• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

One for the 'Tales of' fans

Namco/Bandai's 'Tales of' series has endured for quite some time now. Its recognisable and rather unique compared to others.

Back when Symphonia released it championed a fun and unique battle system which has evolved well over time.

Ive not been a fan too long and being British means i can play about 8 of the 16 main games and ive made it a mission recently to play the ones available to me and ive enjoyed most of them.

I really like the characters too and how they play off of each other in most games.

But i know a lot of people who hate the battle system and have no patience for the series as RPG fans. In a time of XCX and FFXV style battle systems i cant realy fathom why people seem to hate the Tales battle systems. Theyre my favourite...

So, Tales fans, how do you feel about the series, how do you feel about the battle system, how does it compare to the likes of XC/X and FFXV (and 12/13).

Am i crazy and the only person to have Tales as her favourite RPG series? (I even play the freemium mobile game).

And if you do like Tales, which are your favourites?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've only played Tales of the Abyss. I had no idea there were 16 main games, holy cow. I found Abyss to be very fun, I liked the battle system a lot and the gameplay in general. What I didn't like was the missable sidequests, but that would be my only complaint. If I get the chance to try another Tales game, I might take it.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
I grew up in Nintendo. I had played other systems at friends houses and played games like Chrono Cross, FF9, etc... But I owned the Gamecube. So when Tales of Symphonia came and I got it I just dove in and fell in love with it. The story was great, teaching little me about acceptance and not judging others based upon what they are. I really felt for the characters.
But the battle system was like, revolutionary for myself. I did not really like turn-based battles. But when I got into battle in Symphonia it was amazing. I really felt like, hey this is a duel. I had to hack, slash, dodge, block and it mattered. It was not about waiting for some bar to fill up. It was live and in the now. You still ran into things like other RPG but it put you in that arena where it all went down. I loved it. I am a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia.

I played the wii sequel. Which was fun as well but nothing beats the gamecube Tales of Symphonia for me. Yep. Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite RPGs.

Shamo

Lord Kaiser.
When you said "The Tales" in the shoutbox I thought you were talking about a game with that name.

Anyways, on to the point.

How Do You Feel About The Series?
I enjoyed the game, even Dawn of the New World, I never once got bored with it or got irritated. Also, even watched the anime adaptation of Tales of Symphonia.

How Do You Feel About The Battle System?
To start out with, it's not the best, that's for sure but, as long as I enjoy the game, I could careless to be honest.

How Does It Compare To The Likes Of XC/X and FFXV (And 12/13)?
As in story? FFXV takes it.
System? 4-5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom