• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Physics Puzzles In Future Titles?

Would You Like to See Physics Puzzles in Future Titles?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Doesn't matter

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Seriously, think about it. Link has the athletic abilities of a ninja. He's got moves like Jagger. He's a total bad@$$. So why not show these abilities off? I'd seriously like to see Link be given more parkour moves than just running up a wall. Give Link some moves to where he can jump across narrow surfaces and climb along some tough walls. I'm not asking for Assassin's Creed extremity involving this, but physics puzzles would immensely benefit the series, especially in the overworld puzzles (assuming that stays in the series, which I'm sure it will).

Last edited:
Seriously, think about it. Link has the athletic abilities of a ninja. He's got moves like Jagger. He's a total bad@$$. So why not show these abilities off? I'd seriously like to see Link be given more parkour moves than just running up a wall. Give Link some moves to where he can jump across narrow surfaces and climb along some tough walls. I'm not asking for Assassin's Creed extremity involving this, but physics puzzles would immensely benefit the series, especially in the overworld puzzles (assuming that stays in the series, which I'm sure it will).

Definitely. I think we got one step closer to that with the ability to run and the stamina meter in Skyward Sword. This would be a great gameplay mechanic for future Zelda titles. Puzzle-solving would go an extra step further with these abilities added to Link's repertoire. Imagine free-running through forests or hopping from roof to roof in Castle Town. It would be a great addition to the series for both puzzle-solving and sidequests (reaching Pieces of Heart, for example).

Of course, expanding Link's move set and incorporating puzzles based around his new aesthetic is a great idea. The moment this and voice acting are implemented is when the franchise moves into the future.

I agree completely; although, I'll save the voice acting argument for another thread.

Dan

Yeah I like this idea JJ. You could call him Linkthan drake ;)
I think it would make a good CHANGE TO THE FORMULA. (Lightning strikes and a 1000 hardcore zelda fans shiver)

Definitely. I think we got one step closer to that with the ability to run and the stamina meter in Skyward Sword. This would be a great gameplay mechanic for future Zelda titles. Puzzle-solving would go an extra step further with these abilities added to Link's repertoire. Imagine free-running through forests or hopping from roof to roof in Castle Town. It would be a great addition to the series for both puzzle-solving and sidequests (reaching Pieces of Heart, for example).

Agreed. Skyward Sword, in my opinion, initiated the first steps to the series' becoming more physics-oriented. Further advancements of said physics should definitely be built on to further the series' immersive qualities. It would also serve to increase overall interactivity with the in-game environments and thereby increase replay value tremendously.

To me, Link is a swordsman and weapon master. Maybe too much parkour would hurt his image, I didn't mind his running up walls in SS because his animation looked clumsy, more like he was just pushing himself with momentum and not trying to be clever. If Link starts doing spin jumps and twirling backflips off of walls etc then I think it'd look out of place. I like that Zelda as a whole hasn't gone the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Bloodrayne 2, Prince of Persia etc route with puzzles and physics. Though right now any change to Zelda will most likely be good change I just hope Nintendo don't over do it if they decide to implement something like this.

Its hard to say? While it would be awesome to have in the game...what would its affect be on other possible puzzles? They would have to do stuff to keep things out of reach until the item/skill required to reach it is made available?

However its a big yes from me as i do love the idea just a little scared of how it would affect the game :)

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I definitely agree that Nintendo needs to do some physics puzzles. I'm not talking about simple "drag the block to balance the platform", but I mean more advanced physics stuff. Personally, my favorite physics engine is Havok. For those who don't know, Havok has been in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, every Halo game since the second, all Source Engine games, and the list just goes on and on.

The Legend of Zelda series has definitely had its share of very interesting puzzle concepts, and applying physics, such as those of Havok, would definitely add on to the Zelda experience. In general, a great physics engine for Zelda with ragdolls would be awesome. We've seen how the character models work in Skyward Sword, so if they were to actually fall on the ground instead of just do some sort of leap back, that would definitely be quite nice.

We've already seen what wind can do in the Zelda series for puzzles, mainly in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. We've even seen puzzles in Wind Waker in which you position boxes to float (Tower of the Gods), now imagine those with actual physics. The WiiU, if I recall correctly, is supposed to have either a dual or quad core processor. If they used Havok, it wouldn't even need that much power to run. So, yes, physics is definitely a good way to go.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I definitely agree that Nintendo needs to do some physics puzzles. I'm not talking about simple "drag the block to balance the platform", but I mean more advanced physics stuff. Personally, my favorite physics engine is Havok. For those who don't know, Havok has been in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, every Halo game since the second, all Source Engine games, and the list just goes on and on.

The Legend of Zelda series has definitely had its share of very interesting puzzle concepts, and applying physics, such as those of Havok, would definitely add on to the Zelda experience. In general, a great physics engine for Zelda with ragdolls would be awesome. We've seen how the character models work in Skyward Sword, so if they were to actually fall on the ground instead of just do some sort of leap back, that would definitely be quite nice.

We've already seen what wind can do in the Zelda series for puzzles, mainly in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. We've even seen puzzles in Wind Waker in which you position boxes to float (Tower of the Gods), now imagine those with actual physics. The WiiU, if I recall correctly, is supposed to have either a dual or quad core processor. If they used Havok, it wouldn't even need that much power to run. So, yes, physics is definitely a good way to go.

I totally agree with you that Havok should be in Zelda's future. I've seen way too many awesome things done with it for it to not be used in Zelda
Wii U.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Totally agree with physics puzzles, like hopping from wall to wall (kind of like how New Super Mario Bros DS handles wallhopping) and stuff like that. Nothing too fancy, and I'm STILL not sure how Havok would be implemented. It could work, but I don't know how.

And next we should get QTEs for immersion. :right:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Totally agree with physics puzzles, like hopping from wall to wall (kind of like how New Super Mario Bros DS handles wallhopping) and stuff like that. Nothing too fancy, and I'm STILL not sure how Havok would be implemented. It could work, but I don't know how.

Kinda like how anything would be implemented? You know, just... put it in the game. :/

Big Octo

=^)
Sure. SS already took a step into the concept, so why not evolve it further. I'd find it quite interesting to see Link with more athletic ability in parkour/free running. But, as you said, not as hardcore as Assassin's Creed. Nonetheless, a feature like this would more than likely only bring benefits.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
To make things much clearer, the moves you'll see Death do in this preview of Darksiders II from E3 will show you the kind of things I'd like to see in Zelda involving physics puzzles.

Do note that I'm not talking about the combat. That sort of stuff belongs in God of War (which is what it was ripped from).

[video=youtube;jfD-bmQl5ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfD-bmQl5ws[/video]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom