• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda New to Zelda... Tell Me What to Do Next.

After years (okay, decades) of hearing how great the Zelda games are, but resisting, I decided a couple months ago I should probably play one. I did a little bit of internet research to try to find recommendations, and decided to play Ocarina of Time 3D, because I have a 3DS XL and wanted to play while on vacation (away from my consoles).

I was staying with my family in a cabin by the water for two weeks without much else to do but relax. I figured that would give me enough time. (Don't laugh too hard.) On the third day of vacation, when I got tired of playing Mario Kart DS and 7, I decided it was time to start Zelda. After a couple hours I realized two things: 1. I had no idea what I was doing, or even where to start, given that I had never played any Zelda game before; and 2. If I wanted any chance of finishing the game while on vacation, I had to look at a guide/walkthrough. I had no internet in my cabin by the water, nor any cell signal. But once every day or two we would make a trip 'into town' for groceries or whatever, and there I got a cell signal. I would load up a few chapters of the walkthrough from here (like this one) and save them to my iPhone's reading list so they could be read back at the cabin without a signal.

I finished through chapter 8 while on vacation. Once home, I didn't have nearly the same amount of time to play, but over the past several weeks I've nearly completed it. Using both the regular walkthrough and the video walkthrough for a few parts, I have only Ganon's Castle left.

So my question is, what should I do next, once OoT 3D is complete? Here are my options, based on what I already have:

A. Start over, doing OoT 3D again without any guide/walkthrough. I would not be trying for 100% with side quests, gold skulltulas, etc. The point would be just to complete the game without any assistance.
B. The Legend of Zelda, with or without a guide/walkthrough. (On Wii virtual console.)
C. A Link to the Past, with or without a guide/walkthrough. (On Wii virtual console.)
D. Wind Waker HD, with or without a guide/walkthrough. (Free game download on Wii U for registering Mario Kart 8.)

E. Something else that I don't already have, but could run on a Wii, Wii U, 3DS, or their virtual consoles. I'd prefer to pick something I already own (A-D above), but would consider something else if there's a compelling reason for it to be next.

Your opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Big Octo

=^)
You could also pick up A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. It's not too hard to complete and is a good introduction to 2D Zelda.

ALBW is a good game, but I'd start with an older game like Link's Awakening or Legend of Zelda or ALTTP, if you really want a Zelda game to keep you busy try the Oracle games, there's so much content packed in its phenomenal! Plus the original Zelda has a true second quest after you've beaten it, none of the boring reversed stuff on Ocarina, the dungeons are completely different and both them and the items are in different places both in the overworld map and the new dungeons. :D

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well since you have just played OoT, well the 3D one, I recommend you move on to its sequel, Majora's Mask. Gameplay is similar, locations are similar, charterers are similar, items are similar; however it's also vastly different at the same time which will blow your mind. You can pick up this game on the Virtual Console for quite cheap (slightly more expensive than AlttP though).

After MM I'd suggest playing Twilight Princess, which is sort of a sequel (albeit a good 500-1000 years after). It heavily relates to OoT, although in a revamped much improved fashion, which is the most expansive title to date. It also carries on the dark theme from MM.

After that I'd personally recommend Skyward Sword; however I'd say do whatever you want next. There is no set order. We all have to start somewhere and we all go on our own separate journey through the series. My biggest advice would be to not to think too much into it and just enjoy the experience.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
This is for the 2D games only (the 3D games can really be tackled in any order, imo). Really, what I recommend doing is work backwards. The original Zelda games use 80s adventure game concepts and demand that you inherently understand how they work (or learn through painful and frustrating trial and error). By playing the games essentially in reverse, you'll be given the tools to cope when you get there. I'm not sure how much you'll love jumping into the original game without a walkthrough. Or you can dive right in to whatever looks interesting. There's no shame in using a walkthrough if you need it.

ccc63789eb.jpg

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
You could play a couple games at a time, but if I were you I would not let that Wind Waker HD free download go to wast. The WW is an easer game compared to OoT in terms of both puzzles and combat so I think you should try to beat it without a walkthrough, by that time you should have a good idea of how to complete any puzzle these games may throw at you.

Welcome to the forums, I hope you stick around here after you are finished with this thread. :triforcepiece:

Since you needed a lot of help try to start with either an easier game or do OoT again to grasp the core Zelda mechanics. After completing that I'd suggest playing TP and SS if you can. MM is a much more difficult game in my opinion so not such a good place to go next plus you'd need a N64. WW is one of the games that can be hard because things aren't always that obvious in the overworld and all the sailing business and little islands makes looking at a walkthrough very tempting.

I've always been more partial to the 3D Zelda Games and find the transition to the 2D games not always an easy one to make. If you want to start playing those PH and ST are nice titles to check out as they are a bit of middle ground between the two styles. My favourite handheld Zelda is Minish Cap, but that is something for down the line. I'd also hold off on HW for now as most of the characters will go over your head since you are new to the series.

Have fun with them!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
C. Without a guide. ALttP and OoT and MM are by and far the best titles in the serious. And if you think otherwise, well, you must think differently than me. ANyway, from a gameplay perspective, ALttP without a guide will teach you paitence if you don't already have it. It's ag reat skill to possess.

Wow, lots of replies already. Thanks for the responses.

@MartDiamond, @Chocolate Storm -- I think I may have given the wrong impression with regard to patience and needing help to get started. I'm certain I could have done OoT without a guide, if I hadn't set myself an arbitrary time limit of "I'll play this while I'm on vacation." I figured out how to solve the Rubik's cube when I was a teenager without referring to a book (there was no web back then :O ). That took me about four years, picking it up and working on it for a few weeks or a month, setting it down and returning to it weeks or months later. The point here is that I have patience for puzzles. I just didn't know what was involved with OoT before starting, and so I used a walkthrough in the hopes of getting it done quickly. Of course, I have a lot less free time now, with a wife and family and full-time job, etc.

I didn't mention this before, but even using the walkthrough, I would often enter a room and try to figure it out first, then check the walkthrough if it seemed like I was spending too much time on it. (Again, I had this vague idea that I should finish it before my vacation ended, because I figured I have so much less free time in my regular day-to-day life.) Once I got through the first couple chapters, I had a better sense of how the game worked and I didn't rely on the walkthroughs for every little detail. But I did still use them a lot.

Anyway, before posting this question I was sort of leaning toward option A -- working through OoT once more without looking at a guide. I figured it would be a way to reinforce the basic gameplay concepts before moving on to something completely new. But only one person has suggested repeating OoT so far, so maybe I'll do something else.

MM is a much more difficult game in my opinion so not such a good place to go next plus you'd need a N64.

I thought it was available for the Wii virtual console, though I'm not sure how much I'd like playing it without the second screen for gear/items/maps etc. I'm kind of hoping Nintendo will release MM for the 3DS using the same controls/layout/engine as OoT 3D.

Thanks again to everybody for their feedback. More opinions always welcome!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
After OoT? I'd do MM or TP. If you're looking for a "Zelda Experience" (defined by OoT ATM) you won't get it with the original title or A Link to the Past. Zelda was very different back then and probably won't have the experience you're looking for after OoT.

Now if you want something different, then LoZ and aLttP would actually be a good idea.

If you want something sorta different, but familiar, Wind Waker HD or Skyward Sword would be my recommendation.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I'd suggest Wind Waker. Its an easy game which can better introduce you the puzzle mechanics of most Zelda games. They typically have a pattern, and I am almost certain you can beat this game without a walkthrough (mind one part at the end which I had trouble figuring out). It never gets frustrating and leaving you wondering about what to do in a dungeon. However, it does have long sailing trips, so it can get boring every once in a while. All the same, its a fun game.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I think that you're right that you should replay through Ocarina of Time. If you're hoping to learn more about Zelda gameplay so that you can complete other games in the future with less help from a walkthrough, then that's definitely the way to go. You could even try Master Quest, which you should unlock upon completeing the game, if you want to challenge yourself with some new dungeons.

After that, I'd personally suggest The Wind Waker HD. Not only does it play similarly to Ocarina of Time, but its story also takes place after Ocarina of Time's and references it often. A Link to the Past and The Legend of Zelda, like DarkestLink said, are very different. If you're looking for something different, then go ahead; you might like them. But if you're hoping for an experience similar to Ocarina, go for The Wind Waker.

Majora's Mask wouldn't be a bad choice either story-wise, but Majora is generally considered a bit more difficult than its predecessor, and you'd still need to buy it. It IS on the Wii Virtual Console and I assure you that the lack of a second screen won't be too frustrating once you get used to it, but prehaps The Wind Waker is the better choice since you got it for free. Twilight Princess is also a good choice and Skyward Sword wouldn't be bad, but again, you'd need to purchase those, and I don't think that's necessary.

Plus the original Zelda has a true second quest after you've beaten it, none of the boring reversed stuff on Ocarina, the dungeons are completely different and both them and the items are in different places both in the overworld map and the new dungeons. :D
OoT 3D isn't JUST reversed, though. It's Master Quest. The dungeons are completely different, just like in LoZ. It just took it a step FARTHER than LoZ by making them backwards, too. ;)

Well since you have just played OoT, well the 3D one, I recommend you move on to its sequel, Majora's Mask. Gameplay is similar, locations are similar, charterers are similar, items are similar; however it's also vastly different at the same time which will blow your mind. You can pick up this game on the Virtual Console for quite cheap (slightly more expensive than AlttP though).

After MM I'd suggest playing Twilight Princess, which is sort of a sequel (albeit a good 500-1000 years after). It heavily relates to OoT, although in a revamped much improved fashion, which is the most expansive title to date. It also carries on the dark theme from MM.

After that I'd personally recommend Skyward Sword; however I'd say do whatever you want next. There is no set order. We all have to start somewhere and we all go on our own separate journey through the series. My biggest advice would be to not to think too much into it and just enjoy the experience.

I would also recommend Majora's Mask for the reason's that he gave above although I felt that it's a bit more difficult than Ocarina, that being said IMO it was the better game. If you don't want play MM and you might not cause the side quests are what really make the game fun, not that the rest of the game or the Temples arn't fun there is just very few of them compared to the rest of the games in the series. I say you should play a 2D zelda get a feel for the series as a whole. A Link to the Past or The Minish Cap are my recommendations.

Last edited:

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
If those are the only options I'd suggest playing Windwaker HD, but this time without a walk through. Getting frustrated at times because you don't know what to do (even though it's always obvious in the end) is what makes Zelda the game it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom