• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon in Super Smash Bros. 4

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Playable Pokemon characters are a staple in the Super Smash Bros. games. The first game featured two playable Pokemon, Pikachu and Jigglypuff. They are certainly going to feature in Smash Bros. 4 as playable characters, along with the 10 other original characters playable in Super Smash Bros. 64, due to the already perfect attendance.

Melee introduced Mewtwo and Pichu, neither of which returned to Brawl. Mewtwo was essentially replaced by Lucario, and Pichu was dropped entirely. In his place, we got the Pokemon Trainer, who has Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, changeable during gameplay upon being KO'd or with their down special move.

My question today is, what scenario should Pokemon Trainer and Lucario face?
Should Lucario be replaced and suffer the same fate as Mewtwo? Should Pokemon Trainer get a new trio of Pokemon or be dropped entirely? Should Pokemon characters be simplified to only Pikachu and Jigglypuff? Discuss.

Dan

I like the concept of the pokemon trainer. He needs to keep there. Replacing Lucario would be fine on the other hand.
I wouldn't want him to change too much. If anything at most change the trio to the Johto starters since people love those too.

Lucario should be replaced by Zoroark from Generation V, another biped capable of such awesome abilities. The Pokemon Trainer was a half baked idea and I'm perplexed as to why Sakurai chose to include Red in Brawl as opposed to a new trainer from Sinnoh. Pikachu and Jigglypuff will obviously return along with the other 10 fighters from the N64 original; as you maintained they've had perfect attendance in the franchise thus far. The problem with simplifying the Pokemon franchise to just two fighters is the untapped potential in a franchise literally bursting to the seams with new IPs. Also the Pokemon Company garners significant profits for Nintendo even if it is only partially owned by the Kyoto based developer. Reducing support for the franchise would be an unwise move.

Well if my Brawl disk still worked I would be using Pokemon Trainer to this day. I thought it was a very original idea. I had a good idea for the Pokemon Trainer, but it would be way too hard to implement. I thought if there was a way to give the pokemon trainer pokemon from a players game like say Heart Gold and allow them to use them it would be really cool. Really hard to set up and probably not worth the trouble, but that would be really cool.

As for the Mewtwo Lucario thing, I don't really know what they'll do. They might get rid of that slot for something else, but their type was a kind of unique one. I could see them keeping it filled with a pokemon, but if they did I'm not sure if you would see Mewtwo or Lucario. I think they used Lucario last time because he would be more relevant to today's pokemon fans.

I also think they should get rid of Jigglypuff and make Magikarp playable instead because Magikarp kicks ***!

Edit: I heard that they wanted to make all the fighters more unique and not expand the roster as much, so I figure they're going to keep the unique fighters

Last edited:
I agree with ALIT on this thread, Lucario replaced Mewtwo and i was under the impression it was because the Pokemon movie featuring Lucario was still hot news around the time of Brawl and So Zoroak would probably be another suitable replacement for the same reason. I know bugger all about Pokemon now, last game i played was Gold, i still watch the movies but only for sociable nights where dares are put in place when someone sees a pokemon they aren't familiar with (good fun if you aren't a poke-nerd).

I was gutted when they replaced Mewtwo, he is the first true geeks-legendary and the first movie featuring him was wonderful as was the symbiotic relationship with the anime series at the tim which teased us so much before the event that was the first movie was finally released.... And so i'd love for Mewtwo to come back, alas i don't think we'll see him again. A seedy side of the smash Bros series seems to be advertising; Pit eventually got his own game due to fan acclaim, and perhaps the inclusion of Olimar was to remind people that Pikmin existed. The same can be said for the included pokemon, advertising the entries to the series both in terms of playable characters and the collectable trophies to further the interest of characters... though smash Bros is also a celebration of nintendo and who are we to complain if smash bros does serve as a springboard for other characters...

Pokemon trainer was awful though, i really didn't like that. Perhaps a pokemon with evolutions as its down special (much like pokemon trainer's switching of pokemon) would be nice, but then it'd be a bit backwards when it de-evolved since i don't think any pokemon actually do that...

Perhaps a team of starting pokemon who work in unison like the ice climbers do would be a nice alternative to the pokemon trainer? Lets just hope team rocket don't become playable with their set pokemon to go with the pokemon trainer should he make a return.

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
I'll be very surprised if Zoroark doesn't replace Lucario in the next Smash Bros. It seems like the most sensible Pokemon to update with, since it is from the newer generation and is somewhat well known. It could also have an interesting move set.

I liked the idea of the Pokemon Trainer and how there were three fighters you could switch, each with differing attributes. would love to see it again! Perhaps they'll do the same with what they have done with Mewtwo and Lucario, and update the Pokemon he uses. Maybe something like one of the Black/White or Black/White 2 trainers and different evolved forms of the Unova starters.

domo

I think my head stopped hurting finally
I'd like to see the trainer with a new trio. Personally I'd like to see the Johto trio come, I'd love to see typhlosion in Super Smash Bros., as for jigglypuff I'd rather see dropped entirely. It was never useful or fun for me to use.

Dan

Lucario should be replaced by Zoroark from Generation V, another biped capable of such awesome abilities. The Pokemon Trainer was a half baked idea and I'm perplexed as to why Sakurai chose to include Red in Brawl as opposed to a new trainer from Sinnoh. Pikachu and Jigglypuff will obviously return along with the other 10 fighters from the N64 original; as you maintained they've had perfect attendance in the franchise thus far. The problem with simplifying the Pokemon franchise to just two fighters is the untapped potential in a franchise literally bursting to the seams with new IPs. Also the Pokemon Company garners significant profits for Nintendo even if it is only partially owned by the Kyoto based developer. Reducing support for the franchise would be an unwise move.

I personally don't see how it was half baked. Most likely Nintendo choose red, because he was the most recognised protagonist when it comes to Pokemon. Appearing in the most games.

I have to agree with Dan on that one. They said they wanted to try to balance the next game better and him being in it would destroy that balance

With The Pokémon trainer, I think the trainer will be the one(s) from Gen V so they would proberly have the three starters from that reigon. I think the Unova Pokémon Trainer will use Snivy, Dewott and Emboar. As for Lucario, I'm not sure because Alot of people liked Mewtwo and they really want him back. I'm not sure about replacing Lucario with Zoroark either. Lucario was introduced very early in Gen IV, so Lucario was really familiar. With Zoroark, yes he was introduced very early in Gen V, but by the time the New Super Smash Bros. comes out, we would of already had Black and White 2 and there is proberly a Pokémon in Gen V that is more recognisable then Zoroark. Like I say, I don't know what they plan to do with Lucario, either we have Mewtwo return or mabye replace Lucario with Zoroark, It's too soon to say.

Fig

The Altruist
Pokémon Trainer should be kept for sure but when he has a different color scheme, he changes into a new character along with a new set of Staters. Here's what I mean:

Red color scheme: Red, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Blue color scheme: Blue, Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Blastoise
Green color scheme: Leaf/Green, Charmander, Wartortle, Venusaur
Yellow color scheme: Gold, Chikorita, Craconaw, Typhlosion
Light Blue color scheme: Diamond, Turtwig, Monferno, Empoleon
Black color scheme: Black, Oshawott, Servine, Emboar

Lucario might be changed for a Gen V Pokémon. If that's the case, I would like to see Zoroark take Lucario's place and continue his legacy. :)

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Pokémon Trainer should be kept for sure but when he has a different color scheme, he changes into a new character along with a new set of Staters. Here's what I mean:

Red color scheme: Red, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Blue color scheme: Blue, Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, Blastoise
Green color scheme: Leaf/Green, Charmander, Wartortle, Venusaur
Yellow color scheme: Gold, Chikorita, Craconaw, Typhlosion
Light Blue color scheme: Diamond, Turtwig, Monferno, Empoleon
Black color scheme: Black, Oshawott, Servine, Emboar

Lucario might be changed for a Gen V Pokémon. If that's the case, I would like to see Zoroark take Lucario's place and continue his legacy. :)
This would be nice to see, although since it would mean a different character for each palette swap, you'd effectively have nine players coming from the Pokemon franchise after you include Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario or his potential swap.

Personally, since they replaced Mewtwo with Lucario during the shift from Melee to Brawl, replacing Lucario with Zoroark would be reasonable. This is really the only change I'm expecting; everything else should basically stay the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom