• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Opinions On a Costume-Based Zelda

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
I had this idea, and I haven't given it a ton of thought so I know there's going to be plenty of flaws with it. However, I think it would be very interesting as well. Anyway, I will now proceed to explain this idea.

So in MM you know that a major part of the game is collecting masks. These masks give you different abilities to accomplish different tasks yadda yadda. My idea is similar to this, but different in the sense that you collect costumes rather than masks. The other day I was thinking, "Link always wears the same clothes, even if he changes into the Goron Tunic it's still the same, just red." Now obviously costume design is a huge part of the character of Link, but this wouldn't eliminate that original green tunic, it simply adds.

I'm probably being slightly confusing and vague, so I'll spell it out in plain. Imagine a Zelda game where Link collects different costumes/outfits to accommodate his quests. They would be used as a sort of disguise in some cases. For example, sneaking into an area such as Gerudo Valley/Fortress. Other costumes would be enchanted and possess some sort of magical power, like the Goron tunic. Now you're thinking this isn't a very original idea considering the existence of similar items already. Well it's not all that original, the game would just make a much larger focus on costumes and would make it easier to provide a more in depth story.

Like I said, this isn't very well thought through. I just want to hear your opinions.

NOTE: If you post on this thread, please check back because I WILL reply to you.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A much larger focus on Link's attire? Oh Lord, help me please! I never thought anyone would come up with the idea; I wanted to but I felt it'd be shot down instantly!

If you couldn't tell by the above, I am totally for having this costume-based Zelda game. Doesn't mean the only item in the game can be Link's clothes, but simply having a more diverse both looks and functionality wise would be amazing! I don't want to essentially tiedye my green Hero's Clothes like in Ocarina of Time, I want to wear totally new clothes like in Twilight Princess. And these things don't need to be limited to surviving in heat or being able to swim.

I'm thinking an upgraded Hero's Clothes would look physically lighter, therebyhh increasing Link's movement speed by 10% or so.
Maybe we could get a suit of chainmail, increasing our physical resistance by 50% but decreasing our fire resistance by 60% so we take more fire-based damage.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. This is a great idea on square one. Just needs to be fleshed out some more! ;)

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
I'm thinking an upgraded Hero's Clothes would look physically lighter, therebyhh increasing Link's movement speed by 10% or so.
Maybe we could get a suit of chainmail, increasing our physical resistance by 50% but decreasing our fire resistance by 60% so we take more fire-based damage.

I'm glad you agree, but I personally wouldn't want to take it to percentage based effects. That just makes it too much like Elder Scrolls or other games like that. I want to keep the effects basic but useful.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm glad you agree, but I personally wouldn't want to take it to percentage based effects. That just makes it too much like Elder Scrolls or other games like that. I want to keep the effects basic but useful.

All RPGs use percentages, and Zelda does too...to an extent. And if we don't use percentages, would we use hard numbers instead? That could be seen as a percentage anyway! ;)

Besides, Skyward Sword's upgrade system most likely would be making an appearance, and I don't see why not to use percentages (unless we would incorporate hard number stats??). We could have a Goron Tunic, and a Goron Tunic+ version that looks more (or less) appealling but is much more effective! :)

it kind of reminds me of FFX-2 with the constant dress switching during battle... of course it'd probably work better in Zelda games. Though the exmaples you gave could have easily have worked in MM with the masks, blending in with the gerudo's etc, in fact there was a mask in MM where you could do just that and they wouldnt notice you... But costumes have soemthing masks don't so a costume theme may work really well if it was implemented with enough ideas.

Even for the wiiU we could use the tablet to select different parts of the costume, maybe Link could hold more of one item in one costume or use certain weapons in others, perhaps they'd even have an effect on the terrain or even their own attacks.
People will stay say is an MM rip but there is a lot of mileage in this i think =]

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
All RPGs use percentages, and Zelda does too...to an extent. And if we don't use percentages, would we use hard numbers instead? That could be seen as a percentage anyway! ;)

Besides, Skyward Sword's upgrade system most likely would be making an appearance, and I don't see why not to use percentages (unless we would incorporate hard number stats??). We could have a Goron Tunic, and a Goron Tunic+ version that looks more (or less) appealling but is much more effective! :)

The attire doesn't need visible stats is my point. Like it would tell you what it does, but it would be simple like, "Gives you a resistance to fire but doesn't allow you to swim in water." Instead of like "Gives you a 90% fire resistance and a -20% tolerance for water."

Though the exmaples you gave could have easily have worked in MM with the masks, blending in with the gerudo's etc, in fact there was a mask in MM where you could do just that and they wouldnt notice you...

I know, that's why I used that example;)

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
This Idea has merit.
You want a system, similar to OoT, that isn't stat but ability based.
While that could work, It limits room for upgrading. The best you could do is add/remove benefits/restrictions to the outfit.

I think stat based equipment would allow for upgrading parts of the outfit more easily.
It allows for more stages of upgrades because you'd be improving things gradually.

What would we call a costume based Zelda though? TLoZ: Magic Wardrobe?

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
This Idea has merit.
You want a system, similar to OoT, that isn't stat but ability based.
While that could work, It limits room for upgrading. The best you could do is add/remove benefits/restrictions to the outfit.

I think stat based equipment would allow for upgrading parts of the outfit more easily.
It allows for more stages of upgrades because you'd be improving things gradually.

What would we call a costume based Zelda though? TLoZ: Magic Wardrobe?

Adding stats would totally change the Zelda feel. MM didn't give the masks stats, they just had abilities. You didn't have to wear them all the time, but you could if you so chose to. They were generally used only in one area but weren't totally limited to that region. Same would go for the attire. And you guys are talking about upgrading stuff, well again look at MM. Link's sword could be upgraded several times but it didn't lay out all the stats. Number stats just aren't necessary and would totally change the world of Zelda.

And as far as the name goes, you could introduce a new enemy/character like MM and call it "So and So's Gauntlet" or it could refer to Link's role like WW and call it something like "Prince of Illusion" (or "Hero" since Link technically isn't a prince. But maybe he is! It could go back to his origins and maybe his dad was a warrior or something. I'm just throwing out ideas.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom