• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oscars 2016 Discussion Thread

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
A place to talk about this year's Oscars.
So, how about those minions announcing an Oscar award winner? I could understand Buzz and Woody, the two of them actually speaking and not gibberish, but honestly.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I've seen JonTron videos more interesting than some of these movies, no wonder why black people were so pissed. Also, where tf was Star Wars during all this? One would think a movie as prestigious as that one would win an award. Maybe it did, and I just missed it, oh well. Overall, though, it was pretty good. I loved Chris Rock doing the sketches and the Toy Story segment. I think Mad Max won like, 6 awards, too.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've seen JonTron videos more interesting than some of these movies, no wonder why black people were so pissed. Also, where tf was Star Wars during all this? One would think a movie as prestigious as that one would win an award. Maybe it did, and I just missed it, oh well. Overall, though, it was pretty good. I loved Chris Rock doing the sketches and the Toy Story segment. I think Mad Max won like, 6 awards, too.
Star Wars was nominated for five academy awards and won zero. Yeah.
Although R2, 3PO, and BB-8 made it on stage to honor John Williams. That's cool

This is the most I've agreed with the Oscar winners in a long time. The Oscars stick to their tradition of nominating a film dealing with real life issues as Best Picture, but it was nice to see an Oscar finally go Leonardo DiCaprio's way (even though he ironically had many better performances) and Mad Max: Fury Road win big on sound and costume design.

Garo

Boy Wonder
- Don't care about Leo; Revenant is probably his worst, most insubstantial performance in years. Wolf of Wall Street features a far better Leo performance.

- Quite livid that Alejandro "don't call my film a genre film because the root of genre is generic and my film is not generic" Inarritu won Best Director over... literally any of the other nominees. But especially George Miller, whose direction of Mad Max Fury Road is almost inarguably the best of the year. The man's vision was crazy balls-to-the-wall mayhem and he actually made it happen. That's an accomplishment. I can't decide if this Inarritu win is more or less egregious than his win over Linklater for Boyhood last year, but here we are - Alejandro G. Inarritu is a twice-in-a-row Best Director while Linklater and Miller, two of the greatest living directors and directors of far more masterpieces individually than Inarritu, remain statueless.

- Spotlight eking out a Best Picture win makes me very happy. That film is a masterpiece. Sure, a Mad Max win would be great and meaningful as a bucking of Oscar trends, but Spotlight was the better movie, and by my vote the best of the eight nominees (though no Ex Machina nomination is a travesty; that was by far the best of 2015).

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Nothing overly surprising happened, I thought The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road were great films that deserved the awards they got. Really I can't complain about anything.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The only award I felt was actually deserved was Best Visual Effects for Ex Machina. I did think The Martian earned it too. But the effects in Ex Machina were very impressive. Everything looked so real and I didn't once think I was looking at something CG.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I don't care about the Oscars or understand the amount of emotion that people give them, but I can say that it is about damn time Leonardo won an Oscar. He has been the best actor in Hollywood (imo) for over a decade now, and it's about time he won.

I admit I was not a fan at first, but he has won me over time and time and time again, starting with The Departed, probably. Maybe sooner than that, but definitely in that one.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Also, where tf was Star Wars during all this? One would think a movie as prestigious as that one would win an award.
Star Wars was nowhere to be seen because it was ****, an obvious muh diversity trap, and a ****ty retelling of Ep4. There are so many things wrong with ep7.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Star Wars was nowhere to be seen because it was ****, an obvious muh diversity trap, and a ****ty retelling of Ep4. There are so many things wrong with ep7.
It was actually a retelling of the Legacy series..... which was deliberately a retelling of episode 4. It was a very weak source material. they should have done something new instead of rehashing a rehash of something that shouldn't have been rehashed.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
No matter where you think the genesis of The Force Awakens came from, there's no denying that it ultimately succeeded more than it failed. Even if it wasn't totally original (Can things even be totally original anymore?), it clearly struck a chord with the audience and 9/10 times I hear about it it is something positive other than negative. Should it have won an Oscar? Maybe. That isn't what is important though. What is important I sz that people, in general, loved it; and I think that is worth celebrating on its own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom