• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Nintendo HANDHELDS vs TV CONSOLES

nintendo would keep?

• Handhelds

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • TV consoles

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • its an impossible choice...

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Monja Elisa

Hyrulean Princess
lets make this a topic.
What brought you to nintendo? which of the following did you like the most and do you actually buy from nintendo?
Sure, Zelda based too... but Im thinking general console... if the unlikely scenario came where nintendo had to quit making one of these two, and you got the final pick as to which they would quit... and which they would have to keep making... which would you..?

I personally have a Bias for TV consoles... and this was indeed what brought me to like nintendos games and consoles in the first place.... even tho I like handhelds too... <3

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Itbwas the original game boy and links awakening that introduced me to nintendo. I have owned every handheld console to date and only the snes and wii on tv consoles. Because of this i do lean more towards the handhelds

My family got a GameCube for Christmas in 2005 and I've always loved it. It depends on the day which I like more so the Switch is great for me!

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I really like both, but my first was N64 and I tend to like the games for the TV-consoles more, so I choose them. First handheld was a Gameboy Color, so it was not that long after my N64, but still...

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
I got an original brick GameBoy as a hand-me-down from an older cousin as my first gaming console ever. The N64 was my first home console. I've owned pretty much every Nintendo handheld and home console since. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two - so I'm glad that Nintendo is going to focus on a hybrid system. My only concern is that I've really enjoyed the character of certain handheld games that is a little different from home console games - I'm hoping that that character isn't lost.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
lets make this a topic.
What brought you to nintendo? which of the following did you like the most and do you actually buy from nintendo?
Sure, Zelda based too... but Im thinking general console... if the unlikely scenario came where nintendo had to quit making one of these two, and you got the final pick as to which they would quit... and which they would have to keep making... which would you..?

I personally have a Bias for TV consoles... and this was indeed what brought me to like nintendos games and consoles in the first place.... even tho I like handhelds too... <3

I'm not a big fan of handhelds as I dont tend to game on the go and generally the games are not up to the kind of experiences you can get on a TV screen. You can get some good ones to be sure but I like to sit down and really immerse myself in the world and experience. My favourite Nintendo games are all on home consoles or were originally: Twilight Princess, The Last Story, Majoras Mask, Ocarina of Time, Skywar...Haha I'm just messing with ya there. I know they wouldn't have been as good on any handheld that has come so far. So my vote goes to TV home consoles.

Last edited:

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I find that I don't play the handhelds as much but it does make it easier to play games on the go. I beat MM, Oot, and TFH on the 3ds. So it's just easier for me to use the DS. Especially because my siblings all want to use the consoles.

My aunt gifted my sister and I two game boy pockets: one red and one blue. I got the blue one. She also gave us each a copy of Super Mario Land 2. We thought that was the most fun game ever even if it was difficult. She became more of a Mario fan while I became more of a Zelda fan after I hit up my first Zelda game.

I like handhelds for the fact that they're portable. But consoles really have the more immersive experience.

Nintendo kept both and neither at the same time.

The words home and portable are both RIP. The Switch will fail unless Nintendo can get people to understand this fact.

Formost people it was the games that brought them to Nintendo.

Salem

SICK
I love Nintendo handhelds, I mean, I've been playing my 3DS more often than the Wii U, but I always wanted the option to play it on the big screen.

I would probably say handhelds. Mostly because they are where they usually thrive. That said, I have no preference over one or the other.

I grew up with an NES and an original Gameboy, so nostalgiawise, it's impossible to choose. Nintendo has always been about both and has always excelled at both. If I had to choose just one for them to continue making though, I'd go with handhelds. There has always been something extra special and charming about Nintendo handhelds in particular. I currently play my 3DS way more than my Wii U, and now that technology is becoming more powerful and smaller, it's totally possible to make extremely powerful handheld consoles (just look at the Switch). I like the direction its going. The lines between the two types of consoles are blurring. I think the Switch is the perfect hybrid and I'm pretty excited about it!

TV consoles. Handhelds are nice, but I don't play "on the go." If I'm not at home and relaxing, I'm out and doing things. If I'm doing things, I'm not playing video games. If I'm relaxing at home and want to play a game, console > handheld. Maybe if I had to ride a bus for an hour each day I'd change my mind, but as it stands, consoles win for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom