• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ode to Club Nintendo

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So Nintendo announced that they are shutting down Club Nintendo, what a shame. Here we should gather our well wishes and let's hope their new program -- whateve rit is -- is half as goo.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I was kind of hoping whatever they have in mind for a replacement would be more streamlined. Not dependent on surveys. Like a points system like usual, but one that automatically builds up depending on what you get from them. Physical games would still need codes, but digital would be automatic entirely. And have that be redeemable for eShop titles. I know they'll probably do something a bit more underwhelming though.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Today I got this email from Nintendo Australia:

Club Nintendo launched in Australia and New Zealand in 2008 with the launch of Mario Kart Wii, and Nintendo fans have enjoyed countless software titles across the years, with their feedback and opinions helping to shape our business.
header-divider.jpg

We're working hard to create a new membership programme, which we plan to launch later this year. As a special offer, users who sign up to the new programme during the launch period will be able to download Flipnote Studio 3D to a Nintendo 3DS system for free. Please stay tuned to the Nintendo Australia website for further details.

This new membership programme will replace Club Nintendo, so we will discontinue Club Nintendo according to the schedule given below. Thank you for all your support.

As Stars in your account will expire on September 30th 2015, please make sure you use them before this date. There are plenty of unique and exclusive items already available in the Stars Catalogue, and we'll keep adding more over the coming months, so there's plenty to spend your Stars on before September 30th 2015.
Please stay tuned for more information about the new membership programme, including its launch date.

Club Nintendo will also be discontinued Worldwide, to make way for the new loyalty program.

Club Nintendo was always rather small here, so I hope that whatever the new loyalty program is will be better.

Club Nintendo was only really good for downloadable games and a few select physical items, such as the Super Mario Galaxy and the Super Smash Bros. CDs.

The surveys were the most tedious part. Checking off the same tick boxes every time was a pain. The site felt catered to Nintendo's slow start with online on the Wii and DS. The new loyalty program needs to ditch surveys and adopt a more modern design. Having flexible costs for loyal consumers would be cool, too.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It really was too tedious. Rewards were limited in the last few years, and why couldn't they create an account to your 3Ds and Wii U, linked through your Nintendo Network ID and register games through the console itself. I hope that's what the new system will feature.

Hopefully the new system will do away with all the web based stuff. I think the way is to just have a WiiU and 3DS Club Nintendo channel. And the games you buy from the eShop are registered to the club as soon ad you download them. Physical discs will still probably need the codes to prevent the same disc being registered multiple times.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I never bothered with Club Nintendo. I don't feel like having another account to manage. Maybe I missed out on a lot of rewards, maybe I didn't.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Hopefully the new system will do away with all the web based stuff. I think the way is to just have a WiiU and 3DS Club Nintendo channel. And the games you buy from the eShop are registered to the club as soon ad you download them. Physical discs will still probably need the codes to prevent the same disc being registered multiple times.
This is exactly what I said yesterday in the other thread about this.

I was kind of hoping whatever they have in mind for a replacement would be more streamlined. Not dependent on surveys. Like a points system like usual, but one that automatically builds up depending on what you get from them. Physical games would still need codes, but digital would be automatic entirely. And have that be redeemable for eShop titles. I know they'll probably do something a bit more underwhelming though.
Something more seamless that is integrated into the systems would be way better than the website account there was before. A lot more people would use it and it might encourage people to use the eShop more. It could even encourage them to add even more eShop titles. Maybe they could offer GBA, SNES, or even N64 games as rewards.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The successor to Club Nintendo will surely use NNIDs as the log-in account, like the Nintendo Network Premium program, which is good. Hopefully they can make downloading digital rewards more seamless this way, by getting rid of download codes. However, I assume this would come at the cost of losing the ability to sell or trade unwanted digital content with other people.

I reckon surveys will still be a part of the new service, because the entire purpose of their reward system is to give members stuff for filling out questionnaires, not just buying their products; they already get your money for that.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Page 3 has just stopped in the UK too. No more naky ladies. And this announced just days after Club Nintendo is being shut down?!!

Someone put me on suicide watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom