• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/
199 pounds and 249 pounds price in the UK. The latter being with more internal storage and a packed in game.
Additional controllers are 39 pounds.

Well the price of the actual machine is similar to the Wii U's so it's not bad but the controller price is sodding stupid, i could get a new 3ds game for that price. Swear britain get's screwed on Game and console prices often.

Is there anything that would give you cause to hold of a purchase of a PS4 game in lieu of getting it on the Switch? Or are you pretty much sold on getting those games only on your PS4 (or XBO, if applicable)?

To me the whole ecosystem is very important, so i dont see myself buying a switch version of a multiplatform game. Not even on the ps4 for that matter, since my progress comes all the way from the 360. The xbox one has bc so for most franchise i prefer to play where it all began for me. I have the whole trilogy of mass effect on the xbox one, so naturally i will buy Andromeda on it too, if that makes sense. I will buy other consoles for exclusives.

To me the whole ecosystem is very important, so i dont see myself buying a switch version of a multiplatform game. Not even on the ps4 for that matter, since my progress comes all the way from the 360. The xbox one has bc so for most franchise i prefer to play where it all began for me. I have the whole trilogy of mass effect on the xbox one, so naturally i will buy Andromeda on it too, if that makes sense. I will buy other consoles for exclusives.
Most people will get the multiplatforms on the consoel of their choice. I just think Nintendo and the 3rd parties are hoping that Nintendo is the console of choice for many people.

You know what I want to see around February?
A Nintendo Direct. All about the 3rd party games. Nothing else shown there. Sure we'll know what they are because January 13 but re-sharing the information in a 3rd party only direct would be a great gesture to the 3rd parties and will show that Nintendo is totally on board with them.

https://www.nintendoprime.net/image-form-games-ceo-states-nintendo-switch-is-not-a-weak-ass-console/
“Everything about it (the 3DS) I love, except that from a developer standpoint it is so weak. You have to always consider the 3DS. We don’t scale down our games for the 3DS, rather we make the game for the 3DS and the HD versions in parallel. We always have to know that it’s going to work for the 3DS. That’s one of the things that is such a relief that it’s (the Switch) not a weak ass console. It’s going to be fine… it’s going to be good.“ – Brjann Sigurgeirsson

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

I can respect that. As much of p.o.s. of a console that the 360 was, it had a great interface, and Xbox Live was phenomenal. I've always thought the Nintendo Network should mirror what Live was (and, I expect, still is). That's the one thing that Nintendo really lacked: a dedicated online system across all platforms.

“Everything about it (the 3DS) I love, except that from a developer standpoint it is so weak. You have to always consider the 3DS. We don’t scale down our games for the 3DS, rather we make the game for the 3DS and the HD versions in parallel. We always have to know that it’s going to work for the 3DS. That’s one of the things that is such a relief that it’s (the Switch) not a weak ass console. It’s going to be fine… it’s going to be good.“ – Brjann Sigurgeirsson

Best news I've heard all day.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/11/18/new-nintendo-switch-report-coming-tomorrow/
Nintendo Switch report coming tomorrow. It looks to be all rumours. But we shall see if any new rumours will be shared.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/11/...s-on-switch-will-be-simple-due-to-tegra-chip/
NVIDIA CE thinks PS4, Xbox one and PC ports on Switch will be easy due to Tegra chip.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/sk...alks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

Here's an excerpt from the interview in the link.

What do you think of the Switch, Nintendo's newly announced console that is portable but also hooks up to your TV?
I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.

Was it a Nintendo game?
I mean the device itself. I think it's really smart what they're doing. We're definitely going to be supporting it. It's the first time we've done something on Nintendo. If you don't count the old NES stuff. Home Alone. Or Where's Waldo?

Can you really bring Skyrim with you on the go?
It's the same game on the TV and on the other screen.
[end excerpt]

The other screen? Sounds a lot like Skyrim on the Switch to me.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/801436878226341892
Gameseek UK Switch preorder price 199 pounds.

Last edited:

Tibari

Rinkuji
Joy Con will probably have motion control
Otherwise, how Just Dance could be on Switch?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Uh oh ... either someone misspoke or the Switch may have motion controls...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-could-be-a-game-changer-may-have-m/1100-6445671/

Eh ...
Motion controls in a system, doesn't mean that the games will be bad. Nor do they have to use them.

I can almost guarantee that Switch Motion controls will be in very limited titles that need motion controls(such as Just Dance 2017, or Skyward Sword HD), be just an option(such as optional gyro controls in BotW, Splatoon or in the Pikmin remake), and most of the time, they will not be used at all.

Tibari

Rinkuji
I would like to have a gyro function when the switch is in tablet mode, aiming with the Wii U Gamepad was great

Motion controls in a system, doesn't mean that the games will be bad. Nor do they have to use them.

I can almost guarantee that Switch Motion controls will be in very limited titles that need motion controls(such as Just Dance 2017, or Skyward Sword HD), be just an option(such as optional gyro controls in BotW, Splatoon or in the Pikmin remake), and most of the time, they will not be used at all.
The Smash Bros 4 remake for Switch has to have 5000 different ways to play it, just like Brawl before it.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...ngly-confirms-nintendo-switch-motion-controls

Looks like motion controls are here to stay. But as an option, not forced like in the Wii.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

I am actually not against motion controls. When properly implemented, the Wii controlled better than the X360 or the PS3. In fact, the biggest problem I had with the Wii is that true motion controls were not used after the Wii. In FPS games, Wii point-and-shoot controls were vastly superior to dual analog stick control.

The problem is that often motion controls were forced. Not everything needed motion controls (looking at you, Skyward Sword), but many things were still given motion controls, and forced controls are never fun, and often feel gimmicky.

I would like to have a gyro function when the switch is in tablet mode, aiming with the Wii U Gamepad was great

I actually felt that gyro controls on Splatoon were awful. I turned them off immediately after I was given the opportunity. Moving the tablet in front of your face like an idiot didn't have the same feeling as pointing with the Wii remote, it wasn't as accurate. I felt it was better implemented in Fatal Frame than Splatoon.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I am actually not against motion controls. When properly implemented, the Wii controlled better than the X360 or the PS3. In fact, the biggest problem I had with the Wii is that true motion controls were not used after the Wii. In FPS games, Wii point-and-shoot controls were vastly superior to dual analog stick control.

The problem is that often motion controls were forced. Not everything needed motion controls (looking at you, Skyward Sword), but many things were still given motion controls, and forced controls are never fun, and often feel gimmicky.
I could not agree with you more, and I think that forced motion controls will be a thing of the past.
This is because most games on the Switch must be made to be taken on the go. With motion controls, this is not ideal. Which is why forced motion will stay minimal, unless it is absolutely necessary, such as with Just Dance 2017, or a Skyward Sword remake.
I actually felt that gyro controls on Splatoon were awful. I turned them off immediately after I was given the opportunity. Moving the tablet in front of your face like an idiot didn't have the same feeling as pointing with the Wii remote, it wasn't as accurate. I felt it was better implemented in Fatal Frame than Splatoon.
Now... This. I don't get at all. You don't hold the gamepad in front of your face...... Actually, that is a rather terrible thing to do with Splatoon's motion controls... No. You keep the Gamepad on your lap, and slightly tilt it either up and down to aim...

No wonder you felt the gyro controls in Splatoon if you played it that way....

Today i was scrolling through the VC library of games, i hope the witch makes it a priority instead of being shoved aside as they did with the wii u. Can you imagine, playing SNES, N64 games on a better handheld screen.

Reddit rumour. Pretty big one. Info leaked from a Foxconn worker. If you don't know, Foxconn are the manufacturing company in China that make a lot of hardware like video game consoles, Apple hardware and other things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...r_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/

Dock
There's no advanced technology in the dock, it seems pretty cheap and light, feels really plastic, no extra power, it just a output; * 1x USB3.0, 1x hdmi, on the side 2xUSB2.0 on the dock; * There's no fan on the dock, but hole on the back of the dock to allow air absorbing then out from the console's top vent.

Console
Looking at the screen it looks like is 1080p multi-touch screen, according to the spec show up on the software test * Can see the 5x0.8cm heat sink from the vent on the 0.8cm width, 12cm L shape heat pipe, looks quite shabby but heat performance is really good, not too hot from the console, the software demo testing is millions of fish and running almost 8 days, there's no single frames drops *The screen is not very bright, speculated can't see clear from outdoor *Looking at the core, it's a 10x10 core, from the test, CPU 1785mhz, GPU 921mhz, EMC 1600mhz *Speculated CPU is arm A73 pascal, much powerful than X1, when tested it only shows ARM_V8 structure hence the speculation *Confirmed it's USB-C charging *Speculated the core is made by TSMC, but it doesn't have its logo on it, looking really good *Running thousands of fish software demo to make sure the system is running fine *Saw orange and blue controller *Heating fan noise is not loud *Power adapter is external *There's 4G console version, confirmed *Can be charged while playing *Battery 4310mA, 3.7 not changable *It's been testing over 11750min, it's all running stably and smoothly, not single frame drops using the software demo (fish) *Speculated 2x ram = 4GB *About 300g weight, thought it was 1000g or something and was pretty surprise it's 300g console only (excluding joycon etc), used digital scale to weigh

Joycon
There's 2 shoulder button on each joy-con, they are called SL, SR *It's very complex inside, apart from the motherboard in the console, screen, Joy-con is the most valuable in the whole system *The battery inside Joy-con is about 5cm x 2cm x 0.5cm *Very light, about 50g * (22 Nov update) Battery 525mA

Production
*Produced 2100 units per day in one line, the whole factory can produce 20000per day *Very good quality control, don't worry about the build quality *They shipped to Japan, and Australia recently

Devkit Version
A much powerful version, producing 2000x units for now *The core is 1x times bigger than the one above,200m㎡, looking it looks like 12x18 *2 extra ram, this version is 8GB *2x wifi, 1hdmi, 1x mini dp, 1x ethernet, 2x unidentified socket, 3x network led indicator, *Looks much more complex than the normal version, 6, 7 extra unidentified storage, different socket (22 Nov 2016 update) Confirmed it's a devkit, and Nintendo was coming to exam the devkit today *No dock for this version for now *Can be plugged into TV without docking, power is inside *Speculated provided the core is only include GPU, it would be even more powerful than PS4 pro *Screen is the same size as the normal one *It's much more powerful, but also much heavier, not feeling great in hand, speculated for 4K gaming *Haven't seen such a huge core, and it's 16nm + 100mm2 main core *There's no battery inside this version

[edit] When he says the demo is millions of fish. It's just that, millions of fish on the screen done in unity to test performance benchmarks and other things. Here's a video of it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoRY0Mi3kA&feature=youtu.be&t=696
Also be glad that the core CPU is being made/designed with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.

Also the console is light as going by this rumour. Taking a leaf out of the Apple always lighter and thinner book.
300g for the console (excluding Joycon).

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Now... This. I don't get at all. You don't hold the gamepad in front of your face...... Actually, that is a rather terrible thing to do with Splatoon's motion controls... No. You keep the Gamepad on your lap, and slightly tilt it either up and down to aim...

No wonder you felt the gyro controls in Splatoon if you played it that way....

Exaggeration to make a point. No, I didn't hold it in front of me, literally, but motion controls with the Wii controller were really good (as far as pointing, aiming) in comparison to the GamePad. Simply because you were actually pointing with a pointer, not a flat object in 3D space.

But no, I turned them off because the motion was inferior because it also took away some of the functionality of the analog sticks. It felt clunky and never natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom