• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm glad they're ditching the gamepad, it's bulky as **** and having a second light source beaming in your face is not a good thing. I mean, the gamepad is USEFUL in many applications but not during couch gameplay. not when you live on your own. if I could turn it off, that'd be nice, but yeah.

The switch is going to be awesome if they get a healthy stream of games. Wii U is literally Nintendo's worset console not counting the Virtual Failure.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I agree the gamepad was bulky, but so is the switch controller. No improvements on that front.
The Switch controller isn't bulky at all. It is way more slim and sleek than the Gamepad, plus, the main control scheme for the game is a regular controller as well. Even on the go, using the Pro Controller or the Switch Grip is 100% feasible. So unlike the Wii U, a non super bulky controller is available to use on 100% of the games.

Have you looked at the videos? It looks like an original xbox controller, the analog sticks are so far apart, it clearly is designed to be split in two equal parts and that takes a lot of real state. Not saying the gamepad is better, but none of them is ideal for me.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
To me the best controller is the Wii U Pro. That's the best controller ever, IMO. What I like most about it is that the analog sticks are on the same level and are up higher on the controller. The DualShock is okay, but I don't like that the analog sticks are at the bottom end of the controller. The Xbox 360/XBO (dunno if it has a "cool" name like the DualShock) controller is a close second to the Wii U's, but the Wii U Pro is the perfect controller, IMO.

I want to play all Switch games on a Wii U Pro. I want to play all video games from now on on a Wii U Pro.

To me the best controller is the Wii U Pro. That's the best controller ever, IMO. What I like most about it is that the analog sticks are on the same level and are up higher on the controller. The DualShock is okay, but I don't like that the analog sticks are at the bottom end of the controller. The Xbox 360/XBO (dunno if it has a "cool" name like the DualShock) controller is a close second to the Wii U's, but the Wii U Pro is the perfect controller, IMO.

I want to play all Switch games on a Wii U Pro. I want to play all video games from now on on a Wii U Pro.
I quite liked the Wii Classic controller also. That was pretty good. I will agree that the WiiU pro controller does work pretty well. No complaints from me about it.

My favourite Nintendo controllers are:
NES dogbone
SNES (EU/AUS version as it looks prettier with the colour)
Wii Classic (Not the pro version). Though the cable should have been on the top not the bottom. That was a weird decision.
WiiU Pro

http://www.vooks.net/first-nintendo-switch-event-australia-media-held-january-14th/
Nintendo Australia have just confirmed the date for the first hands on event for the Nintendo Switch in Australia. Like other regions in the world its the day after the January 13th event, which means it falls on a Saturday due to the time difference.

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/nintendo-switch
Can pre-order Switch accessories already in Australia.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Have you looked at the videos? It looks like an original xbox controller, the analog sticks are so far apart, it clearly is designed to be split in two equal parts and that takes a lot of real state. Not saying the gamepad is better, but none of them is ideal for me.
Then use the Switch Pro controller. Unlike the Wii U, the Pro Controller will be an option for every game that comes out for the system.

Aure, but thats not really what we were discussing. We were talking about what came in the box, both gamepad and the switch controller are bulky. And just like with the wii u, the fact that people even feel the need to buy a different controller right away is very telling, Nintendo doesnt listen, Nintendo doesnt care.

FrozenDragon

Relatively Quirky
I'm reeeally hyped for the Switch :3

I haven't been updated lately, but it seems it'll be a bit more powerful than the Wii U, though not reaching Xbox One levels, much less PS4 levels, which is fine given that it's a portable console (regardless of what Nintendo says that it's a home console, ultimately, it's a portable device) which also makes it the most powerful portable console so far.

I'm not exactly a fan of the Joy-Cons, and I won't really see myself using them at all unless it's for games with motion controls (according to either Emily Rogers or Laura Kate Dale, they have Wii Remote-like functionality). Though I see myself using the Switch as a portable device only, never docking it.

According to the previously mentioned ladies, it also has a multitouch touchscreen, but all games are required to be played both docked and undocked, so it won't be forced on the player.

I also like the Pro Controller's design, asymmetric :3

I have some pretty high hopes for it overall, especially if Nintendo focus on it exclusively after launch (the Wii U is pretty dead, and the 3DS is dying) so they could have all their first-party games on a single platform :D

Then use the Switch Pro controller. Unlike the Wii U, the Pro Controller will be an option for every game that comes out for the system.
I don't know about that. We know there's (supposedly) five ways to play Switch games.

iPad - Touch Style
WiiU - gamepad style
IR - Wiimote style
Solo joycons - The Wiimote used horizontally like a controller
Pro/Standard controller - Via the joycons with the puppy dog like attachment or the pro controller

There is a lot of scope for developers to make all different kinds of games that use all different types of controls methods.

but all games are required to be played both docked and undocked,:D

If this is the case, why even bother have a touch screen? because you can't touch screen and TV at the same time. This is assuming Nintendo want the base game (resolution and FPS aside) to be the same across the portable and the TV ways of playing the games. The only viable reason for a touch screen (I think) is so the touch screen can be used for some games. I am fully prepared for some games to be small screen only and possibly have touch screen elements. There is nothing wrong with this as the small screen is in every Switch console box.

Aure, but thats not really what we were discussing. We were talking about what came in the box, both gamepad and the switch controller are bulky. And just like with the wii u, the fact that people even feel the need to buy a different controller right away is very telling, Nintendo doesnt listen, Nintendo doesnt care.

The rumour is the more expensive Switch box will contain a pro controller as well. Not sure if that's true but it would be pretty amazing if so.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-switch-will-have-a-gamecube-virtual-console/

Gamecube VC is rumoured to be coming to the Switch. About time I think. But I don't think the WiiU was capable of it. The Switch totally is based on the reumoured Switch specs and what the Dolphin emulator requires.

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/806198457493024769/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Report: Nintendo Switch Dock Increases Performance, Not Via Extra Hardware

CzAxNmzXgAQTxi1.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-switchs-name-goal-with-the-announcement-trailer/

“We decided that this name would be the best fit for our product for two reasons. It represents one of the defining features of the Switch, the ability to seamlessly ‘switch’ between the TV screen and Switch’s screen, while also embodying the idea of being a ‘switch’ that will flip, and change the way people experience entertainment in their daily lives.”

“We wanted to show people just how much of an enjoyable difference it will make in their entertainment experiences, by having them see and hear for themselves what it can do in an easy-to-digest manner. It allows people to enjoy a home console experience not only in front of a TV, but in rooms with no TV, or outside altogether. And because the controllers are detachable from the main body of the console, each of its forms offer different play experiences for people to enjoy.”

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
If this GCVC is true:

Then you will be able to play NES, SNES, N64, and GC games. All on the go, and whenever, and wherever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom