• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Playing As Zelda..

I hear talk every now and again about Nintendo mixing up the formula and giving us a Zelda game where we play as, well, Zelda. Now I for one am not against this idea, but I think if they did it they would have to make it a different type of game. Not just a traditional Zelda game where you play as Zelda, something different. Maybe more action oriented, RPG like, or what I would like most, stealth based. I think if they did do one they should start in the OOT era, and you get to play as Zelda when she was disguised as Shiek. How awesome would that be? What do you guys think?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
We've already been able to play as Zelda in Spirit Tracks, albeit in the form of a Phantom, but I suppose you're referring to playing as Zelda alone and not switching between her and Link. In that case, I agree with you; a spin-off would be better suited to that than an actual, in-series game. Although, I would really enjoy seeing gameplay featuring both Link and Zelda like in Spirit Tracks return, because that was really cool and very enjoyable. But I'm not opposed to the idea of a spin-off in which you play as Zelda. That could be a lot of fun.

I love to see this in a future game, but I think having a playable Zelda (outside of Spirit Tracks) should be in a spin-off game than part of the main series. Heck, Mario & Sonic did it, so why not Zelda?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I agree. I really think if we're going to play as Zelda and only Zelda, it should be as a spin off. For one thing, Link is a surprisingly popular character among the fanbase (Mostly with the ladies, but I digress). I don't think it would go over well with a lot fans if he were bumped out of the picture. Not to mention, she likely wouldn't control the same way Link would. If you notice, he can do some fighting techniques that... I don't know, man, they're just physically impossible (Spin attack, anyone?). It's fairly safe to assume this is a perhaps a power he receives from his triforce piece, and Zelda--not possessing this piece--likely wouldn't be able to do these moves. So, drastically changing the playing style would probably make it seem a little out of place in the main series. It might not be intended to be a spin-off, but it would probably feel like one because of this.

That being said, I would would absolutely love to see some kind stealth-based spin-off game where you play as Zelda (Maybe as Shiek? :thinking:). I think it could be a really amazing game if Nintendo were to combine stealth with magical abilities. And hey, if Peach got her own game (Don't even get me started on Super Princess Peach!) I think Zelda deserves one too.

And if not, I'd actually be very open (Check: would fangirl like crazy) if we had little in-between segments where we get to play as Zelda. (Sorry if this idea-pitch is getting repetitive. I know I've said it a million times, but I'd really like to see it!) Think similar to the first two Paper Mario games with Princess Peach's little missions between chapters, except these segments would be a little more action-based and less just finding out things. Maybe Zelda could even sneak herself out of imprisonment without Link's help this time, stealthily taking out guards via the Gerudo Fortress method from Oot? I don't know, I think it would be really cool to see the story told from two different perspectives, especially because I don't think Zelda gets enough of the limelight.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
We had a topic like this before, I talked about this issue before, so I'll just summarise my points:

I don't care about Zelda being a main characters, to me that would lead to more storylines and stuff since you know Zelda is NOT a blank slate type of character unlike Link, I get uneasy about these sort of things, it might end up having as much if not more cutscenes than SS, so there's my worry.

Okay, so IF the idea of playable main character Zelda, it should be kept as a spin-off rather than a main game, also Link should be kept out of it in order to avoid a scene where he might speak....

Wow, did I say summary? Didn't mean it to be this long. :xd:

Clank

Hmm
I mean we have to make sure that Zelda at least doesn't wear green, otherwise the people that say Zelda is the dude in green would be right...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
While I do think it would be cool to be able to play as Zelda, I see that as more of a spinoff thing than a main series thing. Link has always been the canonical hero, so it just wouldn't make sense to change that.

Unless it's like playing as her for small sections, like what was done in Spirit Tracks, that I would like to see again. It was executed really well, and was a neat concept.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is different, it can only be in a spinoff game, this is too different
------
That out of the way, I believe Zelda has so much untapped potential as a playable character and especially as THE playable character. We've gone through so much in the series, from mazes to hallways - from no voices to voice-acted cutscenes. Shoddy creations aside, the series just has a ton of room that it refuses to make use of, and Zelda being fully playable in much the same vein as Link is part of that untapped space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom