• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Let me just put it out there....
Oddworld will be the best 2D puzzle platformer you will ever play.

I myself grew up with the two originals, Abe's Odyssey, and Abe's Exodus on the Playstation.
This game, and the whole Oddworld franchise, is a genuine masterpiece. Now that the company is now free of the plague that is Microsoft, they are now free to create new games that will do well.

The music is extremely unique, and innovative, especially for its time. Where the music supplements the environments in such convincing ways. Not only that, but the music will perfectly match sound effects you will hear, creating a grand masterpiece.

The overall themes of the game are quite exceptional. With quite a bit of charm, sadness, and humor. Along with a choice. The developers at Oddworld Inhabitants have an extremely sick sense of humor, but that completely fits the game.
The story is of a Mudokon, whose race have been turned into slave labor by a company called Rupture Farms. They are a meat processing facility, that have already driven species to extinction. Due to meat and animal shortages, they decided on a new type of meat. The Mudokons themselves. So overall, Abe's goal is to save all of his Mudokon coworkers. However... You don't need to do that. You can kill off all the mudokons you want, in a variety of terrible, gruesome, and hilarious ways. This is where this sense of humor comes in. It is hard to explain, but once you play the game, you will instantly get it.

This is not a simple "remake" as well. This is a complete remaster that changes the entire game. It adds new mechanics, fixes old problems, completely updates graphics, and adds loads of content. There are now 299 mudokons to save, which is the times the number in the original.

You can get this glorious game on PS4, PC, PS3, XBOne, and XB360. The Wii U version is coming very soon however. I would recommend the Wii U version. As they have fixed 2 key problems the other releases had. They fixed the bloom lighting. In the other versions besides PC, there is way too much bloom lighting that does not fit the atmosphere of New 'n' Tasty. It makes it more, bright and happy, and that clearly isn't the tone the game should go for. The Wii U version makes it a lot closer to the original Abe's Oddysee in terms of atmosphere, while still keeping impressive(and amazing) graphics and bloom lighting. The second is frame rate. Frame rate is a complete mess in the PS4, and XBOne version. The frame rate fluxuates all of the time. However, in the PC, PS3, and Wii U versions, the frame rate can be locked at 30FPS, This is important for such a precise game. I would also like you guys to buy the Wii U versions, so that we can see further Nintendo support from Oddworld.

Of course, here is a trailer for the Wii U version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6h9KI_2O6s
But really, play this glorious game. It is such a delight. Whether it is on Wii U, PS4, PC, PS3, XBOne, and 360, it is still bloody brilliant.

Dan

I'll have to give it a try at some point. My only real venture into the series is Munch's Oddysee which in terms of game play was pretty enjoyable. The wacky world itself is what mainly drawed me into the game. I briefly recall when I was at my first school, a friend of mine showed me the original game on his PS1, naturally we were young at the time so the main draw of the game was the fact you could enable Abe to fart. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom