• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds My Theory About Lorule [SPOILERS]

Once again SPOILERS BELOW!! If you haven't the game please don't read.

After reading so many theories about ALBW I thought it was time I submit my own...

I theorize that the reason Lorule is in decline isn't because of the loss of its Triforce as the game claims. Rather, it was the "Loss of Good", which led to its Triforce being destroyed and the decline of its civilization and geography.

The story goes that during one of those fabled Triforce wars that the people of the Zelda universe are prone to having, the Sages or Royal Family of Lorule decided to destroy the Triforce in an attempt to rid their land of this violence once and for all. Hilda now blames the loss of their Triforce as the reason her kingdom is on the brink of ruin and destruction. What I think we should look at are the differences/similarities between their resolution to these wars in comparison to Hyrule's resolution. But first, let's think about the Triforce.

The Goddesses created the earth, laws, and living beings to work in harmony (the short version). Once they completed their work, they left and the Triforce was created. Note that the Triforce wasn't brought into creation until after their "good" work was completed. Now we can fast forward through the various Triforce wars that have been fought over the years in Hyrule and we know that eventually good always trumps evil; Eventually a hero will always rise to restore balance. What we learn about Lorule is that a hero didn't rise to restore balance and so the Triforce was destroyed. Could it have been that all the "good" was lost or were those in charge too impatient to wait for the hero to rise? Either way it doesn't matter.

The Triforce grants the wish of the one who touches it and transforms the Sacred Realm into a reflection of that person's heart. Ganon had an evil heart, so it became the dark world, just as Link's wish turned it back into the Golden Land. It isn't known how a Triforce can be destroyed (or why there's more than one for that matter) but given the reflective properties of the Triforce I surmise that the true destruction of the Lorulean Triforce came about not because of the power of the Sages or Royal Family, how can they destroy something the Goddesses created? Rather the lack of "Good" and balance of the Loruleans caused their Triforce to grow weak, weak enough to be destroyed just as their civilization was destroying itself.

"But why didn't the Triforce call out to its Hero" you may be asking now. Simple, there weren't any virtuous enough to fill the role. Remember, the world was at war prior to losing its Triforce, the chaos Lorule finds itself in predated the destruction of the Triforce. Maybe one piece of the Triforce could find its Hero but not the others. If we look at the current top contenders for the Lorulean Triforce: Hilda, Ravio, and Yuga, you can already see why Lorule is doomed. Hilda, Princess of Lorule, should be a winner for the Triforce of Wisdom, but her shortsightedness would have caused more harm than good. Ravio, the potential Hero of "Paint"?, was too cowardly to stand up to Hilda and Yuga and valued worldly riches above anything else. If you've ever gotten close to his money bag you know what I mean. Even Yuga, Demon King of Beauty, with his schemes to conquer the world just wanted himself and everything around him to be pretty. The Triforce didn't have anyone worthy enough to bestow its power to.

The final act imposed on the Lorulean Triforce was one of unbalance and without "good" implications for the land, living beings, and natural laws of the world predetermined by the Goddesses. Look at the geography of Lorule. It's nearly identical to that of the Dark World and so many have theorized that Lorule is the Dark World and other similar claims. But if you go back to my "Loss of Good" theory and remember that evil, or lack of good, caused the Dark World to transform, it's no surprise that Lorule would take on similar characteristics. Once again, the Triforce is a reflection of those that wield it and those that last encountered the Triforce left a lasting impression they never dreamed of. The difference to remember is that the inhabitants of the Dark World were mostly monsters, or really bad people. Where as Lorule is filled with people that have lost hope, love, faith, etc. See how empty the Santuary is. Using the real world as an example, during times of trouble churches see an increase in visitors. The lack of people praying to the Gods in the sanctuary shows they have no dreams that their "good" society could ever return or that anyone can save them. They probably don't even realize how far they have fallen.

"But Zelda and Link wished for Lorule to have its Triforce back! How can there be a new Triforce if there is no balance or 'Good' as you say?" Easy, balance had been restored and good returned to the land. It wasn't until after Link spread his good deeds across Lorule, reminding people of more civilized times, after Hilda learned the error of her ways and agreed to find an alternative to save her Kingdom, after Ravio found the courage to do the right thing and stand up to his Princess. The Triforce now has 2/3 of the heroes it needs to counteract the imbalance, something we have seen time and time again. Just as the Golden Goddess created the Triforce after the world was good and balanced, so Link and Zelda wished for Lorule to have their Triforce return after they agreed that Lorule was once again worthy of having it. A Link Between Worlds wasn't a quest to save a kingdom by destroying evil, it was a quest to remind a land of the meaning of "good".

Sorry, I didn't intend for my first real post to be so long. Please let me know what you think.

I sort of agree but I disagree with how we get to that point. It is true that Lorule was already in a state of chaos before the Triforce was destroyed, but you could say the same about Hyrule before the Sages sealed the Triforce in the Sacred Realm (according to aLBW lore). As far as how the Triforce was destroyed, Hilda tells us directly that it was decided by the people to destroy it. I like to imagine that they wished the Triforce to destroy itself. That is the only I could imagine it would be possible.

As far as the Triforce not having a hero to call out to, I agree, but not because of Hilda, Ravio, and Yuga. The Triforce was destroyed before their time.

Ultimately though, I think it is important to remember that the Triforce was destroyed because it was believed to be the cause of Lorule's problems. The destruction of the Triforce I think can probably be seen as placing the blame for one's own problems on something else. Because they blamed their problems on the Triforce, its destruction only made things even worse. Hilda believes now that the Triforce is the only thing that can save them. But Ravio learns that it isn't the Triforce that creates or destroys, it is the individuals. I think that after hearing this, and seeing Link's courage, Hilda understands that the Triforce is just a catalyst for magnifying what people already feel. Once they feel remorse and understand the harm they've caused, they are allowed to use the Triforce again to unite their people.

I agree I only used them as an example of the type of people that were around when the Triforce was destroyed. I think if they had someone with true wisdom another solution would have found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom