• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

People who say Zelda is for kids

I always thought it was meant for kids?. But i think reason people may assume it was for adults in a sense is Ocarina of Time which is a great game, but people in the 90s were less whimps i think. But parents obviously nowadays are way too much sensitive to that stuff. So its why they drop the more gruesome stuff that were more common in the old one, essentially to appeal as a family console.

I think my only issue with BoTW and TofK games are, the graphics looks really... mediocre. Like it has that Overwatch, Fortnite vibe to it "though not as bad but close to it". But the issue is solid graphics like this dont focus on texture or shadows and that makes it look like a cheap phone game often or mediocre. Compare it to other games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 game which looks insanely good, or even if one wants a stylistic graphic choice, there is Mirrors Edge which is simple but its still artistically competent is what i mean.

But what do you think?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
amon.gif

Avatar: The Legend of Korra was also for kids.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I've heard people say Pokemon is for kids but not Zelda. I think it's for everyone. Tho I'd like it if we have a low-key witche- *ahem* or maybe like Skyrim with a bit o blud

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
I've heard people say Pokemon is for kids but not Zelda. I think it's for everyone. Tho I'd like it if we have a low-key witche- *ahem* or maybe like Skyrim with a bit o blud
I would love a Mature rated Zelda, like how they did Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Problem is I doubt Nintendo would do it because it would ignore a major part of the market, kids.

I could see a different game studio making M-rated Zelda with Nintendo’a blessing, them footing the bill.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Just because something is appropriate for kids doesn’t make it childish for adults to play. Media doesn’t have to be filled with violence or other “adult” themes to be suitable for those over the age of 18.

By the time you’re an adult it honestly doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks anyway since you don’t have to be around people who want to bring you down - just enjoy what you like.

Most people have already touched on this. I think what makes Zelda Zelda is its delicate balance between light-hearted family friendly fun and darker more emotional themes. It can get exhausting if something is dark and dreary all the time, or too childish if it's always bright and cheerful. Life is both, and I think Zelda reflects that. That's why it's a series which spans generations, and why it keeps giving even after you've grown up.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I think Nintendo in general has always had this stigma of being for children because they have always had weaker hardware, cartoony graphics, and are more accessible. I think they can be enjoyed by anyone despite age or background. I kind of compare it to how there’s a bunch of “Disney adults” because Disney is (somewhat) really good at being family friendly but also appealing to adults.

Also don’t understand your RDR2 comparison because Zelda is generally rated E (I think TP is the only T rated one) and RDR2 is rated M so they are obviously trying to appeal to different markets.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
they're both for everyone, just zelda skews slightly older for kids (hence a lot of notable games being E10+) but obviously adults can play them too

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Most people have already touched on this. I think what makes Zelda Zelda is its delicate balance between light-hearted family friendly fun and darker more emotional themes. It can get exhausting if something is dark and dreary all the time, or too childish if it's always bright and cheerful. Life is both, and I think Zelda reflects that. That's why it's a series which spans generations, and why it keeps giving even after you've grown up.
Indeed, Kokiri Forest balanced by Dark Temple, a right blend of light and dark. Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom