• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nightstar's Zelda Timeline Theory

N

Nightstar

Nightstar Proudly Presents...
His Time For The Legend of Zelda
Original Zelda - Twilight Princess
===============================================================================
Nintendo have released 15 Zelda games yet, though not in the proper order. The "real" Zelda timeline has been a great big topic of conversation in the Zelda-fan world. I've read several theories, but before I try to make my own, let's sort out the facts. I'll do this game-by-game, so we start with the original The Legend of Zelda. I'll type out all the facts I think are, or can be, important.
I'll add more info on Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword later. All I know is that PH and ST happend after The Wind Waker.
I would also like to hear your comments over what I have. So leave a comment below or on my Forum page.
Here we go!
Thanks to a member, i-am-link, I habe fixed the timeline. The old one is still there and the new format is below it. I also added in what I think to be the placement of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are.

I will continue to update this. I want it to be 100% correct.
~ The Legend of Zelda ~
Before the game itself, hang on in the title screen saying "press start". A short screen appears. It says: "LONG AGO, GANON, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, STOLE THE TRIFORCE OF POWER. PRINCESS ZELDA OF HYRULE BROKE THE TRIFORCE OF WISDOM INTO EIGHT PIECES AND HID THEM FROM GANON BEFORE SHE WAS KIDNAPPED BY GANON'S MINIONS. LINK, YOU MUST FIND THE PIECES AND SAVE ZELDA..." Even though we don't know what all these things (Ganon, triforce, Zelda) are, we keep them in mind. As we play the game, you'll notice that there is oddly little happening besides Link cracking the dungeons. Some things I DO think that might matter are the following:
- Throughout the game, you are looking for pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom, which is indeed broken into pieces.
- In the end of the game, you defeat Ganon, and Ganon DIES!!!
~ Zelda II: The Adventure of Link ~
Again, take a look at the title screen before pressing start. It says that after Ganon was destroyed (killed), Zelda's nanny, Impa, tells Link someone put a sleeping spell on Zelda and it can only be broken with the "third Triforce" inside some palace. To get there, you need to put a crystal in six other palaces first. Link starts the adventure...
In the instruction booklet is a more detailed explanation of what happened since Link overthrew Ganon, but most of it is only important to the game itself, and so we will not look at that. We will loook at only those parts that are important for the Zelda timeline: the power that Ganon left behind was bringing Hyrule down (Hyrule is the land where most of the Zelda series take place), but in order for Ganon to return, Link must be sacrificed first. On Link's 16th birthday, a mark appears on the back of Link's hand.
Long ago, Hyrule was ruled by a king who used the Triforce to maintain order. When he died, his son could only inherit a part of the Triforce. He gets news of some magician that the King once told the prince's younger sister, Zelda, some information he didn't tell to anyone else. The prince questioned Zelda, but she said nothing, so the magician threatened to put Zelda to sleep eternally, but she held her tongue.
The prince didn't want his sister to sleep forever and tried to stop it, but he failed. The magician cast the spell on Zelda, who felt to sleep immediately, but he died of it as well. To make sure his tragedy would not be forgotten, he ordered that every girl born in the Royal Family should be named Zelda.
There is also a scroll in strange writing, saying whoever wrote it couldn't find anyone with the proper character to use the Triforce needed to wake Zelda, so he magiced Hyrule so that a crest would appear on the person's hand with the proper character, skills and age. It also tells where and how to find the last remaining Triforce, that of Courage. During the game, you travel through Hyrule, which consists mainly of two large islands. There are minions of Ganon's about, preparing for his resurrection, but that doesn't happen, as Link survives. You get the Triforce and save Zelda. Yay... Oh, and Ganon is, once again, DEAD...
~ A Link to the Past ~
This is where we begin with the real important facts. Here's the story:
A wizard called Agahnim has killed the king and his daughters except for one, Zelda, who is captured and next in line. Link saves him, collects three gems to get to the Master Sword. It is in a pedestal in the Lost Woods. Link takes the sword and slaughters Agahnim. It then appears that Ganon was the one responsible for Agahnim, so Link kills Ganon. This was a short summary of the game, but we take a look at some other things as well. In the title screen, again wait a while and read the following:
"Long ago, in the beautiful kingdom of Hyrule surrounded by mountains and forests... legend told of an omnipotent and omniscient Golden Power that resides in a hidden land. Many people aggresively sought to enter the hidden Golden Land... But no one ever returned. One day evil power began to flow from the Golden Land... So the king commanded seven wise men to seal the gate to the Land of the Golden Power." Now you see a picture of six large persons, one small, all in robes and wearing staffs (sages from OoT???). "That seal should have remained for all time... ... ...But, when these events were obscured by the mists of time and became legend..." A picture appears where the people conjure a strange tile in the floor. Next scene is in Hyrule Castle, where the king lives... "A mysterious wizard known as Agahnim came to Hyrule to release the seal. He eliminated the good king of Hyrule... Through evil magic, he began to make descendants of the seven wise men vanish, one after another." Now you see Agahnim making a girl vanish, "And the time of destiny for Princess Zelda is drawing near." So far for the intro.
The next thing I like to point out is that a woman in Kakariko Village (the main town of Hyrule) says that long ago, a prosperous people known as the Hylia inhabited this land.
This is as far as my knowledge goes.
~ Link's Awakening ~
In my opinion not really an important piece of the series, but let's look at it anyway. In the intro, you see Link on a raft, battling a storm, when it is hit by lighting. He wakes up on an island. At the end of the game, you learn that the entire island is just a dream of the Wind Fish and you're in it (don't ask me how). On a side note, in the Staff Roll, you see the Wind Fish flying in the sky. It looks like a whale. By listening to a Gossip Stone on the island saying "The Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither," I conclude that the Wind Fish is indeed a whale (whales are mammals, not fish).
~ Ocarina of Time ~
One of the most important, if not the most important to the timeline. Analysing the game will take some time, but hey, this file is becoming gigantically enormous anyway, so I'll do it anyway. I'll start with a combination of the instruction booklet, the movie you see when beginning a new game file, the events in the game itself and the knowledge you gain when playing the game.
A long, long time ago, (though NOT in a galaxy far away,) before life existed, three golden godesses came from the heavens to the shapeless lands of what was to become Hyrule. Din shaped the earth, Nayru gave the spirit of law and Farore created the lifeforms to uphold the law. The godesses departed from what now was Hyrule and all they left was a golden triangle, the Triforce, consisting of three pieces, the Triforce of Power, that of Courage and that of Wisdom. If anyone with a pure heart would touch the Triforce, It would nestle inside that person, granting him a lot of powers, and he would lead Hyrule into a golden age of prosperity. If the Triforce would be touched by someone with an evil heart, however, the Triforce would split up into three pieces. The person who touched it would get the part he would mostly desire. The other two parts would go to people chosen by fate.
Next thing recorded in history is just before Ocarina of Time takes place. A war is being waged in Hyrule of which nothing is really known (future Zelda game, perhaps?) except for a woman escaping it with her child, Link. She takes him to the Deku tree, a huge tree guarding the forest of Hyrule, and then dies. The Deku tree takes Link to be raised with the tribe that live with him, the Kokiri. The Kokiri are children who don't grow who are accompanied by a Fairy. Link, however, does not have a fairy, even though he and the rest of the Kokiri think he's a real Kokiri. How the war ends, we do not know, but when Link gets a fairy, the Deku Tree soon tells him Link is actually one of the Hylia, another of Hyrule's species, a mortal one. The Deku Tree also tells him that the Triforce is kept in a realm only accessible if you have some stuff, but an evil man from the desert is trying to get to it. Link sets out to stop that man. He soon meets Princess of Hyrule, Zelda, and they discover that the man from the desert, called Ganondorf, is swearing allegiance to the king. They think Ganondorf's up to no good, so they try to beat him to it. When Link has all the keys to the Triforce's realm (the Sacred Realm), he unlocks the door built by seven sages to guard the Sacred Realm and performs the final step, to pull the Master Sword out of a pedestal in the Temple of Time. But then something happens Link and Zelda had not foreseen. Link is too young to enter the Sacred Realm, so he is held for seven years. When he becomes conscious again, he is the Hero of Time, but he finds that the plan went horribly wrong.
Ganondorf had used the opened gate to enter the Sacred Realm and touch the Triforce. He then gets the Triforce of Power, but he wants it all. The Triforce of Wisdom goes to Zelda and that of Courage goes to Link. Ganondorf kidnaps Zelda and Link has to save her. Link gives Ganondorf some ***-whooping. The battle, however, is not over with Ganondorfs defeat. Ganondorf transforms into an ugly huge creature, Ganon, and battles Link again. Link gives Ganon some more whooping and Zelda (the "supreme sage") and the other six sages lock Ganondorf (who is Ganondorf again) in the Sacred Realm, but he still has his Triforce of Power. GANON IS STILL ALIVE!!!. In the Staff Roll, you see Link is being returned to his normal time, his fairy leaves him again and the final scene you see is Link standing in Hyrule Castle in front of Zelda.
Something else in the game is also imporant, and that is the presence of a horse, Epona, who becomes a good friend of Link's. Also note that some of the characters have names that are the same as the names of some of the towns from Zelda II: Adventure of Link.
~ Majora's Mask ~
This game almost certainly takes place after Ocarina of Time. The Instruction booklet says the following:
"In the land of Hyrule, there echoes a legend. A legend held dearly by the Royal Family that tells of a boy... A boy who, after battling evil and saving Hyrule, crept away from the land that had made him a legend... Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends..."
In the instruction booklet of The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition, it even says that Link travelled through time, fought Ganon, and got lost in the Lost Woods. The friend mentioned in the prologue is, I think, Navi the fairy. Four other arguments that Majora's Mask follows OoT are the following:
- The appearance are the appearance of Epona, the horse from OoT
- Link has a flashback to Zelda teaching him the Song of Time
- when you learn the Song of Storms, you REMEMBER it, as you also learned it in OoT
- After defeating Majora's Mask, the Skull Kid tells you you smell like a kid who taught him a song in the woods, and indeed, in OoT, you can learn Saria's Song to a Skull Kid in the Lost Woods.
For the rest, it appears, there aren't any real connections between MM and the rest of the Zelda series. Majora's Mask is just a "side-quest" game.
~ Oracle Series ~
I will treat this as a single game, even though it isn't. The two games can be played in any order and it won't matter for the timeline.
One day, Link is drawn to Hyrule Castle and enters it. He finds the Triforce and it says to him to accept their quest. Link is warped to a distant land (Holodrum or Labrynna) where he has to defeat some bad person (Onox or Veran). Now you have finished one of the games. Then Link finds out that Twinrova, two witches from OoT and MM, are trying to revive Ganon (yes, REVIVE, so Ganon is dead at the moment). Link finishes off the other bad person (Onox/Veran), but Twinrova are nearly ready to revive Ganon. Link slaughters Twinrova, but too late, Ganon is revived. Link slaughters him as well, because Ganon wasn't resurrected properly. At the end of the second Staff Roll, you see Link departing Holodrum/Labrynna on a raft.
~ The Wind Waker ~
This is the intro story:
"This is but one of the legends of which the people speak... Long ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden. It was a prosperous land blessed with green forests, tall mountains, and peace. But one day a man of great evil found the golden power and took it for himseld... With its strength at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom. But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand... ...a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere... Wielding the balde of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time. The boy's tale was passed down through generations until it bacame legend... But then...a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom. The great evil that all thought had been forever sealed away by the hero... ...once again crept forth from the depths of the earth, eager to resume its dark designs. The people believed that the Hero of Time would again come to save them. ...But the hero did not appear. Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the gods. In their last hour, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate. What became of that kingdom...? None remain who know. The memory of the kingdom vanished, but its legend survived on the wind's breath. On a certain island, it became customary to garb boys in green when they came of age. Clothed in the green of fields, they aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil. The elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend..."
It's clear that the prosperous land is Hyrule from Ocarina of Time, but now we know it is no more.
In the game itself, hundreds of years after Ocarina of Time, you play a boy who was born on that island that has that green garb customary. In fact, you get green clothes in the game, and your name is even Link (or it's supposed to be). The landscape of the game is a great sea with lots of islands. On your adventure, you discover Ganondorf is at large once more, with the Triforce of Power, and is trying to find the descendant of princess Zelda. You find Zelda, who has the Triforce of Wisdom, and hide her. Then you find the Master Sword to kill Ganondorf, but you also need the Triforce of Courage. You discover that it has been split into eight pieces and scattered across the sea floor. You also find out that the ancient land of Hyrule is still there, but it's under the sea in an enormous bubble of air. The king of Hyrule would rather sink it than give it to Ganon.
You get the Triforce of Courage and go under the sea to fight Ganondorf, who has found Zelda and captured her. Before you fight him, however, the three Triforce pieces (Power, Wisdom and Courage) become the Triforce again, and Ganondorf is about to touch it to make his wish come true, but then the King of Hyrule touches it first and wishes that Hyrule be flooded, and that happens.
Now you fight Ganondorf and kill him by putting your sacred Master Sword in his head and making him a statue. You and Zelda happily float to the surface and resume your lives. Last thing you see in the Staff Roll is Link on his boat, setting off from his home island.
~ Phantom Hourglass ~
I don't know much about this game. All that I know is that Link finds himself on another island.
~ Spirit Tracks ~
I also don't know much about this game. I got the following story information from Zelda Dungeon.
As the new day dawns, a young apprentice named Link makes his way to his train engineer certification ceremony at Hyrule Castle.
During the ceremony, the lovely Princess Zelda takes him aside and passes him a secret note with directions to her private quarters. Link slips past the guards to her room where Zelda tells him the terrible news that the spirit tracks are disappearing! The princess asks Link to help her evade the castle guards and take her to the Tower of Spirits to meet the wise woman Anjean.
The plucky pair make it to Link's train, but are apprehended en route by some rogue characters who attack Zelda and carry away her body! Luckily, her spirit manages to escape and she accompanies Link to the Tower where Anjean reveals the terrible truth that the Demon King is breaking free of his prison and may soon plague the land again.
Can Link find and restore the spirit tracks in time to stop this happening? Can he reconnect Zelda with her earthly body? Only time and true courage will tell...
~ Four Swords ~
I own this game because I have the GBA version of ALTTP I don't know anything except for the beginning prologue because I don't have a game link cable.
I you can, I would like you to send a forum me that has you facts and opinions over Four Swords. You will recieve credit for this.
Here is what I do know:
Long ago, a wind mage called Vaati was wreacking havoc in Hyrule, and a hero stepped forward, used the Four Sword to become four people, they joined forces and sealed Vaati away in the blade. In the present, Zelda senses the ancient seal is weakening. When Zelda and Link take a look, they find that Vaati has escaped and he takes Zelda prisoner to marry him. Link takes the Four Sword and splits into four Links. They set out for Vaati's Palace of Winds.
~ The Minish Cap ~
The instruction booklet says that a long time ago, evil spirits took over the land of Hyrule and began wreaking havoc. Then, the tiny Picori (the Minish) descended from the skies and gave a sword to the most courageous of men. That guy destroyed the evil spirits. The people began to worship the Picori. Every year, the people hold a festival in honor of the Picori. In that festival is a sword-fighting tournament. This year's winner is a stranger called Vaati, and he won with ease.
In the opening scene, you see that the ancient hero is someone looking a lot like Link, and that the blade he got from the Picori has been enshrined.During the game, Vaati turns out to be a Minish wind mage. By fixing the blade Vaati broke, and turning it into the Four Sword with four elements Link kicks Vaati's ***. He does that mainly because Vaati kidnapped his childhood friend, Zelda. Another important thing is the presence of the wind tribe, a tribe that long ago learned to master the power of the wind using magic. They departed from Hyrule and went to live in the clouds.

~ Four Swords Adventures ~
I like this game. The instruction booklet, again, is of importance:
Long ago, the wind mage Vaati kidnapped lots of beautiful girls and nobody could stop him. Then, a young traveller appeared. He drew his sword, split into four and kicked Vaati's arse. When he was one again, he locked Vaati away and sealed his prison with his sword. This place then became the Sanctuary of the Four Sword.
Ages after that, Vaati broke free and kidnapped princess Zelda of Hyrule. Link, one of Zelda's childhood friends, used the Four Sword to defeat Vaati again. Vaati was sealed away again. Peace returned to Hyrule. At least, that's what the people thought... During the prologue of the game, Zelda senses something is wrong with Vaati's seal. She and six maidens who guard the sanctuary open the portal to it. A dark form of Link jump out and draws in the seven girls, and then he goes back in. Link follows him to the Four Sword. Link draws out the Four Sword, turns into four Links and stupidly releases Vaati. In the game, you save the six maidens. You discover that Ganon is using Vaati to help him resurrect.
At the end of the game, you defeat Vaati and Ganon, (Zelda tells you that this Ganon was once a Gerudo called Ganondorf,) Ganon is locked away using the Four Sword and the Four Links turn into one again. One more important thing is that in the sanctuary of the Four Sword, there are four pillars with a gem-thing on top, the elements you gather in The Minish Cap.
Also notice that the people that live in the desert look quite a bit like the wind tribe from the Minish Cap.
~ Twilight Princess ~
Twilight Princess is about the adventure of an older teen (Link, surprisingly) living in the Ordon province of Hyrule, to save the land of Hyrule from the rulership of the Twilight ruler, Zant. The Twilight world is a parallel world to ours, with the Twili as the counterparts of the humans. Zant has conquered the Twilight world, and enslaved the Twili. He then moved to Hyrule, to cover that in twilight as well. The majority of the game's plot is irrelevant to the Zelda storyline, but not all of it.
In a certain flashback, we see several sages trying to banish Ganondorf to the world of Twilight through the only connection between the worlds, the Mirror of Twilight. However, Ganondorf still has the Triforce of Power, and manages to escape into the world of Twilight with no bonds and one of the Sages' weapons (a sword made of light), but with a big fat wound on his chest. It could be that this is a bastardisation of Link finishing Ganon off at the end of Ocarina of Time (you know, myths change as they are passed down from generation to generation), or any other game where Ganondorf is simply "locked away".
In the final battle at the end of Twilight Princess, Link drives the Master Sword through the wound in Ganondorf's Chest. Also notable is that during different phases of the final battle, Ganondorf transforms from monster form (Ganon) back into his human form (Ganondorf). What happens to Ganondorf next isn't shown or talked about, unfortunately.
It must be said that the person mostly involved in making the Zelda timeline at Nintendo, Eiji Aonuma, has said a lot of stuff about the timeline in different interviews. I will try to make something out of this...
Minish Cap comes first. After that comes FS. After that comes Ocarina of Time. Now I've got some explaining to do: at the end of OoT, Zelda sends Link back in time to before he set out to save Hyrule, and he goes off to Majora's Mask.
*********************The Minish Cap
*Hundreds of years--{*******|
************************Four Swords
****************************|
**********************__----+---__
*******************.-¯******|*****¯-_
******************/*********|********\
*****************| .-Young Link OoT-. |
*****************|/*********|********\|
*****************|**********|*********|
****3 months--{**|**********|*********|
*****************|**********|}7 years |
*************Majora's Mask**|*********|
*****************|****Adult Link OoT /
******************\********/¯\*****.'
*******************¯¯¯¯¯¯\| ¯¯¯¯¯
**************************|
Now, it's a matter of debate whether the Link from Majora's Mask has or has not gone through everything Young Link from Ocarina of Time has done. By sending Link back in time, Zelda created a copy of the events that took place before the point where Link is sent back to, but we don't know exactly whereto, or rather whento, Link was sent. I think he is sent back to just before he pulls out the Master Sword, as the Door of Time is opened, Link know Navi and Zelda, and Link has a shield on his back. Anyway, everything that follows is confirmed by Nintendo and comes after the Adult Link OoT or after Majora's Mask. After the Adult OoT, Ganondorf is locked in the Sacred Realm. After Majora's Mask, he isn't, but he is harmless because he doesn't have the Triforce of Power, because he never got into the Sacred Realm.
Because of the conspicuous lack of signs of Hyrule having been flooded before Twilight Princess, and there's quite a bunch of stuff in Twilight Princess that's simply Ocarina of Time stuff, only a couple of centuries later (the Temple of Time being one of them; it looks very much alike), I think it's safe to assume that Twilight Princess is between OoT and WW.
Hundreds of years-{*******|
*********************Twilight Princess
*******************The Wind Waker
*****Few Months-{*********|
******************Phantom Hourglass
One Hundred Years-{*******|
******************Spirit Tracks
*********************[FSA]&[ORCL]
*****************A Link to the Past
**********Same--/¯********|
**********Link--\_********|
********************Link's Awakening
****************The Legend of Zelda
******************The Adventure of Link
About the places marked with [ORCL] These places are the possible locations for the Oracle Series. Again, I'll explain:
At the start of the Oracles, Ganon is dead and the Triforce is united in Hyrule Castle. The Triforce is only united after A Link to the Past, the Wind Waker and Adventure of Link, but it's probably also united before Minish Cap until Ganondorf touches it in OoT, but it can't come in there, because Ganon doesn't exist before OoT...
About the places marked with [FSA] These places are the possible locations for Four Swords Adventures. Let me explain:
At the beginning of Four Swords Adventures, Ganon is either dead or locked away in the Sacred Realm. That means that it can only come after Adult Link Oot, Wind Waker, A Link to the past, Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link. It cannot come after OoT, however, as there is simply not enough time between OoT and TP to transform Hyrule and create a whole new legend, it's only a couple of decades. It can't come between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker either, because at the beginning of Wind Waker, Ganondorf is free, and at the end of Four Swords Adventures, Ganon is not free.
FSA can also not come directly after ALttP, as Link leaves after ALttP on his quest of LA. It can also not come directly after Legend of Zelda, as the instruction booklet says that Ganon remained dead in between LoZ and AoL.
GREAT BIG IMPORTANT NOTE: FSA cannot come anywhere after the Adult Ocarina of Time, because of the following:
When you (in FSA) find out about the Dekus worshipping someone, you learn that up til then, the people think that Ganondorf is not an evil person, so Four Swords Adventures cannot come after a game in which Ganondorf reveals himself as an evil guy. The only solution to our current problem of where to put FSA is to move all the games after Wind Waker (except perhaps the Oracles) to the timeline of Majora's Mask. Thus, we have:
*********************The Minish Cap
*Hundreds of years--{*******|
************************Four Swords
****************************|
**********************__----+---__
*******************.-¯******|*****¯-_
******************/*********|********\
*****************| .-Young Link OoT-. |
*****************|/*********|********\|
****3 months--{**|**********|*********|
*****************|**********|}7 years |
*************Majora's Mask**|*********|
*********************Twilight Princess
*******************The Wind Waker
*****Few Months-{*********|
******************Phantom Hourglass
One Hundred Years-{*******|
******************Spirit Tracks
*****************A Link to the Past
********************Link's Awakening
****************The Legend of Zelda
******************The Adventure of Link
New Format:
As requested by i-am-link.
********************************************Few Months
********************************************¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯
***********************************100s of years|1000 Years
***********************************¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯|¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯¯
******************/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\********/¯¯\**/¯¯\/¯¯\/¯¯\
TMC--FS--YL:OOT--<----7 Years--OL:OOT---TP--TWW--PH--SS--FSA&ORCL--ALTTP--LA--FSA&ORCL--TLOZ--TAOL--FSA&ORCL
******************\___MM___/****************************************\_____/**************\_____/
********************|*¯¯***********************************************|********************|
******************3 Months****************************************Same Link*************Same Link
Thus, we no have but one option as to where to put FSA, before A Link to the Past, because it can't come after it!
Thank you for reading. This has been Nightstar. Remember to visit my Forum page:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/member.php?12361-Nightstar
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Last edited by a moderator:

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
Could you put this in normal timeline format? Like this:

============= /--(game)--(game)--(game)...->
--(game)--(game)
============= \(game)--(game)/(game)...->

The way you put it is really hard to understand. Thanks.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
In the final battle at the end of Twilight Princess, Link drives the Master Sword through the wound in Ganondorf's Chest. Also notable is that during different phases of the final battle, Ganondorf transforms from monster form (Ganon) back into his human form (Ganondorf). What happens to Ganondorf next isn't shown or talked about, unfortunately.
Ganondorf has the MS shoved through his chest, as you said, and the ToP leaves him and Zant breaks his final lifeline. He's just as dead as he is after WW.
Minish Cap comes first. After that comes FS. After that comes Ocarina of Time.
FS and FSA share the same Link. The FSA manual describes FS-Link by name and reads as if he's continuing his adventure.

Speaking of Aonuma, his most recent comment on the timeline is that OoT is still first, until SS comes out. This and a few other interviews contradict what was said about "Four Swords Zelda."

Because of the conspicuous lack of signs of Hyrule having been flooded before Twilight Princess, and there's quite a bunch of stuff in Twilight Princess that's simply Ocarina of Time stuff, only a couple of centuries later (the Temple of Time being one of them; it looks very much alike), I think it's safe to assume that Twilight Princess is between OoT and WW.
Inserting a game, especially one that features Ganondorf and the Triforce, between OoT and WW directly contradicts WW's backstory. On the AT, Ganondorf was sealed in the SR, escaped, sealed by the flood, escaped, and WW happened. Aonuma has confirmed that TP happens parallel to WW, after the child events of OoT. He explains that Ganondorf's plan was found out, and the Sages attempted to put him to justice, but were forced to seal him in the TR instead. This never happened on the AT, because he was already in the SR.

Also, it's hard to tell by your diagrams, but do you have the timeline splitting and then merging?

At the beginning of Four Swords Adventures, Ganon is either dead or locked away in the Sacred Realm.
Ganondorf is a living Gerudo at the beginning of the game, and becomes Ganon when he takes the Trident of Power. There is no specific reference to a previously sealed or dead Ganon.

When you (in FSA) find out about the Dekus worshipping someone, you learn that up til then, the people think that Ganondorf is not an evil person, so Four Swords Adventures cannot come after a game in which Ganondorf reveals himself as an evil guy.
I don't remember that. I do remember a Gerudo telling you that he's been an evil person since his childhood. It doesn't even fit OoT Ganondorf at all.

I'd like to know more about that interesting structure you have around OoT and MM. The way you have it formatted makes it look like a triple-split timeline that merges after OoT, which doesn't make sense to me. Ignoring that structure for now, your timeline translated to the normal formatting convention would look like (as I understand it)

MC -- FS -- OoT/MM -- TP -- WW/PH -- ST -- FSA -- [OoX] -- LttP/LA -- [OoX] -- LoZ/AoL -- [OoX]

(we use "/" to denote games with the same Link) You can find this structure as well as the confirmed basic split timeline in Mr.Mosley's stickied timeline guide.

To fill in a few gaps:
PH takes place during Link and Tetra's search for a new Hyrule, and adjacent to WW's Great Sea. It's slightly unclear whether it is an actual location, or if it's in a dream, or how much time travel is involved (at the end, one of the crew members that were left behind says only ten minutes have passed), but there are many articles on the subject. Like MM and LA, it doesn't have too much bearing on the rest of the timeline. Neither Ganon, the Triforce, nor the Master Sword are mentioned.

ST is in a new land that Tetra founded and called Hyrule. It was inhabited previously, but the locals accepted her as their new leader. ST has a heavy focus on Light Force. Ganon/Triforce/MS are not mentioned here either.

FS is almost exactly what FSA describes in its backstory as far as I know (I haven't played it either). Vaati returns, kidnaps Zelda, Link saves her and seals Vaati back in the Four Sword. As I said earlier, the way this story is told in FSA implies that it happened not too long before FSA starts, with the same Link.

Overall, I like the way you summarized the important stories and highlighted the facts. Since you say you want to continue to update this, I'd suggest tying these facts more explicitly into your timeline. Also, do take a look at developer quotes as they can be very helpful. I see you do know about several, but it's always nice to read new ones. We have quite a few listed here.

Last edited:
N

Nightstar

Okay. I'm glad you gave me some (*cough cough* a lot of *cough cough*) information that I missed. But I fell like I kind of destroyed the Zelda Space Time Continuim here. So I think I'll take you information into consideration and use it and mine to form a new timeline theory. One that is hopefully better than this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom