• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Version on The" Majora's Mask is a Nightmare" Theory

The more I think about it, the more I find myself agreeing with the theory that Majora's Mask is actually a nightmare - But with a few notable differences from the usual prescribed writings.

I'll start with the similarities - (nearly) Everyone in Hyrule has a counterpart in Terminia, and they all have some rather exaggerated problems. Almost as if they where being exaggerated by someone stressing out
Terminia is VERY similar to Hyrule, albeit very warped. again, exaggerated as if by a stressed mind
Time - Stressed (key word, I know) out by an obsession with time, Hero? Gotta go between then, play an ocarina of it, etc etc? HAVE A TIME LIMIT! Absolute nightmare (pun intended)

Now, my key difference - This isn't taking place AFTER Link has gone through his torture in Ocarina of time. This is DURING. It's when he's transferring between times for the first time, from child to adult pulling out the master sword.
What do I have to back it up?
- Fierce Deity Mask: It's Link imagining himself as an adult. We always hear kids saying "When I grow up, I'm gonna be big and strong!". Well, Link m'boy, making yourself near godlike with that mask covers that nicely!
-Most of the characters returning from OOT are characters encountered for the first time as child Link
- That you play as Child link. He's no idea how he's going to look as a grown-up, and still full of childhood terrors. Terminia is so warped, that it could be an extension of his childhood psyche

Feedback and discussion welcome!

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but this kind of theoretical thread should probably be saved for the "Zelda Theory" section. It seems like you're fairly new here, so it's no biggie. I'll post my opinion anyway.

I generally disagree with the "Majora's Mask is a nightmare" theory, although I suppose it could always be possible. The reasons why I doubt its authenticity:

#1: It's officially listed as coming after Ocarina of Time. Hyrule Historia, the book that unveiled the long-hidden and controversial Zelda Timeline, places MM distinctly after OoT, not during.
#2: Nothing in the games or from Nintendo has ever said or implied Majora's Mask is a nightmare. Actually, Termina's been specifically stated to be a parallel universe to Hyrule, not just a dream. Nothing is implied from the game that MM is just a bad dream, and Nintendo in general has never hinted at it being a nightmare, either. Therefore, it would seem the Majora's Mask Nightmare theory is merely a possible "what-if" scenario conjured up by fans based on feelings, not on solid evidence.
#3: Some events in the game reference directly back to Ocarina of Time. For one, the Skull Kid is implied to be one of the same Skull Kids Link can meet in the Lost Woods in OoT. It's also hinted that he's searching for Navi, even though this has not been confirmed to my knowledge. Speaking of which....
#4: "A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends..." This text comes from the beginning of Majora's Mask, indicating Link has already beaten Ganondorf in OoT and completed the events in that game. As such, MM cannot take place during OoT.
#5: If Link is dreaming about people he's met, what are Mayor Dour and Kafei doing there? This is mere speculation, considering Link may have simply dreamed up new people, but it's worth noting if we're talking about the Majora's Mask Nightmare theory. If all the people he meets in MM are memories of him meeting them in OoT, how does that explain people like Kafei and Mayor Dour showing up? Maybe he met them in events during OoT we never saw, but again, there is no evidence for that.

Conclusion: The Majora's Mask Nightmare theory may be possible in some form, but there's little to no evidence support it, only vague feelings, and it seems to be one of those fan-made theories to discuss "what-if" scenarios.

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but this kind of theoretical thread should probably be saved for the "Zelda Theory" section. It seems like you're fairly new here, so it's no biggie. I'll post my opinion anyway.

I generally disagree with the "Majora's Mask is a nightmare" theory, although I suppose it could always be possible. The reasons why I doubt its authenticity:

#1: It's officially listed as coming after Ocarina of Time. Hyrule Historia, the book that unveiled the long-hidden and controversial Zelda Timeline, places MM distinctly after OoT, not during.
#2: Nothing in the games or from Nintendo has ever said or implied Majora's Mask is a nightmare. Actually, Termina's been specifically stated to be a parallel universe to Hyrule, not just a dream. Nothing is implied from the game that MM is just a bad dream, and Nintendo in general has never hinted at it being a nightmare, either. Therefore, it would seem the Majora's Mask Nightmare theory is merely a possible "what-if" scenario conjured up by fans based on feelings, not on solid evidence.
#3: Some events in the game reference directly back to Ocarina of Time. For one, the Skull Kid is implied to be one of the same Skull Kids Link can meet in the Lost Woods in OoT. It's also hinted that he's searching for Navi, even though this has not been confirmed to my knowledge. Speaking of which....
#4: "A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends..." This text comes from the beginning of Majora's Mask, indicating Link has already beaten Ganondorf in OoT and completed the events in that game. As such, MM cannot take place during OoT.
#5: If Link is dreaming about people he's met, what are Mayor Dour and Kafei doing there? This is mere speculation, considering Link may have simply dreamed up new people, but it's worth noting if we're talking about the Majora's Mask Nightmare theory. If all the people he meets in MM are memories of him meeting them in OoT, how does that explain people like Kafei and Mayor Dour showing up? Maybe he met them in events during OoT we never saw, but again, there is no evidence for that.

Conclusion: The Majora's Mask Nightmare theory may be possible in some form, but there's little to no evidence support it, only vague feelings, and it seems to be one of those fan-made theories to discuss "what-if" scenarios.

Buggar, noted - Is it possible for an admin or moderator to move the thread? And to note

1 - Valid, there's a theory that it's PTSD after the events of OoT too.
2 - Granted, and with all respect, that's why it's a theory
3 - Indeed, part of my point was that it seems to be vague or odd versions of the OoT characters - Ganon's grandmothers for example. Could it be that child Link heard them mentioned in passing?
4 - There's the odd scene with Princess Zelda. And plus, if it's a nightmare, who is to say that Links nightmare is to be alone in an unfamiliar place?
5 - Again, could be hearing things in passing, meeting in passing, words on the grapevine... Again, it's just a theory

Deeds

no text
Yeah, this theory has always interested me. I'd like to say I agree with it, but there's too many things that really don't add up.
What about Zelda? How is this transformed in this Nightmare state? I'm sure there's an answer for that, I'm just kinda interested.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I never really thought about this before, but I'm leaning towards it. I've never been happy with the explanation of the story of Majora's Mask. And I see a lot of the arguments against this theory are based on the fact that the official timeline places it after OoT- BUT, it is in the child timeline. Ergo, there is no reason that he couldn't have dreamt this in his 7 year slumber. Even if this occurred after Zelda sent him back to live his childhood, as she does at the end of OoT, it would explain why he remembers learning the Song of Time and has presumably already acquired the Ocarina.

Taking this, and applying it to why Majora's Mask may be a nightmare: there is a complete sense of unreality throughout it, for example the weird shapes and colours that occur when Skull Kid casts the spell that transforms Link into a deku. It's all very surreal and the game in general stands out from other Zelda games. Everything is an exaggeration or twisted form of things in Hyrule down to the fact people look exactly the same as people in Hyrule- you can't dream up new images. As for the Happy Mask Man, he is weird. If Link had just finished the mask sidequest in OoT, it might be playing heavily on his mind. He has been told continually that he will change, time will change, the world will be a dark place under the influence of a dark power, but he doesn't know what this really means yet because he hasn't experienced it: this is what his mind conjures up.

I still don't know whether I really think this but it's an interesting theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom