• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time, How Would You Make It Better.

OoT is already an awesome game but I find that it sometimes leaves me wanting more if I could I would give it a larger map with more places to explore new enemies and possibly new temples, what would you do to make it even better?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ocarina of Time is probably my favorite Zelda game. That being said, I don't have many problems with it. The only thing I would really change is the Rupee system. Everything was basically for free, and I felt that was a mistake. Rupees just sat in Link's wallet collecting dust. The only time I really ever visited a shop was to get the Deku Shield in Kokiri Forest. Sure you had the Business Scrubs, but I rarely bought from them.

Other than that, I don't have that much I would change.

Fig

The Altruist
Truthfully, I can't say that I can't make it better as it is already a masterpiece, even without the 3DS remake. I do wish another Zelda game that is similar to Ocarina of Time to be made real soon. Yes, I know, Skyward Sword is pretty close to Ocarina of Time, I just didn't mention because I figured everyone would compare it to Ocarina of Time either way. :D

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Updated graphics (I'm talking WiiU level) is the only thing I can think of, maybe more dungeons and a slightly bigger Hyrule Field but really the game is mostly perfect the way it is.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
-Provide the hub portion of the overworld with legitimately entertaining things to doU
-Use the dash mechanic and Stamina Gauge from Skyward Sword (and accommodate the landscape for it)
-Make the economy system actually worth something
-Add more nooks and crannies to explore
-Make boss fights like King Dodongo and Twinrova worth my time
-Add in more minigames
-Have more story involvement and character interaction
-Make sure that no items wind up being useless like the Bombchus and Ice Arrows
-HD graphics

Other than that, the game's pretty much golden.

Last edited:
Well, when it comes to my favorite game ever, its a little harder for me to explain. Some people have two favorite games over all the others, I have six of them, between them, no one is better than the other to me, because I cant compare them and I just cant pick one, its like asking a father which of his kids is his favorite, it doesn't work well. Those six games are the last console Zelda from ALTTP to SS and taking out FSA, a game that is still high between my favorites, not begin the top doesn't mean it doesn't get my love.

Now moving on topic, OoT is one of those games, its a "great" game because I am lacking the words to truly describe it, perfect? no, I don't think there can be a perfect game since there are just too many kind of games to put everything in a single one who can rule them all. But while OoT could have never be perfect it doesn't mean it could not have been better.

If I had to look at someone to point out what could make OoT better, is its close "brother" MM. While there are many other things that OoT could learn from many games, MM is the better choice because of its close similarities in the gameplay and overall design. MM could learn from OoT, but what matters to us at this moment is what OoT could learn from MM, and that's the characteristics that make MM special, or some of them. MM created a world that felt alive, even if it was for only 3 days, there was a lot to do with every person you met, they had many things to say, they would talk about what its happening in the world, and they would interact with it and the other people.

Now we have better technology to do things that would have been (almost) impossible to do at the time OoT was released, and no, I am not talking about graphics, actually if I were to make OoT better, my last priority would be the graphics, (though the better graphics could make it better... or worst, who knows) what I am talking about are gameplay elements, for example, new ways to interact with the objects in the world or motion controls.

I am not going to mention things like making the story longer and/or adding 50 dungeons, we are talking about making OoT better, not just making any other game better than it, if we changed that kind of things, it would not be OoT anymore.

In resume, OoT could have been better if it had a world like MM had, with things to do everywhere and a world that feels alive, plus, adding gameplay elements thanks to better technology we have today.

Anyway, I think I would leave OoT as it is, I would miss it, if I were to change it I would better make a new game.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Enhanced graphics would be nice

Change up the wallet system

Add in more random time wasting stuff to do (like minigames)

be able to ride epona as child Link (im getting really sick of hearing HYAH HYAH HUP HYAH over and over again)

Tell the story better + have more story involved characters

Redesign a few places (Zora's domain + Lost woods, maybe death mountain)

That'd be nice :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
HD Graphics
URA Zelda content
Hidden Skills (since, spoiler alert, Hero's Shade is confirmed to be THE Hero of Time)
More post game stuff
Enemies with extra HP and more aggressive behaviors (as an extension of MQ)
Character Depth of MM (particularly with Saria)
Combat-centric minigames

All of this stuff would make the game better, but in my opinion OoT is already pretty much perfect. The experience is just too good for me, to really pay attention to anything particularly gripping (not that there IS any such thing :P ). So, this is more like expansion packs [aka not DLC] to an already complete game -- they're not to patch the game up but rather to give more extensions of its greatness.

I still would like there to be more to explore but we might get a game that is similar to OoT with the next Zelda game for 3DS but with better graphics similar to skyword sword or Twilight princess, but regardless OoT is and always will be awesome.

I still remember playing OoT for the first time when it was new and like seeing Unicron in the 1986 Transformers movie, OoT is something that still blows my mind because i remember the scale it had and it still feels big to me, it still feels like a full world and it still feels like a natural masterpiece as if it were one of those ideas and games just waiting for the technology to arrive.

I wouldn't change anything, i wouldnt add or take anything to the quest itself. Post game content might be nice like sound test mode, theatre mode and concept art. But we got the HH and Master Quest in the 3DS version so we really don't need to add anything to it post game now (it'll be nice if Nintendo gives us post game content for the next game, (come on nintendo dont make us get excited about things most budget games do without being asked to).

Anyway, OoT is good as is. =]

Mainly little things.

Fix the rupee system: as other people have mentioned, there's little to buy and so many rupees.
Reduce the effectiveness of fairies: in a lot of other Zelda games, fairies are free, easily found replacements for potions when you can't afford them, as they heal a lot fewer hearts. In this game, they heal all your hearts, obsoleting potions (apart from the magic potions, but you rarely run out of magic, too). This would probably help with the previous point.
An option towards the beginning to drastically reduce Navi's tutorials and Kaepora's dialogue, e.g. "Have you played this game before?"
Remove the boulders in front of Zora's River: considering the game does push you towards Death Mountain, a lot of players won't notice this. Zelda's Lullaby is a prereq for Zora's Domain anyway so it's not like the sequence breaking would be huge. On top of that, you can do Belly before DC anyway if you get the bombs and then run out.
Improve the aiming (although I guess the 3DS version already did this)

There's a lot of really little oddities too, like how as an adult your house is still considered your house (for example, the cow gets delivered to it) but the Kokiri have no idea who you are and do not bat an eyelid when your house gets a cow in it (I doubt any of them had even seen a cow before!).

well Spirit of Rutela I like your passion, but if nintendo had stuck to its original plan for OoT it wouldn't be the game we love today, which makes me glad they didn't, TCoZ you had some good points, such as some characters not being aware of small changes or events like the arrival of the cow at links house, the first time I played I expected the Kokiri to have noticed a cow being dropped off but got the same old responses instead, it was a little disappointing, that said OoT is still awesome.

F

Flynner102

It's too late to say this now but, If they remade it on the Wii it would of been better... And with the option to use a GC controller, I had OOT on 3DS, nerded it then sold my 3DS cause i hated it, But the graphics were beautiful on the 3DS, imagine what they would be like on the Wii? ...or wii u..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom