• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

One Major Thing They Need to Fix: Motivation in the Story.

I'm not saying there needs to be anything complex or heavy-handed: I love simplicity. Dragon Quest is one of my favorite gaming series, after all. But man, the whole idea of "collecting things" is seriously lazy as hell. I'd appreciate if they did something like.. simply following Zelda throughout the game, trying to find where she is. No other motive than that one. I mean, ok there could and should be a little more to it than that, but there needs to be a tangible reason to do things in a particular area other than "collect some medallion and then some more of them to unlock something."

I partially agree with you. Though, I'm sure some others would argue that collecting things [to some extent] is essential in the Zelda series, and action-adventure games in general.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what alternatives might you suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I love collecting things in Zelda. Like heart pieces and skulltulas and stuff. But I don't think any of that should be connected to the plot.

And honestly I have no ideas for an alternative myself, I just hope Nintendo has corrected this.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
So what you want it is a more detailed and varied way of doing things without the little distractions taking away from the overall plot?

I agree. Somewhat. Collection is a key part in the Zelda series, but when there's a ton of things to collect, it can get quite monotonous and boring. The story also lacks some motivation to keep going in certain places, which could be fixed, I guess. Though i'm not exactly sure how, as the story overview has not been released yet.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I'd rather the medallions, or this games equivalent actually made link stronger, or upgraded links sword.

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
You're referring to the famous "Collect the [insert number] magic [insert object]s to gain access to the final fight" formula, right? That's actually pretty common in fantasy stories from what I've seen. I've also seen some interesting uses of it that happen to give the chracater some more motivation than just going to collect objects because he/she is told to do so, like the life of a person who's close to him/her being at stake, for example.

As we don't really know how the story in Skyward Sword will end up developing, I guess it's better to just give it the benefit of the doubt. But from Nintendo's tendency of sticking to old traditions, I expect to see that formula to some degree. It would be nice if they didn't follow it too closely, though.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. We're already able to collect things in Temples, and outside. But that's enough motivation for me at least. So far as the numbers of objects go, we're already needing to go after those as well. There were four Boss Masks in MM, three Fused Shadows and four Mirror Shards in TP, plus all the items we collected after defeating the Miniboss. So...there are my thoughts on what you may be referring to.

Well, it seems like that isn't the case in SS, for now. Instead of collecting stuff, you're actually actively looking for Zelda.
The reason you enter all of these dungeons is because Zelda is in there, but she always gets away at the end. It's the same reason you meet Ghirahim at the end of the dungeons.
So it went from "Collect [number] of [object] to [trigger certain event]", to "Sorry Link, but your princess is in another castle!"

Obviously, time will be spent to make us care about Zelda and want to save her. We might even be treated to Link having some flashbacks of her.

Well, it seems like that isn't the case in SS, for now. Instead of collecting stuff, you're actually actively looking for Zelda.
The reason you enter all of these dungeons is because Zelda is in there, but she always gets away at the end. It's the same reason you meet Ghirahim at the end of the dungeons.
So it went from "Collect [number] of [object] to [trigger certain event]", to "Sorry Link, but your princess is in another castle!"

As long as Link gets more then cake at the end, I will be find with them doing this.

Since someone neg-repped me for my last post, I suppose I should clarify the frickin' obvious. Zelda is clearly developed before her abduction. In the preview videos, we can clearly see her in four scenes prior to it. And her abduction makes five. That's five scenes she's in, and the point of her being there is to develop her character enough for us to want to save her. From one of those scenes (the one right after Link wins the flight competition), we can tell that she's trusting, outgoing, and impulsive. And that's from one scene alone. We even get a hint that Link and her are more than friends, or want to be.

They took the time to make you care the last five times Zelda was abducted, why wouldn't they this time? I understand asking the question, but the answer is quite obvious. Nintendo has always taken an effort to make Zelda a highly developed character. Possibly to compensate for Princess Peach.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda is tangible...I think. Ghirahim is tangible, until I rip him to shreds at the final boss battle :xd:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the motivation will be placed in the damsel (Zelda) and defeating the villain (Ghirahim and the rest of the overlords of the world below if they even exist). I highly doubt we'll be on a collecting quest this time around, as it seems Skyward Sword is simply a chase for the girlfriend rather than a typical Hero Story.

Djinn

and Tonic
Collecting things has been a time honored method behind not only every Zelda game so far, but most fantasy games in general. There are normally something special and magical like keys, crystal shards, or some other magical plot inducing maguffin that the hero requires to save the kingdom or gain entry into the villain's castle. In fact this method of storytelling is a little bit older than the video game series that repeat it. It is common in fantasy storytelling in general. So I really see no problem with the concept since collecting items is another aspect of the exploration based gameplay that Zelda is so well known for. Even between dungeons it gives the player something else to do and accomplish. The series had had a large number of non collecting sidequests in the past, MM is a great example of that. It may jsut be that we have not seen any yet because various sources giving away previews have not focused on the story nearly as much as the gameplay. It is much easier to show off the features of a game in a two minute video displaying a quick item collecting and upgrade sequence than it is to show story. Even then there are more people who would consider it spoilers and not wish to see it before the game is released. So I would not expect to see as much at this point in time at all.

Also for a storytelling purpose, I believe Link in SS has a little bit more of a motivation than many of the Link's in past games. Link in LoZ only saved Hyrule because his sense of justice told him it was the right thing to do. That and he really had nothing else to do that day. In AoL he mostly wanted to get this strange triforce tattoo off his hand, and btw there is also a princess that has been cursed to sleep for a few centuries so it would be nice to save her while he was out. ALTTP Link rescued Zelda in the first mission, he really had no need to get himself involved in stopping Aganihm or going to the Dark World and making things right. It seemed to be more of a see things through to the end kind of situation. OoT Link had nightmares and left on his quest because it was a dying wish of the Deku Tree. In MM Link wanted his horse back and the Deku Mask taken off. The mask was removed within the first few minutes of gameplay but that still did not stop him from roaming all around Termina helping everyone he could while repeating the same three days over and over again.

The way things are looking now, it seems that Fi might be pushing Link towards not just saving Zelda, but the entire land below. Much like Link of WW only wanted to save his sister but the KoRL came along and took him on a quest to save all of Hyrule. The Link of TP only wished to rescue Ilia and the children but Midna had him agree to help her save her kingdom and stop Zant. Link in recent games is more manipulated into the greater quest by various NPCs, but it is still the right thing to do so we never really see him actually get annoyed or angry about it. He is still the hero after all, it would be more terrible if he did give up and go home if his personal interest in the quest was fulfilled. Even then, in most games Link is generally some kind of outsider that discovers the lands and people at the same time as the player. We slowly learn about the plight of the people that are under attack and become absorbed into the greater picture. ALTTP Link learns of the people suffering under Ganon in the Dark World, OoT Link sees the destruction caused by Ganondorf, WW Link learns of the actual fate of Hyrule and TP Link see's what Zant is doing to the people in the Light World first hand. He could not possibly quit after getting started in his quest becuase these threats are too big and would eventually engulf other people in other countries if they are not stopped now. We have already been told that Link of SS knows nothing of the world below. It might be a similar situation as Link discovering the Dark World, or seeing Hyrule covered in Twilight, he sees that the land below is suffering under some cruel villain and genuinely wishes to do something about it. Apart from just saving Zelda and returning home, that might be the motivation behind the first couple dungeons before he really learns the true story of the land below and why people are living in Skyloft today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom