• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Story Mode in Super Smash Bros.

By far the best addition to Super Smash Bros. Brawl was the Subspace Emissary. It wasn't perfect, but it was a refreshing experience that added more single-player and co-op value to the game.

Now in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo is cutting out the story mode.

There are a number of reasons why Nintendo would do this and it would be understandable. They could be focusing on the gameplay or adding other game modes, but that's not the reason why.

The reason why Nintendo is removing a story mode from Super Smash Bros. is because they don't want the cutscenes being uploaded to the internet. And that's just ridiculous. Nowadays, just about every video game in existence has been uploaded to YouTube in its entirety. Not only that, but in comparison to other games, the Subspace Emissary cutscenes are really unimportant. When you have games like The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite having their endings spoiled within a day of them coming out, Nintendo's complaints are futile.

So now Nintendo isn't even going to try. They're giving up because of the few players who actually spoil the endings of games for themselves. And everyone who doesn't is being screwed over because now they can't play a story mode in the next Super Smash Bros. I think this is an incredibly lazy and ignorant move by Nintendo.

What do you think about this? Was the move justified or is Nintnedo just being ignorant of today's technology and worsening their game in the process?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't really care tbh...SSE was pretty boring. Still, there are people who enjoyed it...and it sounds like this game is going to have roughly the same amount of characters as SSBB. So what's your selling point Sakurai? Graphics? Why do we need this game?

Salem

SICK
I don't care too much about the story mode either, but I don't like his reasoning as to why there isn't a story mode. Asking him to include a story mode regardless isn't gonna help because it seems he made up his mind about it, I have a feeling they decided on that on the beginning, so if he bowed to pressure at the last minute, it's likely it isn't gonna be any good since it might be a rush job.

]it sounds like this game is going to have roughly the same amount of characters as SSBB. So what's your selling point Sakurai? Graphics? Why do we need this game?
Ahh, why do people buy sequels in the first place???? I don't get your point, "roughly" doesn't necessarily mean "less".

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
To be honest, since when do play Smash Bros. for the story? I will agree though, the reason they are removing it is stupid. Hopefully the move makes them focus more on the gameplay and different game modes. Unless they are just being incredibly lazy. I see the latter happening though.

For someone who enjoyed Melee's simple Adventure Mode over the Subspace Emissary, I don't mind the change. Story has never played an important role in fighting games. I'd rather have no plot than a convoluted one.

Although it's a bizarre move, watching cutscenes on the Internet is more convenient.

Big Octo

=^)
I've never really cared for a story mode in fighting games, and Subspace Emissary is no exception. I'm not too phazed by the fact that story mode will not be present in this installment of the series. I'd rather just focus on the actual fighting rather than go through some poorly done beat-em-up style story. Heck, the only reason I played through SSE was because it was the easiest way to unlock characters.

However, I will say that the reasoning that Sakurai has for doing such a thing is beyond foolish. People aren't breaking the law by uploading cutscenes, as I believe it falls under Fair Use. He and his development team can't do this with every game they make in the future either. Sorry Sakurai, but your reasoning is just beyond me.

It sucks,Subspace was awesome and I was expecting the Wii U game to improve it.Now I lost some of my hype for this game because of that.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I'm rather disappointed by the decision, but as long as they can fit in some more content (more events or whatever) to fill in, I guess it wouldn't be that bad. I also liked the quick way of getting all of the characters, so hopefully there will be a way to do that in the new SSB.

Fig

The Altruist
So now Nintendo isn't even going to try. They're giving up because of the few players who actually spoil the endings of games for themselves. And everyone who doesn't is being screwed over because now they can't play a story mode in the next Super Smash Bros. I think this is an incredibly lazy and ignorant move by Nintendo.

I don't even know where to begin with what you just said. Nintendo is not lazy for not adding cutscenes, in fact, they are pretty smart for doing that. First off you don't just simply state that Nintendo is lazy and ignorant for not adding a story mode. If you read the article correctly, Sakurai, the director of the Super Smash Bros. and Kirby franchises, stated
"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."
This makes a lot of sense considering the fact that there are gamers who only buy the game because of certain reasons, i.e. story mode, achievements, online play, etc. If saw cutscenes or gameplay on how does a certain game function on YouTube, I can easily just spend a few hours on the internet, understand everything available that the game(s) offers and simply say that now I know how the game works, I don't have to buy the game. Thus because of my decision, I would purchase the game, the game doesn't sell as anticipated, and the company loses money. I'm not saying that when I purchase a video game that the company really appreciates my money, but it does affect the sales to a degree. See, let's take the video game The Last of Us, beautiful game and amazing storyline. Let's say I never had the game in the first place and I told myself "Well, I wonder if anyone has a playthrough or video on the game." I later then finish the walkthrough/playthrough and decided that I do not have to buy the game because I know everything about the game because "I played it". This is what we like to call the "Free Rider Clause", and it happens a lot in interest groups and other specialized organizations that focus on certain objectives depending on the interest group. In this case, we have people who want to buy the game but later on decide not to because they have found gameplay and videos on the game and ultimately affect the video game business.

Now we get back to the reason of Sakurai's choice for not adding cutscenes or a story mode. Personally, I would agree with him if I was afraid that a game that I produced will not sell as anticipated because of leaks in the internet of the game's story mode or gameplay via YouTube. Remember that bill that the House of Representatives wanted to pass? Bill S.978 stated that
It is an amendment to US Code Title 18 Section 2319, that would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material for the purpose of "commercial advantage or personal financial gain", a felony (under current law, unauthorized streaming is only a misdemeanor). The penalty could include up to five years of prison-time. It defines illegal streaming as streaming ten or more times in a 180 day period. Furthermore, the value of the illegally streamed material would have to be greater than $2,500, or the licensing fees would have to be over $5,000.
With this in mind, the government wanted to eliminate the unauthorized mainstreaming of copyrighted material such as movies, but didn't want to affect those such as video games, TV shows, and music. With that said, I would not surprised if Sakurai chose to not have a story mode or cutscenes because of possible unauthorized mainstreaming of his game, much like Bill S.978 wanted to prevent.

Now I don't know why you care much about the story mode in the Super Smash Bros. franchise, as the franchise doesn't really focused on story mode in the first place. It would have been nice yes, but Sakurai says no, that's fine with me. But if Sakurai decided to make an Adventure Mode much like in Super Smash Bros. Melee, then I would really enjoy that instead of a story mode. I loved the Adventure Mode that Melee offered, and frankly, I really quite miss it. I really like to see the 20 things that are mentioned in Cubed3's website for the upcoming Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS! Links will be below this post and credit is given where credit is due. This now concludes my intake on the matter and as always, thanks for reading.

Articles and Links:
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/25/cutscene-uploads-cause-super-smash-bros-creator-to-drop-story-mode-.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_S.978

http://www.cubed3.com/news/19230/1/feature-20-ideas-for-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-customisation-online-adventure-dlc-counter-operative.html

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Ahh, why do people buy sequels in the first place???? I don't get your point, "roughly" doesn't necessarily mean "less".

I bought the sequels for more characters. At this point, the only reason I can see myself buying the new game is that the Wii has trouble playing SSBB and I'm sick of cleaning the inside.

Fig said:
I don't even know where to begin with what you just said. Nintendo is not lazy for not adding cutscenes, in fact, they are pretty smart for doing that. First off you don't just simply state that Nintendo is lazy and ignorant for not adding a story mode.

How is not developing a game to its full potential anything but lazy? They're making excuses to not put effort in. Nintendo is still putting cutscenes in all of their other games, so why not do it in Super Smash Bros.? Because they're being lazy.

With this in mind, the government wanted to eliminate the unauthorized mainstreaming of copyrighted material such as movies, but didn't want to affect those such as video games, TV shows, and music. With that said, I would not surprised if Sakurai chose to not have a story mode or cutscenes because of possible unauthorized mainstreaming of his game, much like Bill S.978 wanted to prevent.

How does a bill that didn't pass have anything to do with this?

Now I don't know why you care much about the story mode in the Super Smash Bros. franchise, as the franchise doesn't really focused on story mode in the first place. It would have been nice yes, but Sakurai says no, that's fine with me. But if Sakurai decided to make an Adventure Mode much like in Super Smash Bros. Melee, then I would really enjoy that instead of a story mode. I loved the Adventure Mode that Melee offered, and frankly, I really quite miss it. I really like to see the 20 things that are mentioned in Cubed3's website for the upcoming Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS! Links will be below this post and credit is given where credit is due. This now concludes my intake on the matter and as always, thanks for reading.

The Subspace Emissary was one of the biggest reasons why I enjoyed Brawl. Without a story mode, I may not even buy Super Smash Bros. because it has nothing new to offer worth $60. Ironic that Nintendo did this to "keep customers" and now they're losing customers because of it.

Salem

SICK
I bought the sequels for more characters. At this point, the only reason I can see myself buying the new game is that the Wii has trouble playing SSBB and I'm sick of cleaning the inside.
1-If anything, I doubt SSB4 is gonna have less characters than SSBB
2-Doesn't Nintendo fix that issue for free?
How is not developing a game to its full potential anything but lazy? They're making excuses to not put effort in. Nintendo is still putting cutscenes in all of their other games, so why not do it in Super Smash Bros.? Because they're being lazy.

The Subspace Emissary was one of the biggest reasons why I enjoyed Brawl. Without a story mode, I may not even buy Super Smash Bros. because it has nothing new to offer worth $60. Ironic that Nintendo did this to "keep customers" and now they're losing customers because of it.
I doubt removing one aspect of the game is lazy. This simply means they'll focus more on other aspects like the online multiplayer, characters, stages, event games, etc.

This is literally the most irritated I have ever been with Nintendo. Story mode was my favorite part of Brawl. I hope they AT LEAST give us something like the Adventure Mode in Melee. If not, I may just pass on buying this game. No single player value = No money from me.

DarkestLink

1-If anything, I doubt SSB4 is gonna have less characters than SSBB
2-Doesn't Nintendo fix that issue for free?

1) Will it have more? Will this increase be sufficient? I know we're getting new characters, but we're also losing characters. Unless the game is MUCH more balanced (and I doubt that's a priority), it'll basically be Brawl with slightly better graphics.

2) "fix it"? We they can clean the Wii, yeah...heck, even I can do that. But it's tedious to give it to them and dangerous to do yourself. And eventually they'll discontinue this service.

Melee offered 2x the characters, special melee, and adventure mode. Brawl offered 1.5x the characters, SSE, and stage customization. So far, Smash U offers...roughly the same amount of characters...and...better graphics...sorta.

Salem

SICK
1) Will it have more? Will this increase be sufficient? I know we're getting new characters, but we're also losing characters. Unless the game is MUCH more balanced (and I doubt that's a priority), it'll basically be Brawl with slightly better graphics.

2) "fix it"? We they can clean the Wii, yeah...heck, even I can do that. But it's tedious to give it to them and dangerous to do yourself. And eventually they'll discontinue this service.

Melee offered 2x the characters, special melee, and adventure mode. Brawl offered 1.5x the characters, SSE, and stage customization. So far, Smash U offers...roughly the same amount of characters...and...better graphics...sorta.
1-It's up to you wither it's worth it I guess.
2-No, they replaced the laser that reads the disk rather than just clean it, you see, some of the early Wiis had problems reading Dual-layered disks like SSBB, nintendo offered this service around the time SSBB was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom