• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
S

Standard Gamer

Majora's Mask will always beat Ocarina Of Time hands down.

I do not know why OOT has gotten this insane praise by the majority of the Zelda Fanbase. OOT was not epic in any way, the storyline was dull.

{Oh collect three spiritual stones, and collect some medaillons along the way just to awaken the six sages. And you get to turn into Adult Link, that did squat to make the game more interesting by the way.}

The gameplay and puzzles were pathetic. The foes you fought off against, where very basic and easy, the usage of items was unoriginal and dull, and the gameplay and puzzles were basicially average gaming, not up to real Zelda standards.

Majora's Mask brought something totally different to the Zelda series. It gave the characters a real sense of fear and horror to be crushed by a giant moon that was looming over Termina. The characters were more in depth and made the storyline more interesting.

Sure there were more temples in OOT then Majora's Mask, but the puzzles were way more in depth and way more creative then what OOT had to offer. The usage of items were very interesting.

The transformation masks were very interesting, and gave you something totally new to work with.

I know that there is more that should be said. One other thing, is that the main reason that people like OOT more than MM, was because the main Zelda Fanbase does not like totally different, they didn't like when the formula was switched for the better. They also didn't like that it was more difficult then most games in the series.

Kybyrian

The weapons in Ocarina of Time were unoriginal? Excuse me? Pfft, yeah right. Majora's Mask used about every weapon that Ocarina of Time did.

LOL, nobody even acted like the moon was going to fall, and you say they were scared?

The masks, yes of course. You pretty much had to get all of them to figure out which you needed. Because Majora's Mask never told you jack squat about what was coming next.

Formula switched for the better? None of the Zelda games after Ocarina of Time were too good in my opinion. They should have kept them like the Oracle Series, A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time. They're making them too gloomy, and what's even more different, the games are getting rated T for Teen instead of the standard E for Everyone. That's because Majora's Mask had that gloomy feel, and they wanted more violence because of that.

S

Standard Gamer

LOL, nobody even acted like the moon was going to fall, and you say they were scared?

You may not see it in the game, but wouldn't you think people would be terrifed if a giant moon would be crashing down on you.

The masks, yes of course. You pretty much had to get all of them to figure out which you needed. Because Majora's Mask never told you jack squat about what was coming next.

It's called doing some exploring in the overworld.

Formula switched for the better? None of the Zelda games after Ocarina of Time were too good in my opinion. They should have kept them like the Oracle Series, A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time. They're making them too gloomy, and what's even more different, the games are getting rated T for Teen instead of the standard E for Everyone. That's because Majora's Mask had that gloomy feel, and they wanted more violence because of that.

I didn't see Windwaker, Minish Cap or Twilight Princess to be that gloomy.

And wasn't the Minish Cap more like a Link To The Past {Or at least that's how I saw it.}

The only Zelda game so far that's been rated T by ESRB is Twilight Princess.

And besides, what's the problem with gloomy anyway?

Replies in quote.

Kybyrian

Yes, I would, but they didn't do jack squat to make them even seem like they know it was falling.

For what, 7 hours every dungeon?

Windwaker was too childish for me, I didn't finish Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess was terribly gloomy, dark, and all that. It just didn't have the Zelda game feel.

As I said, I've never beaten Minish Cap, so I'm not accusing it of being horrible.

And Majora's Mask provoked that.

It takes away the Zelda feel and gives it more of a DOOM feel. You feel kind of panicked, as if something's about to jump out and scare you to death.

S

Standard Gamer

Yes, I would, but they didn't do jack squat to make them even seem like they know it was falling.

I thought Kafei and Anju noticed the moon was falling pretty well after you received the Couple's Mask.

For what, 7 hours every dungeon?

There were still enemies to beat and puzzles to solve. And the side-quests were really well done.

Windwaker was too childish for me

Just because the graphics were cel-shaded, it does not make a game childish. The graphics in Windwaker were amazing.

Twilight Princess was terribly gloomy, dark, and all that. It just didn't have the Zelda game feel.

Twilight Princess was a stupid Zelda game. It had some Zelda feel to it, but it was seriously downgraded.

As I said, I've never beaten Minish Cap, so I'm not accusing it of being horrible.

Excellent

And Majora's Mask provoked that.

It takes away the Zelda feel and gives it more of a DOOM feel. You feel kind of panicked, as if something's about to jump out and scare you to death.

I don't see where that is an issue. Maybe because you don't seem to like serious change in your Zelda games.

Comments in quote.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I do think there were parts in Ocarina of Time that were pretty gloomy as well. The distored Hyrule Castle Market was creepy. The bottom of the well and shadow temple were gloomy as well.

However, I do think Majora's Mask had a even darker view than OOT. The whole game had that depressing feel, the world was coming to an end. It was shown especially as the third day closed in. The people of Clocktown were getting desperate, thinking about running away. Even the music was sounding more epicy.

Overal I think the games both have their pros and cons, and it truly is opinionated, have to keep that in mind. Ocarina of Time was extremely straight forward and for the most part, one temple led straight to the next one. That simply wasn't the case in Majora's Mask as there seemed to be an endless amount of sidequests and side stories going on.

Heck, they are both Zelda, love them both, but for different reasons. I still think Ocarina of Time is the better of the two, because I grew up with a Link to the Past and the familiar Hyrule land, Kakairko Village, and Ganon had a form of nostalgia.

S

Standard Gamer

I do think there were parts in Ocarina of Time that were pretty gloomy as well. The distored Hyrule Castle Market was creepy. The bottom of the well and shadow temple were gloomy as well.

However, I do think Majora's Mask had a even darker view than OOT. The whole game had that depressing feel, the world was coming to an end. It was shown especially as the third day closed in. The people of Clocktown were getting desperate, thinking about running away. Even the music was sounding more epicy.

Overal I think the games both have their pros and cons, and it truly is opinionated, have to keep that in mind. Ocarina of Time was extremely straight forward and for the most part, one temple led straight to the next one. That simply wasn't the case in Majora's Mask as there seemed to be an endless amount of sidequests and side stories going on.

Heck, they are both Zelda, love them both, but for different reasons. I still think Ocarina of Time is the better of the two, because I grew up with a Link to the Past and the familiar Hyrule land, Kakairko Village, and Ganon had a form of nostalgia.

Short story short, that makes a lot of sense.

The thing with what you said, is with people growing up with games like Alttp, and seeing the familiar Zelda Forumla that Alttp had, and with OOT having it to, it makes sense that with the form of nostalgia you'd side with OOT.

There is nothing wrong with that, and adding on to that is that most Zelda fans seem to have started with either Alttp or OOT, and would form some connection with those being their favourite games.

I think I actually started with either Alttp or OOT myself, but maybe we just see things another way in Video games. It all comes down to what you enjoy and how you look at the Zelda series.

Kybyrian

I do believe none of the sub-characters such as the people running around Termina did.

Side-quests that take forever to find.

It still looked a bit childish to me. That and Link on the sea is just.... I don't know. Just not the kind of thing I look for in Zelda.

I had a lot of fun playing both majoras mask and oot

i voted for oot thogh because it was the first zelda game ive ever played.

D

Deleted member 121

I much prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. There just so much more to do in Majora's mask. I can 100% Ocarina of Time in a day or two, but Majora's Mask takes me weeks even months to 100%. Majora's Mask may have lacked in story when compared to Ocarina of Time, yet Majora's Mask has a much higher replay value.

I only beat majora's mask twice for some people it is probably a better game, but it was extremely hard for me because I don't get to play very often and sometimes i'd come back to it like a few months later and end up having to redo half of it because i can't remember what i've done. And i hate having to lose a bunch of stuff by playing the song of time. other than that Majoras Mask is one of my favorites. I usually play ocarina of time though because no matter how long it's been, I can start pretty much exactly where i left off.

Mehplep

Simply awesome
Majora's Mask is way superior in one of my favourite elements in Zelda games: the side-quests. The main plot is always awesome of course, but the option of just take up another quest besides the big quest is one of my favourites in Zelda.

But then the big mistake in MM is, of course, the lenght of the main quest. Four temples, c'mon... MM is easily completed in a day, OoT takes at least five.

But, MM's main plot is just so... logic. The three-day-system is awesome, never felt anything greater in a game EVER. So MM get's my vote.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
One thing that I really liked about the 3day system in Majora's Mask, is that it was perfect time length. I consider myself more of a casual gamer than a hardcore one, so I rarely if ever play a game for more than say two hours straight. I don't remember exactly how fast the time went in Majora's Mask. I'm thinking it was 10 or 15 minutes for every 12hour time period. Thus, three days was either an hour or a hour and a half. (Can somebody confirm the time length for 3 days?)

Either way, I remember it not being unusually long or unusually short, thus it was perfect for one sitting, to go through the 3 day period.

Mehplep

Simply awesome
Yeah, good point there. One hour in-game is about one minute real-life, so it's just a bit more than a hour gameplay per threedaycycle. However, I didn't often use all three days, since I travel back to day one after every completed temple...

Yeah, good point there. One hour in-game is about one minute real-life, so it's just a bit more than a hour gameplay per threedaycycle. However, I didn't often use all three days, since I travel back to day one after every completed temple...

There are things to do after the completion of most if not all 4 levels for 100% completion. But MM is cool and let's you skip to the boss of a level you've beaten if you need to like, change winter to spring, or whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom