• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oot vs. Oot Master Quest

dudenugget2000

ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ
I've yet to play Master Quest and wanted to know how it compares to the regular game in your opinions and if it's worth it for me to play. Did you like it more than regular Oot? Did you dislike it? Just wanna hear your feelings on it.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The game itself is the same, but the dungeons have all been completely redone with harder puzzles, more difficult enemies, and the double damage contributes to make it just an overall much harder version of the game. And if that isn't enough, the entire game is mirrored, so even though you've played through it once, it's almost like an entirely new experience.

Overall though, I like the original better. The MQ version is cool, but I don't really feel like it has a very high replay value. The original I can play over and over and not get tired of it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I find it very easy. I never had troubles with it at all. It's mirrored and there are some slight changes compared to OoT but I found it very easy. In fact I think sdome dungeons are even less tough in MQ. One example would be the Water Temple. It's a lot easier in MQ actually.

Master Quest won't feel like a new game; the dungeons for the most part are more difficult (different puzzles, different treasure locations, in some cases different enemies, etc.) If you're playing the 3DS remake then you'll also have to deal with double damage and a mirrored geography.

I haven't played it in a while but I'll give you a quick rundown of dungeons as best I can:

• The Deku Tree isn't much harder, it's still the first dungeon after all.
  • You progress through the rooms of Dodongo's cavern in a much different order than in the original game (you traverse the upper floor first), but difficulty-wise it isn't that much worse.
  • Jabu-Jabu's Belly is really weird; there are a lot of cows in there for some reason, but I don't remember really having any trouble with it.
  • The Forest Temple is significantly more difficult. There's a time block puzzle in one of the courtyard areas that gave me a ton of trouble.
  • I don't remember the changes made to the Fire Temple all that well. I know there's an Iron Knuckle in there somewhere in the MQ version, and that huge room on the third floor doesn't have any boulders rolling around anymore.
  • The Ice Cavern is a cakewalk.
  • The Water Temple is easier than it was in the original game. A green potion might not be a bad idea because you have to cast Din's Fire a lot.
  • The Bottom of the Well was the most frustrating part of the Master Quest for me. In the original game, it's pretty easy to just get in, grab the Lens of Truth, and get in out in 5-10 minutes without having to actually traverse the place. You can't do that in the Master Quest.
  • I remember the Shadow Temple as being barely any different. Nothing really noteworthy there.
  • The Gerudo Training Ground is a lot harder but it's optional so I wouldn't let it affect your decision.
  • The Spirit Temple is a good deal harder and this time it involves switching back to the child Link part a second time and then going back a fourth time as an adult. So there's that.
  • Ganon's Castle now employs a couple pretty ridiculous puzzles - things like having to achieve a certain camera angle to see a switch that's outside the rendering of the room or hitting a switch that happens to be inside a torch. Other than this however, it's not that bad.
My advice would be not to just play the Master Quest for the sake of doing it, because it's not going to be some brand-new experience, but the next time you're thinking of playing through Ocarina of Time, give the MQ version a try.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The game itself is the same, but the dungeons have all been completely redone with harder puzzles, more difficult enemies, and the double damage contributes to make it just an overall much harder version of the game. And if that isn't enough, the entire game is mirrored, so even though you've played through it once, it's almost like an entirely new experience.
that only applies to the 3ds version

I find most temples in Ocarina of Time regular more enjoyable than in master quest. For example, the water temple has a million stalfos in master quest, which is super frustrating. the forest temple, dodongo's cavern, and spirit temple are all significantly better than in the original, but the rest of the game is a bit of a disappointment.

OOT original is my favourite zelda game, but Master Quest would not be up there with it for me. MQ was enjoyable enough, but many of the dungeons had excessive use of those song of time blocks, which annoyed me a lot. Some difficult parts of the dungeons were difficult because they were ridiculous, like some tiny switch hidden somewhere in which you have to be meticulously observant, with no clues at all. Too much use of din's fire too, constantly draining one's magic. I find the original OOT an absolute breeze, but I found the MC way harder. I still dealt ok with it, but yes, definitely harder.

Rundown of MQ dungeons:
Deku Tree - MUCH harder. Though still not that difficult, but felt more like a proper dungeon than the ridiculously easy original.
Dodongo's Cavern - Much harder.
Jabu Jabu's Belly - Maybe slightly harder? Weird anyway, with the cows.,.
Forest Temole - Much harder.
Fire Temple - Much harder.
Ice Cavern - No difference in diffiulty, but it's just a mini-dungeon...
Water Temple - I disagree with the above poster on this - I found this water temple much harder! But then I never had any issues with the original so...
Well - No difference in difficulty for me.
Shadow Temple - The only regular dungeon in the game where I didn't notice much difference in difficulty. As a result, definitely the easiest of the 5 sage temples in MQ.
Gerudo Training Ground - MUCH harder.
Spirit Temple - SO MUCH HARDER.
Ganon's Castle - MUCH HARDER.

Overall, not too difficult, but definitely moreso than the original. But as I said, most of these difficulties were for silly reasons.

That's for the original MQ. So for the 3DS MQ, also add double damage and mirrored world, making the difficulty gap even bigger.

So for MQ, overall I enjoyed it, but I was really not a fan of the song of time block stuff. Too excessive and you had to stand in the EXACT right spot at times. There was a room in the Spirit Temple which had a particularly awful song of time block puzzle. Some challenges can be fun, but challenges where you have to play the song of time over and over again at the right exact position, full of tedious trial and error, is not fun. Having said all this though, the increased difficulty of the dungeons made them longer and kind of felt more epic because of it.

Last edited:
When you get used to the original Ocarina of time, master quest is a nice change. A lot of people are upset that Ocarina of Time is too easy, and master quest is definitely difficult from time to time (at least compared to the original game). Personally, I like it a lot, I'd encourage anyone who finishes the original game to play master quest.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I just got OoT Master Quest for my N64 so I might re-run the game even tho I just finished :p
Lol, I've seem these carts on EBay. Let us know how the game is, it seems like it would be difficult to rip out of a GC disc, downscale, and port for N64 hardware. I'm interested in if it's even playable.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Ha! Got me with a gibdo post!...I mean...I knew that. Just figured he might have been skulking around the forums...

But honestly, does anyone have personal experience with these Master Quest cartridges? If they play well, it might be worth looking in to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom