• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New timeline dropped

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
No, it wasn't, actually. Aonuma is on record saying that the Dark Horse books were written by "fans of the series", not him or his team. He even explicitly stated he did none of his own editing on them.

Then Nintendo shouldn't have put their stamp of approval on them. You can't give a publisher carte blanche to relay official lore and then distance yourself from the end product. If you have full editorial oversight but don't exert it whatsoever then you don't get to complain about the finished product.

If Hyrule Historia proves anything it's that Nintendo doesn't give enough of a **** to even give the once over to a book that they commissioned.

Then Nintendo shouldn't have put their stamp of approval on them. You can't give a publisher carte blanche to relay official lore and then distance yourself from the end product. If you have full editorial oversight but don't exert it whatsoever then you don't get to complain about the finished product.

If Hyrule Historia proves anything it's that Nintendo doesn't give enough of a **** to even give the once over to a book that they commissioned.
Aonuma is the producer of the series. He has an excess of responsibilities that involve overseeing every project under the The Legend of Zelda series, as well as the general gameplay concepts, music, story, etc. to ensure that they correlate with the vision intended for the final product. What he doesn’t have time for is dealing with a book that was commissioned by what are effectively marketing executives at Nintendo who sought to make a quick buck off of surface level “lore revelations.” Nintendo isn’t a single monolithic entity and the notion that “Nintendo did this” therefore “Zelda Team did this” is frankly ridiculous.

Nintendo once again illustrating that there *is no* series chronology.
Zelda II: Adventure of Link was a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda set a number of years later featuring the same Link, per the manual. A Link to the Past was established to be set in the distant past, in the era when Hyrule was a unified kingdom, a reference to Zelda II’s manual. I could go on, but I assume it would be redundant. Don’t mistake your intellectual laziness for an assumed intention on the part of Nintendo.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Zelda II: Adventure of Link was a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda set a number of years later featuring the same Link, per the manual. A Link to the Past was established to be set in the distant past, in the era when Hyrule was a unified kingdom, a reference to Zelda II’s manual. I could go on, but I assume it would be redundant. Don’t mistake your intellectual laziness for an assumed intention on the part of Nintendo.
Ah, I see the fresh blood likes a bit of sport. Aside from the connections each game has to the others, the order of games has been changed and contradicted on so many occasions that it would be intellectually dishonest to pretend that there was ever anything more than a "this game came after this game" at a few points in the series' history. Of late, to their detriment, Nintendo has retroactively arranged the Legend of Zelda games into a timeline or apparently a "trimeline" as a way of throwing meat to Zelda fans. If you buy the "This is the timeline for when you got a game over" as being a detailed scheme years in the making, you deserve your timeline.

The point is not that a graphic of a Zelda timeline that's been officials recognized by Nintendo doesn't exist, it's that there never was a Zelda timeline. The legend of Zelda is a legend. When one generation tells a story of Zelda, it's about Link traveling to death mountain and Zora's domain and collecting cuccos and welding the hook shot and fighting Ganondorf. Another generation remembers the hookshot looking differently and Link collecting cuccos but not going to Zora's domain- wait, actually the Zora were enemies the way I heard it! And Ganondorf was actually a pig-looking guy. But another storyteller remembers that after that story, Link didn't defeat Ganondorf when he rose again and the next hero lived on Hyrule's mountaintops and sailed the seas but another storyteller says Link actually had a sword that split him into four.

It's a legend, not an exact accounting. Also, welcome to ZD-i.

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
Aonuma is the producer of the series. He has an excess of responsibilities that involve overseeing every project under the The Legend of Zelda series, as well as the general gameplay concepts, music, story, etc. to ensure that they correlate with the vision intended for the final product. What he doesn’t have time for is dealing with a book that was commissioned by what are effectively marketing executives at Nintendo who sought to make a quick buck off of surface level “lore revelations.” Nintendo isn’t a single monolithic entity and the notion that “Nintendo did this” therefore “Zelda Team did this” is frankly ridiculous.
That is a fair point. Just as SEGA and Sonic Team had different responsibilities.

I think what is hard is so much change in our world and it makes me anyway want to keep Zelda as it has been.. though in my mind I know this cannot be and would be detrimental to the legenderium. To balance the paradox of nostalgia and the novel can be hard.. I am trying.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Then they should have found time. When you have ultimate creative oversight over a project that decides the lore of one of your tentpole franchises you can't use the excuse of one person not having "time" to justify letting information be published. Aonuma is not the sole person involved with Zelda and the franchise's lore. If Nintendo gave a **** they'd have spared a little effort. Giving the go ahead for the book and its contents to be published is a stamp of approval.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
It wouldn't surprise me if they actually tried something like that. TotK tries its absolute best to just ignore the events of BotW. I don't think a "sequel" has ever been quite as disconnected from its predecessor as TotK.
Really though, the story feels like a continuation of botw but it feels like it takes place in a parallel universe where details are slightly different
Wonder if there could have been some kind of weird inciting incident in the beginning of tears that caused it to diverge from the main timeline...

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
Really though, the story feels like a continuation of botw but it feels like it takes place in a parallel universe where details are slightly different
Wonder if there could have been some kind of weird inciting incident in the beginning of tears that caused it to diverge from the main timeline...
So a JJ Abrams movie made into a game. Yeah.. I’ll pass on it then.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
One of these days the "it's just a story!" Excuse will send me off the deep end and I will actually sudoku over it
I don't envy the excessive naivety that it takes to believe that Miyamoto had a secret plan from the very beginning to file all of the games into a predetermined timeline. Those of us who were theorizing before Dark Horse created a timeline that was retroactively adopted by Nintendo are perfectly aware of it but plenty of kids are unfortunately subject to the historic revisionism pushed by some vocal individuals. In fact, it never mattered how the games were connected to each other but unfortunately the truth doesn't give the fans much to argue about. The very name of this thread is absolute proof there never was a master plan. By all means though, enjoy the struggle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom