• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Out of Context: The Shackles of Freedom

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The mob suddenly halted and began to grow silent, starting with those in front who could see the man who stood before them. Others shifted nervously, unsure whether to make up for the sudden lack of rebellious spirit in the group ahead of them. "Is that Colin?" The shouting gave way to whispers which soon spread throughout the group. "Colin's come to stop us!" "We aren't going to have to kill him, are we?"

"Who are you?" Colin demanded again so all could hear.

"We're the Winds of Change!" one of them answered, followed by roaring agreement that sounded to Colin like he was in the path of a violent tornado. Slowly, Colin approached the tornado. It had stopped for him; it would listen to what he had to say. He might even be able to dissuade it from exerting its destructive force on the Temple of Time and not get killed in the process.

As he approached, some of the crowd mimicked his slow pace, advancing toward both Colin and their destination, still cheering and howling. Others unwillingly took a step or two backward, intimidated by Colin's conviction. The crowd parted as Colin entered in search of the man who had answered him. He had recognized the voice, and soon found him near the front of the mob. Colin locked his eyes on the man, and the rest stepped back to leave the two in the center of a small ring. "Who are you?" This time the question was directed at just the one man.

"The Winds of Change" he repeated, "--but you know me, I'm--"

"Kurt, maker of lantern oil." Colin finished for him. "You did a fine job with these torches. Are you prepared for the responsibility of what other people use them for?" It was a tactic that Colin had read about once: single them out as individuals so they can overcome the mob mentality.

The mob jeered. "You're just wasting our time!" "Let's go!"

"Damn right he's Kurt, and he has his own life that no one else but him can live!" The voice rose above the rest, as the man whom Colin had noted was likely leading the mob entered the ring.

This isn't how mobs are supposed to work, thought Colin. He should be shrugging me off and enraging the masses about their target. Making them think about their own lives is supposed to break up the harmony of their goal.

"And who are you?" The man indicated someone standing at the edge of the ring.

"I'm the one and only Mitomi!" he responded enthusiastically.

"And you?"

"Satoshi!"

He's mocking me. Is he in such control of the mob that he can make my own efforts betray me? A mob built on individuality...

"Who are you?" he roared, addressing the whole crowd. He answered with them, each person chanting his own name. The man's eyes met with Colin's and he grinned. These sheep are not free for you to take. I am your enemy.

"Onward to freedom!" he called above the chanting. "The Winds of Change will set us free!" More roaring, and the tornado continued on its way.

Colin regained his composure before the entire mob had passed him by, though they no longer made room for him and sometimes bumped shoulders violently. "Freedom from what? From what unbearable oppressor do you seek deliverance?"

A few people glanced back but were nudged back in line, urged to continue marching forward.

"None of you are prisoners or slaves. What are you running away from?"

"Away? Hah, we run toward a future where our lives are determined solely by how we live them!" "The curse of the Triforce has plagued our King and Kingdom long enough!" Generic cheers about the Triforce and the King joined in with the chanting of names.

Curse? They must mean the force of balance that's supposed to control the fates of the chosen ones. So this is about King Delta after all.

"So you think this will set Delta free? You think he'll deliver control of your fate unto yourselves?" The tornado grew weaker as many lowered their voices enough to hear Colin. They knew deep down that they couldn't trust Delta. Colin continued. "Delta couldn't have decided to be born in this era, or to be given his unfaltering courage -- none of us can control what we're given. But he did choose how to use his gift, and that's what mattered in the end. Not even the gods can command you to use your gifts as they please!"

The leader spoke up again, calling back from the front of the mob. "But in order to better ourselves, we must take what has not been given!"

"The gods limit us!" "They're thieves!" "Thieves!"

Pointing out the obvious irony in the crowd's response would be a futile move for which the leader would undoubtedly be prepared, so Colin instead continued his debate building from the leader's more profound statement. "If you can take, then you take. What motive is there that overwrites the autonomy of that? Personal gain? What of others, do you allow your selfish actions to hinder the betterment of others?"

"They're responsible for their own fates," replied one man over the ever fading but still lively sound of the tornado. "If they bring harm to themselves then it's their fault for being weak!" called another. "They need to try harder!" "Take more control over their lives!"

He's indoctrinated them well, for them to forget their human decency so easily, thought Colin. Very well, I'll add another cog to this mechanical nightmare they've been fed. "It's inevitable that the strong get what they want -- what they deserve, as determined by their free will. But don't you see? THAT's fate! You're letting your life be controlled by your desires. What good is free will if free will itself dominates your every action? This force is far crueler than the gods!"

The leader was visibly angered. "See him mock our actions, trying to weaken us at the mercy of the gods!" Colin could sense that some of the crowd might be pondering over who their master is, but the leader continued. "You don't have to stand there and let your fate be dictated to you by this weakling! Cast him aside, as a fly in our path to ridding this world of the gods' power!" At that moment, it appeared to Colin that the mob glistened, as if dozens of Skulltula threads were carried by the wind to briefly reflect the sunlight. At the same moment, each person's countenance transformed to match the intolerant disgust of the leader.

Several tools were raised against Colin as he resumed his speech. "True freedom is the ability to rebuke your free will and act despite yourself. If you can take, then you can choose whether to take or not. I challenge you to deny your will!" The light flashed again, and now Colin could see the web of tendrils entangling each member of the tornado, emanating from the leader. He was struck in the back before he could discern what the leader really was, and another blow from the side sent him to his knees.

"No, you're too weak to resist the urges of your false freedom. You blindly follow its will without even considering who you really are. Throw down the weapons of your master! This is the cruel oppressor which you must overcome! This is the god who holds the threads of your fate!" Colin pointed a resolute finger toward the leader, hoping for his life that the puppets beating him could see the monster that he really was.

My thoughts about your sporadic fan fiction-very interesting. While not as humorous as your previous out of context love story, this made for a significantly better read.

What I most enjoyed about the beginning of the piece was its varying descriptions of the mob, going so far as to fittingly describe the group as "winds of change". The section starts to lose traction, however, when you write, "It was a tactic that Colin had read about once: single them out as individuals so they can overcome the mob mentality". Show, don't tell. While the task may seem difficult within the constraints of the piece, I suggest you substitute the above fragment for a description of Kurt's nervousness at being singled out.

Given the calm demeanor I incessantly perceive you to wear, seeing the words "damn right" inserted took me aback completely. But then again, the writer always desires to maintain suspense throughout.

I don't have any sources or novels by me at the moment but I've regularly been taught to distinguish thought from dialogues by italicizing rather than using the word "thought" but as I mentioned earlier, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Your portrayal of the mob conjures an image of Wind Waker Ganondorf and his disdain for the deities. While your work focuses on a different game within the franchise entirely, I find the delusion a powerful comparison.

Great continuation of the tornado metaphor throughout, leaving the reader in suspense of whether or not the mob will blindly obey or civilly disobey much like people caught in a maelstrom are seldom certain of what fate awaits them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom