• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PlayStation Battle Royale: Blatant Rip-Off

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
It's true. Sony- Not satisfied with their shady business practices- has decided to step down, relax, and crack open a cold one as they make a rip off of Smash Brothers.

Has anyone seen anything about this?

I don't mean to internet paperboy but I just wanna know what everyone thinks of this. I personally think it's funny, at this point Sony must really be that desperate, I am however not surprised.

So what do you guys think? What characters or stages would you like to see? Who would be your main?

I'll give it a try just because I love fighting games that much and... SACKBOY :D

Did anyone ever play Jump Super Stars? Good Smash Bros Clone btw

Yeah, man! You show 'em how it's done! I tried to argue the same position as you on the Zelda Universe Forums but was quickly shut down. I agree with your position. :)

I absolutely love games of this style, however, I'll be blunt about it and say the visuals are rather bland for a PS3 game and All-Stars is a complete rip-off of Smash Bros. just as the PS Move was of the Wii Remote. It's sure to be a good game but it's still a rip-off.

Also, some screens for those unfamiliar with the game:

Screen-shot-2012-04-24-at-6.02.39-PM.png

Screen-shot-2012-04-24-at-12.53.02-PM.png

Screen-shot-2012-04-24-at-6.02.04-PM.png

As for characters I'd like to see-Nathan Drake from Uncharted and Nathan Hale from Resistance. That is all. :)

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I'm personally looking forward to the game. It'll be like a new Smash Bros with a completely new character list instead of a handful of switch-outs.

I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if Cole from inFamous isn't in the game though.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I think stealing original concepts from Nintendo is the only way Sony and Microsoft can succeed in this day and age. Watch, they'll be ripping of Nintendo's Wii U touchpad/monitor controller soon.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I think stealing original concepts from Nintendo is the only way Sony and Microsoft can succeed in this day and age. Watch, they'll be ripping of Nintendo's Wii U touchpad/monitor controller soon.

I was under the impression that Sony had already done the whole 'controller with a screen thing' with their idea of using a PSP to control a PS3.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Well that's a bit different. That's a handheld system to do things with a console system; which I think Nintendo already did that with Gameboy Advance and gamecube (Not to mention DS with Wii). So Sony is still stealing

Dan

I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner and I really couldn't care less if there ripping off smash bros. Who doesn't want to see there favourite sony characters rolled into one game. People copy idea's all the time. So many great games have come from it too. Saints row, kart racing games such as crash team racing and sonic and sega all stars racing etc

I would like to see crash bandicoot although sony don't really own him now do they ?
Nathan drake will definitely be in there no doubt about it !

I'll be happy if Cloud from Final Fantasy VII is in it. It makes sense, doesn't it? He pretty much sold the Playstation in 1997.

EDIT: And people thought that the Wii U's name was bad! :lol:

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
YO THIS IS A BIG NO NO SONY IS COPING NINTENDO YO

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, this looks absolutely terrible. If you wanna clone SSB, copy it ALL of the way. From what I've seen of gameplay, it just looks unpolished and crappy. Building up a super meter? This isn't your standard 2D fighting game. Super meter is akin to Final Smash, except from what I read it's the ONLY way to kill an enemy, which is dumb. Even though it looks terribad and we will probably have to pay for patches when this game releases, I will give it a chance. Sony isn't THAT bad. Hopefully it releases on Xbox360. :lol:

/my main, if he's in the game, will be Sora./

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I don't bother with Sony products, mostly because its exclusive games don't excite me, and then there's rubbish like this.

I want someone to help me out here because there's something I don't get. I wasn't paying too much into people's reactions when Microsoft and Sony when they announced their motion controls a few years into their consoles lifespan. The same goes when there's rumors about the next xbox might be using a Wii U like tablet (source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462613)

But now I'm seeing reactions for this and people seems to be upset. What I want to know is, when is it ok for a developer to make a game before they crossed a line? Because all I can think about is, who cares? There has been games done in the past that payed homage to other games and it worked for them.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I have to wonder something, have Nintendo given any sort of opinion on this game? Surely, they're aware of it's existence.

I don't see the point in getting so worked up over a game 'stealing' an idea, and yes it is clear that this was based off of SSBB but that's beside the point, when the actual companies involved haven't figuratively called each other out. If the game companies are fine with the two games being similar, or copied whatever, then surely the consumers could let it go.

Haven't personally heard a single thing about Nintendo disapproving or taking legal action. Let the game go on as it were.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Yeah, I saw this and immediately thought of Smash Bros. The reason Smash Bros. did/does well was because there was nothing like it when it came out. Also it allowed you to play as characters that you grew up with, this game doesn't have many characters that people care about. It is just a blatant rip-off of Super Smash Bros. Sony just loves to copy good franchises. Sony hasn't even made one good game, their good games have all come from third party game companies (I have nothing against 3rd party games but Sony should try to make their own games).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom