• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

N64 Major's mask vs the 3Ds one

One of the few games I never completely beat and I really want to go back and start from the beginning again, but I only own a copy of the N64 version (the collectors edition disk that came out for the GameCube). I really like what they've done with the 3ds version it looks amazing in comparison, but graphics don't matter that much to me, I was wondering what I'm missing out on if I don't play the 3ds version (I don't have the money to get a 3ds and everything [rather save for the nx])

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
The 3DS version has a plethora of changes, some controversial even. A lot of fans decry this version for making the game unnecessarily easy, while others defend that many of them were logical changes. I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not really that thrilled about the changes to the boss fights, (all of them were changed considerably) but other changes really changed my opinion of the game. Having hard save points makes a ton of sense, and the location of the bank changed (you need to go there A LOT), and it didn't need to, but it did speed up a repetetive aspect a little, so I'm not mad about it.
In addition, a lot of small changes were made to dungeon puzzles and things like that. They're still both great games, but incredibly different.

If you don't already own a 3DS, and you have the N64 version, just play that one.

The 3DS version did improve many things, like:
-graphics (many minigames and puzzles are easier to complete due to upgraded textures and crisper colours)
-time can be skipped ahead 1 hour at a time, instead of 6 like the original, meaning less waiting around if you have something to do at 11pm
-improved bombers notebook
-new 3DS has independent camera control with the c-stick (original you can only move the camera using the L button)
-added another bottle/bombers notebook quest
-bird statues provide hard saves instead of soft, single use saves like the original
-gyroscopic aiming (personal opinion); aiming on the N64 games was balls, and gyroscope made the Octorok shooting gallery 1000000x easier
-improved inventory management thanks to the touchpad (pretty much all the stuff OoT3D improved)
-2 fishing ponds (idk if this is really a positive, but I hear there's a secret boss or something in one of them. Never spent enough time in either to see though)

Some negatives in my opinion include:
-every boss now has a big weak eye to hit (annoying Zelda trope made even more annoying)
-Gyorg and Twinmold boss fights severely changed, Twinmold fight now takes 10 hours to beat
-a few mask locations have been changed, but if you haven't played the original you won't notice

Overall, the 3DS positives outweigh the negatives, I just don't like how they butchered the boss fights. The 3DS version is more friendly if it's your first time playing, but the N64 version is the first one I played and it's more than manageable for new players. I wouldn't say buying a 3DS just for MM3D is worth it, but the 3DS has a great library so the console itself is great to own. If you're short on cash, just stick with the Gamecube port. It's only slightly worse than the 3DS version, but you get the original, better boss fights.

So I wasn't the only one?
Worst part was I started the fight as soon as dinner was done. Everyone was waiting and getting pissed off, meanwhile I was saying "One more minute, just gotta finish this boss. It has to be done any second now." Everything feels SO much longer when you're in a rush.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I've only played the 3ds version so only aware of the differences rather then experiancing them, I had heard that some of the dungeons had been made a little easier than the N64. Glad to see I'm not the only one that took forever on Twinmold I actually googled the fight to see if there was something I wasn't doing to speed it up

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
About the boss fights. I really hate the "Weak Spot Eye" thingie, it's just dumb!
Other than that, I'd say that the bosses are better designed in the 3DS version, especially Gyorg. Although I still like the original Odolwa better because the new version feels like it's doing a pattern, wheras the old one was unpredictable.

If you don't already own a 3DS, and you have the N64 version, just play that one.

The 3DS version did improve many things, like:
-graphics (many minigames and puzzles are easier to complete due to upgraded textures and crisper colours)
-time can be skipped ahead 1 hour at a time, instead of 6 like the original, meaning less waiting around if you have something to do at 11pm
-improved bombers notebook
-new 3DS has independent camera control with the c-stick (original you can only move the camera using the L button)
-added another bottle/bombers notebook quest
-bird statues provide hard saves instead of soft, single use saves like the original
-gyroscopic aiming (personal opinion); aiming on the N64 games was balls, and gyroscope made the Octorok shooting gallery 1000000x easier
-improved inventory management thanks to the touchpad (pretty much all the stuff OoT3D improved)
-2 fishing ponds (idk if this is really a positive, but I hear there's a secret boss or something in one of them. Never spent enough time in either to see though)

Some negatives in my opinion include:
-every boss now has a big weak eye to hit (annoying Zelda trope made even more annoying)
-Gyorg and Twinmold boss fights severely changed, Twinmold fight now takes 10 hours to beat
-a few mask locations have been changed, but if you haven't played the original you won't notice

Overall, the 3DS positives outweigh the negatives, I just don't like how they butchered the boss fights. The 3DS version is more friendly if it's your first time playing, but the N64 version is the first one I played and it's more than manageable for new players. I wouldn't say buying a 3DS just for MM3D is worth it, but the 3DS has a great library so the console itself is great to own. If you're short on cash, just stick with the Gamecube port. It's only slightly worse than the 3DS version, but you get the original, better boss fights.
Thank you this post was most helpful, if there's one thing I hate about the newest Zelda games it's how easy there boss fights have gotten, I just beat SS and every boss in that game was kind of a joke so if the N64 version is harder I would much prefer that anyway it makes the game more fun when it's a challenge

I have not played the 3DS version, so I can't speak to that. I've tried to find a few different Let's Plays of it on Youtube, but I can't find a player whose commentary does;t drive me mad. That being said, the changes I've seen (The improved graphics, different item locations, new saves) all seem to be pretty good improvements. One thing graphically speaking that I don't like was the clock. The bar just looks stupid. I'm a big fan of the 64 style clock that tracked the sun's progress in the sky. Very stylized and well, Majora's Mask-esq, whereas the 3DS version is just a bar. Kind of boring.

My response is the same as many above. Parts were definitely changed for the better and I especially love the new bomber notebook and double time mechanic. But the boss fights are definitely lamer now that they have the eye!

My response is the same as many above. Parts were definitely changed for the better and I especially love the new bomber notebook and double time mechanic. But the boss fights are definitely lamer now that they have the eye!
This is probably the one thing that I wish I could have is the improved bombers note book I want to try to do all the side quests I can and the new notebook looks way better

This is probably the one thing that I wish I could have is the improved bombers note book I want to try to do all the side quests I can and the new notebook looks way better
Yeah it's Waaaaaay easier to make sure you're 100%-ing everything you could possibly do in the game with the new notebook

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom