• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Skyward Sword Review (On Going)

S

Skyward1614

I will be reviewing the game from my point of view and you guys can comment if you agree or disagree with what I say and rasie your own points about the game.

Part 1: Skyloft to about 1/4 through the Skyview Temple.
Areas Explored: Skyloft, Sealed Grounds, Faron Woods, Deep Woods, and 1/4 Skyview Temple.
Items: Pratice Sword, Goddess Sword, Red Potion, Purple Potion, Wooden Shield, Slingshot.
Comments on the Areas
Skyloft: This place is huge! I love this more than Clock Towna or Castle Town. So much to do and explore and great people to talk to. I love Beedle's Shop, even though I haven't gone in yet. (Did not have the Slingshot yet.)
Sealed Grounds: Saw this place in the trailers, seems like some "evil" is sealed here :) and the Sealed Temple is ok, nothing big here.A Goron here too.
Faron Woods: I have to say Skywards' version is a ton better then Twilight Princess'. More to do and see, I guess the Kikwa's are ok, their voice is kind of strange....
Deep Woods: Just more like Faron, but a bit more puzzle solving involved. Another Goron.
Skyview Temple 1/4: Strange and creepy. Good music and easy puzzles, but it's the first dungeon.

Enemies: Keese, Chu-Chu, Bokoblin(Red and Green), Deku Baba(Blue and Gold), Skultula, Walltula,Octorok (Grass and Sky)
Easy Enemies: Keese, Chu-Chu, Bokoblin, Walltula: All of them can be killed with some minor "swishing" of the remote.
Moderate Enemies:Bokoblin, Deku Baba, and Skultula: I find myself swinging to early or late on the Deku's. The Bokoblins are easy in groups, but a little bit harder one on one. I find hitting the small purple dot on the Skulltula challenging and most of the time end up getting hurt. I also find myself bringing my shield out to fast to deflect a Grass Octorok's bullet.

Positives and Negatives of Playthrough So Far
+Sword play works well 95% of the time.
+Characters are well designed and funny. I love Zelda and Fi.
+The flying is better the Epona, boat, or train.
+The puzzles are well thought out and fun.

-The Sky seems a bit small and most of the islands are just rocks with some small enemies.
-The sword sometimes seems off and you have to reset it.

Small Talk
If you have a brother or sister that wants to play a second file after you play, don't have them watch the first couple of cutscenes. You cannot skip them and they will seem a bit boring the second time watching them.
Also, I think that Nintendo made to much out of the sky being like Wind Waker's Great Sea. Most of the islands just have enemies on them and nothing else.:(

Now's it's up to you guys! What do you think of my review so far and of the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

HookShotFTW

Weapon of a Lifetime
Well, I disagree with the islands "usually being rocks with enemies on them". If you actually explore you'll find some interesting sidequests, minigames, and treasures. I probably dedicated half of the game to finding things on skyloft and the islands. I do know that you're not even past the second dungeon, but there's still lots to explore. This may sound dumb but on going does mean you will be posting more as you progress right? Also a fun thing to do is lose all your rupees and destroy peoples pots. They can't charge you! Also a fun secret is to:
Sleep in Beedles bed. You get transported to his island and learn a few secrets about him
Also there is only one goron not multiple ones(unless I misread I think you thought you said there were multiple gorons)

M

missdeep

I agree - there is so much more to explore! The islands have special treasures and few minigames etc. One does have like an Inn of sorts. Just check your map as you fly around and be sure to try and visit all the islands. :)

S

Skyward1614

I did mean that there is only one Goron, but in the begining I thought that they were different. And I will continue to post the more I go into the game. I'm about to enter Eldin, but don't have enought to make a full review.

B

Bombastic13

It is true i was a little disappointed about how their wernt as much floating islands as there were in Wind Waker
but I really love the game i cant say anything more about it being bad

S

Skyward1614

I got a lot farther then what I'm postng now, but I don't want to hit you guys with a wall of text. :)
Part 2
Areas Explored: Skyview Temple, Eldin Volcano, and Earth Temple

Items:Beetle,Bug Net,Iron Shield, and Bombs
(Slingshot): I find the aiming "lazy". It works well enough, but could have been better.
Beetle: The aiming and flying is the same as the Slingshot, but it is really fun to use.
Bug Net:This was hard for me at first because I was just flicking the remote like in Animal Crossing, but you have to follow through to cathc the bug. A nice itemt to have in a 3D Zelda.
Bombs: I found no problem in rolling or using the overhand through for these explosives and I like the addition.

Comments on Area

Skyview still the same, I like the way how the temple is over-grown and stuff in ruins.

Eldine Volcano: I love the area more than Death Mountain in TP and OoT! It seems bigger and more stuff to explore. I wish the Gorons lived here, I don't love the Mogmas....

Earth Temple: I like the ruined idea and all the lava flowng through out the temple.

Enemies: Staldra, Stalfos,Pyrup, Lizlafos, Fire Keese, and Spume(Lava)
Easy Enemies: Staldra, Pyrup, Keese and Spume: Except for the Staldra, all can be killed with some "random" swings. Staldra requires more on target cuts.
Hard Enemies: Stalfos was not hard but more of a challenge then the rest of the temple. I just attacked when he held his swords skyward and blocked the rest of them with the shield bash. Lizlafos were very hard for me, taking me down to 1 heart at one battle. You have to quick with your sword to beat them.

Boss Battles
Ghirahim: Very easy for a first boss. Don't Z target and you have this one in the bag. With the sword a bit harder, but not by much.
Scaldara: This is what I call a cool boss. Not hard, but very fun to do over and over.

+ and - of Playthrough so far
+the sword play and bosses
+The new items, like the Beetle are fun to play with.
+The Overworld is fun to explore for the first time.

-Earth Temple is very short and not very challenging with puzzles
-Bosses don't provide a challenge.

So, I will post from Lanayru to the Mines in the next playthrough. What do you think of it so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom