• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Musings on the Triforce and Main Story in BOTW! (Spoilers and Theories)

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
(don't know if this is a live thread right now) I'm pretty sure the Ooccoo took it up to space with them. I beat BOTW's main story quest and I didn't hear the triforce mentioned at all. :( However, I only have like 20% of the game complete so there is a very very high probability that I have missed something. So please inform me of any errors or if I missed a vital piece.

Musing #1. Remember the pillars next to Hyrule Castle in TPHD? That looks like the people are giving the triforce to the Ooccoo. Since the belief is that BOTW takes place some 10,000+ years after Twilight Princess this could be a very important clue and the DLC might look into it since it is to include a new dungeon. And how else could we get a new dungeon unless it fell from space?

Musing #2. I also can't remember any point in the game where the triforce appears on LINK'S hand. :/ Weird right? So how come Link can talk to Hylia and Zelda never could?

Musing #3. Just a little something I noticed where others may have missed. In the memory cutscene where Calamity Ganon returns, Mipha is actually on the verge of telling Zelda that she unlocks her own ability by thinking about something. You never hear what she actually says, but I'm 100% positive she was going to say Link. We know that Mipha absolutely adored Link through very many clues and people outright saying it in the game. I'm also sure she said this because "Thinking about Link" is exactly what unlocked Zelda's powers in the end anyways. If you got a different interpretation of this, please share.

Musing #4. Are the Champions actually dead? I know it says they were defeated over and over again, but what exactly is the main terminal on each Divine beast? If unlocking the terminal makes the Champions able to take control of the beast even after they are dead, how exactly does that work? This may sound pretty dark, but those main control terminals look like a place where you could put a body. Think about it! Only Link has a Sheikah slate, so how would the other champions control it? I theorize that they sleep INSIDE of the main control units. Even though they don't look exactly like the Resurrection pod that Link wakes up in, they do look similar enough that a body could be in there. :/ Although that's a whole ton of speculation, the whole idea that they can control the beast when they are dead makes me wonder how they controlled the beast when they were alive. We see Daruk stretching and popping his limbs when he tells Link he is finally getting the hang of controlling his beast, that could suggest he had just gotten up from lying down when Link came aboard. I'm probably wrong.

Musing #5. If the King of Hyrule is dead, how can he physically cut down a tree and glide around on a paraglider? Why does he sleep? How can he cook? :/ Wut wut?

Musing #6. Did Ganon give up on reincarnation and only focus on destruction BECAUSE he can't get the Triforce anymore!? (Also, can I just say that I LOVED Ganon's design? I was horrified the whole time! Even though after I died once I beat him perfectly my second try.)

Where do you think the Triforce went? What do you think of the Champions/Divine Beasts? Have you discovered any clues to the Tri-force's whereabouts while playing BOTW? Share your own Musings on the Triforce and Main Story aspects to think about.

Just because the Triforce is not referred to by name, does not mean it's not there... the same was true in TP.
We can safely assume that the pieces of the Triforce had been reunited over 10,000 years before BotW, which would explain why neither Link nor Ganon are in possession of the Triforces of Courage and Power, respectively.
It's implied that the complete Triforce is in Zelda's possession, and we do see the Triforce symbol on at least a couple of occasions when Zelda uses her power.
I'm not sure if Mipha was specifically going to say Link... more likely something along the lines of those she loves in general... while this would still apply to Link, it would also fit with the other champions as well.
I think it's safe to say that Link's was not the only Sheikah slate... it's implied that all of the champions had one... but I don't think they were necessarily needed to control the divine beasts, so probably weren't carried at all times. The divine beasts appear to be intelligent, so would probably follow their pilot's commands without the need of a Sheikah slate (even after their deaths)... the only exception being when they had been taken over by Ganon, when the Sheikah slate acted more as an override.
The King may be dead, but he was able to temporarily take on a physical form in order to watch over Link at the start of the game (this isn't the first time a spirit has taken on a physical form in the Zelda games).
As for Ganon... I personally question the meaning of that line, as I suspect the true meaning may have been distorted by the translation... I think it's really referring to him returning to a humanoid (Ganondorf) form, which is typically shown as being more intelligent/controlled than any of his Ganon forms. Having been trapped in his Ganon form for so long has probably taken a steep mental toll on him, and having been stopped every time he tried to escape he's probably lost all hope of returning to being Ganondorf, so has just given in to his destructive instincts as Ganon.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I think it's safe to say that Link's was not the only Sheikah slate... it's implied that all of the champions had one...
Are you thinking that what implies this is simply the presence of guidance stones inside of the divine beast? I personally didn't get any implications on this at all (especially since we never see any of the Champions with a Sheikah Slate), but as I said earlier, I may have missed something. :/

Are you thinking that what implies this is simply the presence of guidance stones inside of the divine beast? I personally didn't get any implications on this at all (especially since we never see any of the Champions with a Sheikah Slate), but as I said earlier, I may have missed something. :/
No... I was thinking of how some characters instantly assume that Link is one of the Champions (or one of their descendants) when they see that he has a Sheikah Slate... Zelda was the only one shown with one in the past, so they'd have no reason to assume this unless each of the Champions had one.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
No... I was thinking of how some characters instantly assume that Link is one of the Champions (or one of their descendants) when they see that he has a Sheikah Slate... Zelda was the only one shown with one in the past, so they'd have no reason to assume this unless each of the Champions had one.
That is a good point, perhaps they did all have Sheikah Slates, however, since the number of people who think he is a champion's descendant seemed pretty low (I only noticed this happening with the village chiefs, but I might not have been paying close enough attention) I wouldn't really say we can just assume it yet, and since Link actually did classify as a champion along with the rest (we know this because he wears a "Champion's Tunic"), it could only be the human champion that has the slate. :/ And we never even know if more than 1 slate ever even existed. If they DID all have sheikah slates, then it still wouldn't make sense (as far as we know) for them to be able to manually control the Beasts after they have been killed. I also think that if they all did have sheikah slates then we would see them somewhere on their person like we see with Zelda and then Link. Maybe they did each have slates, but I highly doubt it.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I just discovered Princess Zelda's study journal (not her diary) today and she writes about when they find the Shiekah Slate. After reading that, I'm 100% positive that there is only one.

I just discovered Princess Zelda's study journal (not her diary) today and she writes about when they find the Shiekah Slate. After reading that, I'm 100% positive that there is only one.
Yeah, I found that last night as well... it seems there originally was only one, but it doesn't rule out the potential for there to have been others... we know Purah had made her own, so it's possible they replicated the technology at the time so that each of the Champions would have one.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Yeah, I found that last night as well... it seems there originally was only one, but it doesn't rule out the potential for there to have been others... we know Purah had made her own, so it's possible they replicated the technology at the time so that each of the Champions would have one.
But they wouldn't need them to control the beasts since they've had champions on the beasts for the past 10,000 years and the slate hadn't been discovered yet. :/ I did notice Zelda mention that Mipha was "getting the hang of the controls" but whatever that means is still quite a mystery.

But they wouldn't need them to control the beasts since they've had champions on the beasts for the past 10,000 years and the slate hadn't been discovered yet. :/ I did notice Zelda mention that Mipha was "getting the hang of the controls" but whatever that means is still quite a mystery.
The Divine Beasts had been lying underground deactivated for 10,000 years... their former Champions were long gone... the new ones weren't selected until 100 years before BotW, and they had to figure out how to control the Divine Beasts as they went.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
The Divine Beasts had been lying underground deactivated for 10,000 years... their former Champions were long gone... the new ones weren't selected until 100 years before BotW, and they had to figure out how to control the Divine Beasts as they went.
Oh, I had thought they had uncovered them 10,000 years ago and were just taking care of them until Calamon came back. But now that I look back at the cutscenes, you are definitely correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom