• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Link and Zelda are siblings?!

Twins?

• Yes, they are at least siblings, if not twins.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Some other relation (hear me out in the comments).

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Nope, no relation.

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That is... certainly a sentence. I don't think I've ever heard someone say that there's evidence for something right before saying there's no proof for the thing they're saying there's evidence for. I'm reasonably sure that a dictionary would tell you both words mean about the same thing.

That is... certainly a sentence. I don't think I've ever heard someone say that there's evidence for something right before saying there's no proof for the thing they're saying there's evidence for. I'm reasonably sure that a dictionary would tell you both words mean about the same thing.

ev·i·dence
/ˈevəd(ə)ns/
noun
noun: evidence
  1. the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

proof
/pro͞of/
noun
noun: proof; plural noun: proofs
  1. evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
The two are often used in similar context, but they are indeed different. Proof relies on evidence, and is a higher level of assuredness. Evidence only needs to work for the validity of an idea. Proof, on the other hand, can be used to establish a fact.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
ev·i·dence
/ˈevəd(ə)ns/
noun
noun: evidence
  1. the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

proof
/pro͞of/
noun
noun: proof; plural noun: proofs
  1. evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
The two are often used in similar context, but they are indeed different. Proof relies on evidence, and is a higher level of assuredness. Evidence only needs to work for the validity of an idea. Proof, on the other hand, can be used to establish a fact.
And there is neither evidence nor proof that Link and Zelda are siblings. No information in any game has ever suggested such a thing.

And there is neither evidence nor proof that Link and Zelda are siblings. No information in any game has ever suggested such a thing.
If the game literally stated as much, there would be proof. We don't have proof. We can agree with that.

But, ignoring that information exists, simply because you don't like the theory, is bad form. It's okay to accept that a theory has some validity while also stating there is not enough evidence, that the evidence is not strong enough, or even that you don't like the theory.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If the game literally stated as much, there would be proof. We don't have proof. We can agree with that.

But, ignoring that information exists, simply because you don't like the theory, is bad form. It's okay to accept that a theory has some validity while also stating there is not enough evidence, that the evidence is not strong enough, or even that you don't like the theory.
There should be proof when contending that the theory has any basis. The theory has no validity, because there is no evidence to support that any iteration of Link and Zelda are siblings. If her mother's absence is indicative of anything it's how Nintendo really doesn't like putting women in any position of authority in the Hylian monarchy.

(Also, it'd lend weird incest vibes to any nonexistent romance between them.)

There should be proof when contending that the theory has any basis. The theory has no validity, because there is no evidence to support that any iteration of Link and Zelda are siblings. If her mother's absence is indicative of anything it's how Nintendo really doesn't like putting women in any position of authority in the Hylian monarchy.
You should address each point that has been given in this thread, then tell us how each has nothing to do with the theory, and couldn't be used to support the theory. Then, I will entertain the idea that the theory has no support.

(Also, it'd lend weird incest vibes to any nonexistent romance between them.)
I agree, though that's not my main reason for not liking the theory. I primarily think the evidence is too weak, and that there are better alternate explanations for that evidence.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
You should address each point that has been given in this thread, then tell us how each has nothing to do with the theory, and couldn't be used to support the theory. Then, I will entertain the idea that the theory has no support.

I agree, though that's not my main reason for not liking the theory. I primarily think the evidence is too weak, and that there are better alternate explanations for that evidence.
There isn't any evidence. Why is Impa around? Because monarchs hired nurse maids to care for their inbred bloodlines and passed off the actual parenting to other people. There is no information about Link or Zelda's heritage to indicate any sort of familial connection.

That being said, let me amend myself: Link and Zelda being romantic after a family reveal would be very in character for monarchies. :eyes:

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

the information we have is that link's mother died when he was a baby and the queen of hyrule is unaccounted for, that's literally it, how are we jumping to conclusions that they're the same person?

There isn't any evidence. Why is Impa around? Because monarchs hired nurse maids to care for their inbred bloodlines and passed off the actual parenting to other people. There is no information about Link or Zelda's heritage to indicate any sort of familial connection.
Okay, so, you would rather ignore other people's points. Got it.

the information we have is that link's mother died when he was a baby and the queen of hyrule is unaccounted for, that's literally it, how are we jumping to conclusions that they're the same person?
There is more that has been stated. Don't cherry pick one fact that's been offered, then act like the whole theory hinges on that. In the origional post, I basically listed all the information I could find at the moment, then argued against that as a whole.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

There is more that has been stated. Don't cherry pick one fact that's been offered, then act like the whole theory hinges on that. In the origional post, I basically listed all the information I could find at the moment, then argued against that as a whole.
Again, what points? There is literally no evidence to suggest any sort of relation. No such relation is indicated or even hinted at either in game or in the manga.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

tf you mean cherrypick? that is ALL we know about them

Guinea

Basically Tingle
Well, funny enough, back in 1998 there was an interview with a few of the developers for OoT in a Japanese gaming magazine called Fujiawa. They were asked why Link wore green and they said they originally wanted it to be a "royal color" of sorts for the series, and that Zelda originally wore a green dress as well but they dropped it because to them, the Kokiri were more "in tune with nature instead of the castle" so they kept the tunic green for Link.

Also I just made all of that up.

Last edited:
I just came across this theory. It suggests that Link and Zelda, in Ocarina of Time are siblings, probably twins. The evidence I have collected so far is how similar their models are, their age, how Impa teaches Link songs that are only meant for the royal family, the composer brothers commenting on how similar the two are, both having profetic dreams, and Link's mother having a horse (suggesting at least a high class).

I do have some reservations about this. There wasn't even a whisper of a long lost royal child. Also, while I can see Link abnegating royal titles in search of the glory he quested for, the shade never mentioned any such connection. His death armor definitely doesn't look royal. And, if he never did find out, there are quite a few people who would absolutely know, but are keeping it a secret.
If you've ever read the Nintendo Power magazine in Germany, you know that there's some Nintendo Power comics where Link is born shortly before the Civil War that happens right before Ocarina of Time, and that his father is the Captain of the Royal Guard of the comic, in the comic it is obvious that Link's parents are extremely close to the royal family, but Link's Father gets killed within the war, and after entrusting Link to the Great Deku Tree the mother turns into a tree within Kokiri Forest. However it is never stated the Royal or noble status of Link's mother, within the comic. However the German comics does some wild and crazy stuff, so we should take this with a grain of salt. But it is something to point out.

Again, what points? There is literally no evidence to suggest any sort of relation. No such relation is indicated or even hinted at either in game or in the manga.
tf you mean cherrypick? that is ALL we know about them

Couldn't care to go back and read the thread? Here you go:

The evidence I have collected so far is how similar their models are, their age, how Impa teaches Link songs that are only meant for the royal family, the composer brothers commenting on how similar the two are, both having profetic dreams, and Link's mother having a horse (suggesting at least a high class).

Both are around the same age

Both have blond hair

And...

Where is the Queen of Hyrule in OOT? You only hear of the King. Seriously, where is the Queen? Could she be there, but just not mentioned? If she is alive, why is Impa her nursemaid? (And, What is Impa's job exactly?)
And, the level of class indicated by the mother's access to a horse (I'm not quoting the entire conversation for that one small point.)

There is a foundation here. I don't think it's a strong enough foundation, but the foundation is there.

------------------------------------------------

If you've ever read the Nintendo Power magazine in Germany, you know that there's some Nintendo Power comics where Link is born shortly before the Civil War that happens right before Ocarina of Time, and that his father is the Captain of the Royal Guard of the comic, in the comic it is obvious that Link's parents are extremely close to the royal family, but Link's Father gets killed within the war, and after entrusting Link to the Great Deku Tree the mother turns into a tree within Kokiri Forest. However it is never stated the Royal or noble status of Link's mother, within the comic. However the German comics does some wild and crazy stuff, so we should take this with a grain of salt. But it is something to point out.
I have not actually read that. I do like the idea that link is related to the knights, and it is a great fit for the evidence we do have from in game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom