• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo E3 2016

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
If E3 dies off, Nintendo will not care. Nintendo already do gamescon (or whatever it's called in Germany) and Japan cons too. The do the EB games expo and Pax Mel in Australia. Also they have directs. If all that fails they could go the Nintendocon route. E3 have provisions for when E3 dies.

The other developers though, they might need to invest more in the other game cons or do their own version of a direct.

I think E3 will eventually go the way of Macworld. Apple pulled out of Macworld and as expected it died soon after. When the big 3 (Nintendo, Sony, MS) all pull out of E3 for verying reasons, E3 will not have enough too sustain itself as most of the games there are for the big 3 consoles, E3 will jsut collapse on itself. The big question is what will make Sony and MS see the light and leave E3?

I agree. I don't think Nintendo needs E3. Neither do the other two. They could each do their own events, and I really really love Nintendo Directs. Those have been a breath of fresh air for me. And as we said in the other thread, Nintendo could easily make a convention about themselves, and have it be extremely popular.

I don't want E3 to die off or anything, but I'm just no that into it these days. If they do something different, they can make a comeback, but the way it has been going the last few years, it's decidedly "meh".

I agree. I don't think Nintendo needs E3. Neither do the other two. They could each do their own events, and I really really love Nintendo Directs. Those have been a breath of fresh air for me. And as we said in the other thread, Nintendo could easily make a convention about themselves, and have it be extremely popular.

I don't want E3 to die off or anything, but I'm just no that into it these days. If they do something different, they can make a comeback, but the way it has been going the last few years, it's decidedly "meh".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I still enjoy E3 and think something like it is good for the media. But Nintendo doesn't need it.

That's because of the different focus. E3 is all about the new game releases and soon to be released game info. Everything else comes second.
Blizzcon (or Nintendocon / Sonycon / MSCon) are about the entertainment and the keynotes and the world championships. The game releases would come second. Important but not the maim focus. So it does not matter if you have a half baked game trailer cause you can fix it later and people will not care so much cause they are having so much fun everywhere else.

Can't do this at E3 cause the game releases are the main thing.

Also the directs are great cause they come when Nintendo has something good to show, not at a time frame forced by E3 where Nintendo might not be fully ready to some something.

To be honest, I don't think Sony or Microsoft see themselves as "needing" E3 either. They have big productions, true, but they are mainly held outside of E3 so that fans can be part of it.

That, IMO, is the biggest failing of E3: The exclusivity. While it was originally intended as a trade show for people in the business, the convention failed to see the moneymaking opportunity when it hit, instead turning it into a "you can't go there" thing. Now there are a variety of fan conventions opening up and largely replacing E3 because of this, and I suspect that like other "fan" conventions, the industry-type stuff where they discuss x or y new API or suchandsuch new game engine will eventually move to these conventions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom