• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Partner Abilities Without Equipment?

Din Akera

Sniper
Something struck me the other day when playing OoT3D, how do Link's various partners throughout the series survive the environments Link enters? For example, Link obtains the Zora Tunic to breathe underwater and the Goron Tunic to withstand the heat of the Fire temple and crater. This equipments gives him the ability to survive in the situation, but what about his partners?

Navi and Tatl follow Link underwater for extended periods of time with no measurable means of survival. Navi follows Link through the crater and fire temple without burning up. Midna does the same, but I think we can write that one off in that she is a shadow for those portions of the game. So my question is, how is this possible? Are fairies invincible to heat and don't need to breathe? It strikes me that Navi can speak underwater.

I realize that most of you will say "Cause it is a game mechanic, don't over analyze it." But isn't that why we are here at ZD? To talk about things surrounding Zelda just because we like to, not because we need to come to the correct answer.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Cause it is a game mechanic, don't over analyze it. :lol:

Honestly though, I think that either the developers didn't care too much to thoroughly explain Navi, or fairies are just borderline invincible to the elements (except Darkness). I mean, I wouldn't expect for any kind of tunic to be 'needed' to be placed on Navi. If there is though, it could be something like 'the magic is passed on', so if Link has the ability to survive underwater, Navi/Tatl would be able to as well.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I've always simply assumed that fairies, being almost purely magical in their existence, could survive a large variety of environments and stresses. Given that most fairies possess healing abilities, perhaps that also extends onto themselves where they can encounter stresses that cannot harm them because they can heal themselves? Or maybe, like how Kokiri are protected by the Great Deku Tree, fairies are protected by the Great Fairies or Fairy Queen and are in a way immortal.

For non-fairy partners, Midna hides in Link's shadow, and several of his partners have been spirits, which being non-living in the proper sense, probably cannot be affected by the environment.

Or maybe fairies like Navi are special. She was specially chosen to guide Link after all.

I figure if faeries can survive in a stopped up jar breathing their own air for days on end, they can probably withstand heat and underwater situations as well.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have assumed that fairies are not quite physical beings in the first place. They are closer to a spiritual being that is somewhat tangible on the regular world around the Hylians. Therefore things that would effect the body of a regular Hylian would not effect the fairies at all because they are not quite physical enough to be harmed by heat or really require air for breathing. This fits with their role in mythology where fairies were actually a type of spiritual being who were not harmed by physical restraints. Many actually did do things like live within lakes but could wonder around in the air as well showing that they are not restricted as most normal beings in the world. There were a lot of things written about them describing their abilities hundreds of years ago.
These Siths or Fairies they call Sleagh Maith or the Good People...are said to be of middle nature between Man and Angel, as were Daemons thought to be of old; of intelligent fluidous Spirits, and light changeable bodies (lyke those called Astral) somewhat of the nature of a condensed cloud, and best seen in twilight. These bodies be so pliable through the sublety of Spirits that agitate them, that they can make them appear or disappear at pleasure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Characteristics
This works with the Fairies of Zelda since they seem to randomly appear and disappear in various locations. The fairies of OoT are not quite as physical nor do they seem to have humanoid bodies most of the time, although debated. The great fairies of MM could be broken down in to smaller parts and reassembled and that did not truly harm them either. Showing that they are possibly not physical at all but being made of magic or energy, something greater than a spirit that has the ability to interact with the physical world.

Navi makes a few strange hints about her more spiritual nature later in the game when she hears the voices of the spirits within the shadow temple.
I can hear the spirits whispering
in this room...
"Look for the eye of truth..."
That's what they are saying!

Midna I believe is in a similar position as a character that is less physical and more spiritual. So obstacles that would physically affect someone would not affect er as much or at all. It was already shown early in the game that Hylians caught within the twilight were transformed into spirits.
Twilight covered Hyrule like a shroud, and without light, the people became as spirits. Within the twilight, they live on, unaware that they have passed into spirit forms... All the people know now is fear... Fear of a nameless evil...
I do not see why the Twili species would not be any different to the Hylians at first under these effects. It was also said that the Twili eventually adapted to the twili realm.
"What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses. It was another world entirely... The antithesis of Hyrule, where the sun shines bright. Its denizens became shadows that could not mingle with the light. Eventually, most came to call it the Twilight Realm, and from it, none could return to the world of light..." — Midna
Midna stated that they become as shadows, much like how the Hylians became spirits. Midna several times in the game displays those shadow traits. From molding herself into Link's shadow in the day, to doing things like floating, and teleporting, she does not appear to be completely physical. They have a normal form but then do strange things like squash and stretch at times, Zant could coil his body around without hurting himself. It could also be possible that the Twili are more physical and normal in their own world but has much less presence while in the World of Light.
Did you forget? That beast is one of the light dwellers who oppressed our people. No matter how much you may desire otherwise, you will never be more than a shadow in their world. You cannot consort with their kind! But if we can make their world ours, Midna...light and darkness will meet at last. Our tribe will take back their realm...and sweet darkness will blot out this harsh light! And that, Midna, is why... I need you. Not just for me, but for all of our people... Lend me your power. " — Zant

It may be that Midna's physical presence was reduced even more when she was with Link to that of a shadow that could barely interact with the physical. If that were the case then things like underwater environments and volcano heat would not affect her at all. She is largely formless when outside of the twilight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom