• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Useless Items in Zelda

Sand wand - Spirit Tracks - like people have said before, its pretty much useless outsie it's temple
Diminion Wand - Twilight Princess - same as the sand wand, but with statues. Again, only used in it's temple, and a quest to get to the next temple.
Telescope - Wind Waker - didn't really use it...questioned why I had it several times
Gust Jar - Minish Cap - I found I didn't use this item alot, other than the first temple, and the mini-boss from the fourth
Horse Call - Twilight Princess - It would've been more useful if say...Ilia gave it to you at the beginning of the game before you could warp (and used something else to restore her memory)
Slingshot - Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword - after you have the bow & arrow, there is almost no use for it (and even before you get it, there's still not many things for you to hit)

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Pretty much every potion besides heart potions and the purple potion, deku nuts had no purpose, the slingshot in SS was the worst ever, you only used it for part of the first dungeon and once you get the beetle it's pointless, all it does is take ammo and knock small skulltulas off the wall and THAT'S IT.

Deku nuts are very useful in Jabu Jabu's belly against the annoying shabom floating around.

Well, okay, I'll give you that. I tended to ignore the shabom or throw Ruto at them for fun.

Now that I think about it, they're also great against the Big Deku Baba, but I always forget to use them.

I beg to differ regarding Spirit Tracks's Sand Wand being among the most useless items in franchise history. Even though it barely saw the light of day after the Sand Temple it was still used at the Ends of the Earth Station and its sparing incorporation is justified seeing as it was the last dungeon to be obtained.

That said I'd deem Zelda's most useless item the Dominion Rod from Twilight Princess. It seemed like an afterthought, an item that was perhaps meant to be used more but later largely trashed due to the last second removal of the magic meter. Commanding large statues to do your bidding wasn't particularly enthralling either.

I don't know about bombchu's being useless, the non quest mask's in OoT on the other hand are pretty useless.

The non-quest masks in OoT are most certainly not useless. The Mask of Truth provides lots of tips and gossip from the gossip stones and gets you a Deku Nut upgrade (yeah, I know I just called them useless) and the other three masks activate a whole bunch of entertaining dialogue, and that's why you play video games, right? To be entertained?

When I said non quest mask's I wasn't including the mask of truth, and they are not very useful because that special dialog that they get from people serves you little purpose on your quest.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I can't really decide the most useless item out of the plenty useless items in Zelda, so I'll state what I think is the most useless item in each game (that I've played):

Legend of Zelda: Probably bait, but nothing was really that useless in this game.
A Link to the Past: Quake Medallion. Other than using it to enter Turtle Rock, I never had to use this item.
Link's Awakening: Shield/Mirror Shield. These items are rarely unnecessary.
Ocarina of Time: Tie between Deku Nuts and the Ice Arrows. There is no purpose in the game for these items.
Majora's Mask: Deku Nuts. Like in OoT, there is no reason to use these.
Oracle of Seaons: Shield. Like in LA and OoA, there is no reason to use it.
Oracle of Ages: Shield. Like in LA and OoS, there is no reason to use it.
The Wind Waker: Probably the telescope, since after its use in the beginning of the game, it is rarely used afterwards.
The Minish Cap: Cane of Pacci. It after its dungeon, it is rarely used other than occasionally flipping portal pots.
Twilight Princess: Tie between the Gale Boomerang and the Spinner. They weren't used much out of their specific regions.
Phantom Hourglass: Probably the Bombchus. It wasn't used much after completing the Goron Temple.
Spirit Tracks: The Sand Wand. You couldn't use this outside of sand regions.
Skyward Sword: No item was really useless, but the least used was the whip. Not as much stuff to do with the whip than in Spirit Tracks.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master

En countre'
I personally find them very fun to waste, defeating enemies that could have been defeated much easier with out them.

Editing : Deku Nuts as useless? I can't believe I read this. I used deku nuts alot, good against almost every enemy in the game. Majora's mask i used them less though, due to well less availability, and other options to easily stun thing, like Zora form/ Deku Form.

I also feel the hover boots could have had more chances to be used though, but since you get them at the end of the game, its understandable. Was good to use on ganon. I just wish they let you hover much further distances, rather then slightly out of normal jump distance, really would have made the items much more fun.

Ice arrows in OoT though, the animation looked cool, but they didn't even deal extra damage, or freeze anything.

Majora's Mask, circus leader mask, all it did was like cry, and let you redo the milk road thingy again easier, which was already easy, and didn't need to be done again, because you could still buy the cheateau romani for 200 R, doing all the stuff to get to that quest again, to be able to buy it for 100 R, not worth it compared to killing 2 Dodongos (who dropped purple rupees)

LTTP, the medallions felt so pointless, wish they were a bit more useful. Because some enemies couldn't even be hurt by like the quake, so you had to use bombos, Ether also couldn't hurt as many things, but it did freeze some, and make invisible platforms visable. The magic cape/ cayne of bryna, why have 2 items that do the same exact thing?.

TP, Epona. Lets face it, you can teleport everywhere, early on can't even ride the field because there are no bridges for no good reason. The spinner actually, needed it for like the dungeon it was in, and a few few places else where. It would have been fun if it let you ride more freely as if surfing, rather then it running out of momentum in 2 seconds.

Edit:

Shields on the gameboy games, also was the only one who used the shield? It was great to use , more so in the oracle games though then in Links awakening.

But for the oracle games, i'll say your animal mounts, were kinda pointless, there was 1 region to really use them. It was interesting though how that area would differ between who you choose. Not really choose as much as when you bought the flute or not at all, you had a choice, you just didn't know you had it. But overly not alot of point in them.

Last edited:
The ice arrow is only useless if you get it after all the dungeons are complete, I use it in the desert colossus, one of the ways I use it is to freeze an armos when it moves over a weight activated switch, this holds it in place and keeps the door unlocked long enough for me to get through.

I'd say Dominon Rod

Deku Nuts
circus leader mask

I agree with the Deku Nuts, i cant believe so many dislike them, i find them so funny to use, feeling like a ninja doing it^^ And they're usefull. Especially against keese.

But the Mask, Q____Q
I could do that quest countless of times just to get that hug from Cremia, one of the best moments in the game.
Although wearing the mask somewhat ruins that scene xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom