• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Nintendo is not lying to us here. They were the ones who put out the list. It's official.
But you're free to feel as you wish.

All that list says is "Here are some names who have expressed interest in making games for Switch" It's not a binding contract.

I have an expressed interest in writing a fantasy novel. Been saying Ima write the next fantasy best seller for years ... still haven't written anything yet.

Now if Nintendo had shown us some new games being developed for Switch, be they exclusives or multiplatform titles, then great. Granted, I don't know yet if Nintendo hasn't shown any third party games for Switch other than Skyrim apparently (which is five years old now). Like I said, I haven't paid much attention yet.

All that list says is "Here are some names who have expressed interest in making games for Switch" It's not a binding contract.

I have an expressed interest in writing a fantasy novel. Been saying Ima write the next fantasy best seller for years ... still haven't written anything yet.

Now if Nintendo had shown us some new games being developed for Switch, be they exclusives or multiplatform titles, then great. Granted, I don't know yet if Nintendo hasn't shown any third party games for Switch other than Skyrim apparently (which is five years old now). Like I said, I haven't paid much attention yet.
Skyrim HD is relatively new. That's probably what we'll get. But you make good points. The reveal reailer didn't show off anything else 3rd party. I think that'll come but at the moment we don't know. Patience is our friend.

The official Switch site.
http://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-switch/

Nintendo is not lying to us here. They were the ones who put out the list. It's official.
But you're free to feel as you wish.

Mm nintendo had a similar list when the wiiu launched, it means nothing. Third party support starts with the design of the console, not a board with names. And developers didnt know what the thing was until recently, they were not part of the decision making process as they should be.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Touch screen on the portable part of the console?
In the scene where the guy is putting the screen in the dock for skyrim, you can see fingerprint smudges on the screen. Might indicate touch screen use or just general use of it. But no confirmation ad far as I know.

Last edited:

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
Overall I am extremely excited for this console.

The main thing for me is the fact that I'll be able to take it with me on the go. I like to play on the train during my commute to and from work, and if I've got some down time between work and whatever I'm doing that night - so this is definitely a big part of it for me. A few people have mentioned durability as an issue - I'm sure we'll get some pretty cases for it. Also, I'm not too concerned because I am obsessive about taking care of my consoles. I'm not a big multiplayer person because most of my friends don't really play video games, so I'm not worried about losing the joy-cons or anything either - honestly, I probably won't use the console that way at all.

I'm really excited to see what games are announced in the coming months - I have the Skyrim Remaster preordered for PS4 (I've never played Skyrim before) but now I'm wondering if I'd rather wait to get it for Switch. I read that Bethesda and 2K Sports each gave pretty much word for word the same response in reaction to their games being featured in the Switch reveal - that leads me to believe they were probably told to respond that way by Nintendo. I wouldn't read too far into Skyrim not being confirmed for the Switch yet - I definitely think it's coming. I mean, we know Mario is coming and probably Splatoon and Mario Kart in some form - but all that has been confirmed thus far is BOTW. Nintendo is going to take it's time to slowly reveal everything and drag everything out so that everyone is excited and talking about Switch. They have to because they're releasing it right after Christmas.

I think they've learned a lesson or two about marketing and third party support. And I think that this console (which I totally agree would have been a smash hit if it had been released in place of the Wii U) is the result of learning those lessons. What they are doing is positioning themselves to take on the PS4 and Xbox One while also preparing their company to stay relevant in the age of mobile gaming.

This console has tons of potential, and I'm so excited to learn more. But I wish it had just been called the NX.

MW7

Self-driving cars can't become mainstream soon enough so that everyone can play this on their commutes. This is a great concept for a console. It's almost shocking that no one came up with it before (that I know of).

I literally couldn't stop laughing after watching the trailer yesterday! After everyone speculating when and where Nintendo would reveal the NX, they drop a YouTube video. Only Nintendo.

I am so excited for this. I can play BotW on a portable device? Not to mention a hugely popular game like Skyrim finally coming to a Nintendo console. The Nintendo Switch is definitely a day one buy, unless I can pre-order it first.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Skyrim HD is relatively new.

And unfortunately they might not even get it since it isn't confirmed.

I hate to be negative, but the Wii U had a lot of promises made for 3rd party support too and...if I'm honest, I could see the Switch failling to achieve this for all the same reasons. As far as my expectations are going, I'm expecting to just get 1st party games and little else...and if I do get more, that's just a bonus. No room for disapointment this way. =P

Let me say that my hype level is 8.5/10. This console has huge appeal to me as I'm always out and about. I prefer home console Wii U games over 3DS but the 3DS portability was great. This is the best of both worlds so that's amazing. I'm excited for the mulitiple controller option as well. It seems Nintendo is learning from past mistakes as they advertisement clearly showed the goal of the system. There are a few reasons my hype isn't higher, the first simply being that the sky is the limit on hype. I'm a bit nervous about battery life but I'm sure it will be decent. I also am upset that there doesn't seem to be a touchscreen but if they have good enough games it will make up for that.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
@Viewtiful Ken
The tax season only matters for the US. There rest of the world is not affected by that. Regardess of the arguement that the US is possibly the largest single country market for the Switch, it's not as larger than every other country in the world in terms of possible Switch sales.

The March sales period was probably done to be out of the Christmas window, as Nintendo could not make that, and it most likely fits in well with Nintendo's financial year. Nintendo's financial year ends March 31. Having the NX on sale in March boots an otherwise dead quarter for the company.

America has single-handedly either matched or out-bought Nintendo consoles vs the rest of the world for at least a decade, but I reckon since ever. Even when it comes to portable consoles, something that Japan has been crazy for, you'd have to combine the entire world's(excluding Japan and USA) units bought to even match Japan's or America's sales figures. It's no coincidence that their brand new console is coming out when the US consumers have their most spending money.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
Interesting idea. I like the versatility of the Switch. It definitely is a handheld console hybrid, and seems to have a good bit of diversity on how you can play. I'm happy with the design. I'm not sold on it yet, but it looks promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom