• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time One-phase Bosses in OoT?

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
This recently occurred to me while playing OoT 3D. In Tp, there were... 1? Or was it 2 bosses with one phase(Please excuse any errors, my mind is a bit foggy on the subject) Now, in OoT, think about this. This is a list of bosses with more than one phase.

Barinade
Phantom Ganon
Twinrova

Have I missed any? I don't really consider Gohma's floor attacks and ceiling attacks as two phases, since in my opinion, a phase is basically beat them up until they change tactics. I understand OoT couldn't hold nearly as much data as TP, but, have one-phasers(As I call them) become less common? I haven't played Wind Waker, so, if there are lots in there, tell me. But, even so, I think that a boss with two, even three phases is quite exciting, especially when it makes full use of the dungeon item(Like Morpheel). When I played Morpheel, I was thinking 'Boy, this is a fun boss. But, it's just a hole in the ground? Really?" Then, it switched phases, and I was like 'Woah, sweet! I'm fighting a giant armored eel about 100 times my size!" It was fun because you totally had to change your attack tactic. In OoT, i think this is what made Barinade, Phantom Ganon and Twinrova some of my favorite bosses.

So, thoughts, comments? Anything is welcome.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
well, Volvagia i guess had two phases. the two phases, as i call 'em, "the Whack-a-Mole phase" and the "Winged eel phase"

but, i agree with you. bosses that have more then one phase are just, in my opinion, better bosses. they make for great and iconic memories...

D

DrDo0MxPHD

i see ur guys's point, one phase bosses are better but two or more phased bosses are more challenging, which is what i like. no i dont see any new one phasers anymore, well if u play oblivion, some of the people u fight in the arena are one phasers, and the animals are one phased, but like archers in dat game switch to a sword if u get too close, and magicians change spells depending one situation.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i see ur guys's point, one phase bosses are better but two or more phased bosses are more challenging, which is what i like. no i dont see any new one phasers anymore, well if u play oblivion, some of the people u fight in the arena are one phasers, and the animals are one phased, but like archers in dat game switch to a sword if u get too close, and magicians change spells depending one situation.
BUt this is a ZELDA Community forum, not one for whoever/whatever series Oblivion's in... :P

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
BUt this is a ZELDA Community forum, not one for whoever/whatever series Oblivion's in... :P
Community; we support eachother. Meaning, don't bash on other people's non-Zelda interests.
Or even their Zelda interests. *cough*Axle+TP*cough*
Besides, The Elder Scrolls is an amazing series. Bethesda probably has the best, deep and inclusive RPG on their hands with that one.

That being said, Volvagia has two phases: One where his whack-a-mole is mostly harmless, and his attacks don't have a long duration, but then after you hurt him enough, his whack-a-moles can try to trick you, and he'll do more to try to hurt you from this part, and his fly-around-the-room attacks start to last longer at the same point.

But other than that one, you're right. There are only four multi-phasers (Barinade, Phantom Ganon, Volvagia, and Twinrova) not counting Ganondorf/Ganon at the end. Though I like it better like this, with a good mix of different strategies inter-dependent on eachother; so this way, in TP, you got used to "Okay half damage, change tactics. Not like I haven't seen this before." but for the first playthrough of OoT it's "Woah, Barinade totally switched it's attacks around! I'm going to have to look out for this, because not all the bosses are following the same pattern!" in not so many words.

Garo

Boy Wonder
The problem is that Barinade's phases are all essentially the same. Whack stuff with your boomerang and don't get hit by electricity. The final phase adds "whack him with your sword" into the mix, but it is all essentially the same. Phantom Ganon and Twinrova are wonderful examples of multi-phase bosses, however, as they have distinct tactics in each phase, and both require extensive use of the item you earn in their respective dungeons.

Multi-phase bosses are more memorable and more fun to fight on replay.

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
well, Volvagia i guess had two phases. the two phases, as i call 'em, "the Whack-a-Mole phase" and the "Winged eel phase"

Well, my opinion of a phase is a permanent change in a boss's tactics after certain amounts of damage. I'd consider them two different attacks.

As I said, I think Phantom Ganon and Twinrova were my favorite bosses. By contrast, in TP, Fyrus was one of my least favorites. I agree, though, a nice mix makes a really good game. In TP, it did feel a little boring after a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom