Although, I can only count Sticker Stars seeing as Mario Kart Wii is praised for reasons that I can't fathom.

Diamonds in the rough? Depends on what you mean by poorly received...if sales count then Okami. If we're just going by critical score, I'll say Glover was underrated, although I might be a little nostalgia blind with that game.

1) What do you think of these titles in general?

• Well, I almost never listen to, watch, or read reviews anymore. Even when I did, I never took others' opinions as gospel; just a little nudge in the right direction as to whether I should even consider purchasing the game. Ultimately, I am the judge when it comes to the quality of a given game, in which case my judgment is always the correct, and I've never played a crap-tier title, let alone purchased one. Geaux me.​

2) Do you ever try out titles that are poorly received?

• As stated above, no. As I have never come across such a title.​

3) Have you found any 'diamonds in the rough'?

• N/A​

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
1) To be completely honest, most of them actually aren't all that bad to me. Granted, I haven't really seen nor played very many of these games, but in general I would say that I have mixed feelings. Some of them deserve the ratings they receive, but a lot of them are better (to me anyway) than a lot of people think.

2) Yes, I sometimes do. Like I said above, I find a lot of these games to be underrated, so I like to experience them first hand. I don't always trust critics, since they have different opinions than me. A game they hate may be a game that I absolutely love.

3) Well, seeing as I do not think as lowly as a lot of people on some games, I can say that I have. An example would be Luigi's Mansion. You might argue that this game was not poorly received, but it only got an average of around 80. Compared to most of the other games I've played, that is terrible! It is a great game! :)

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Sonic '06 would of actually been a pretty decent game (I mean it's storyline would still be sorta stupid, but...) if it HAD ACTUALLY BEEN FINISHED. But it was a horrible game because for some reason someone thought that an unfinished game being released sooner is better than a finished game being released later.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I bought a game for the Wii called Build n' Race for about 10 bucks. It was kinda glitchy, but I never expected such an in-depth track designer for a budget title. Needless to say, I spent countless hours building tracks, and sometimes the glitches made the game even more fun--I loved making tracks that exploited them :)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I only buy games that interest me. I don't listen to media or reviewers when I make a decision to buy a game. I have enjoyed games that many people hated and I have hated many games that other people adore. It's just a difference of opinion, I guess.

So my opinion on poorly received titles is "don't knock it till you try it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom