• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda More Variety in Boss Stages

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Boss Stages are important in my eyes, of course it's about the boss, the boss design, the challenge etc. However, I feel that the actual stage sets the tone and the pace of the battle itself.

There can be a wide variety in Boss Stages, you have your standard medium sized room, a lot more compact spaces, themed rooma that make use of elements; water, fire etc, outside stages - then you have the more unique stages that make use of more vertical movements, for example the Argorok boss battle.

However, my main gripe with boss Battles is how plain and one dimensional they can be, you have this visually threatening boss stuck, or in a sense, "limited", by the fact that they're stuck in this small boss stage; a main example of this being Fyrus from Twilight Princess. I want a stage that allows for more freedom, not in the way the boss typically acts but how we defeat the boss itself. Not just a standard room, but a stage where we can traverse the surrounding environment, a stage which changes throughout the battle etc.

So would you like more variety within Boss Stages? Maybe more complex designs?

Big Octo

=^)
As it currently stands, I am content with the design of boss stages in recent titles. However, I do have a few ideas regarding their improvement.

First, I would be interested in seeing less closed-off rooms and instead have actual space for the boss to roam around. This would be especially good if the boss was a very large one so that they are not confined to a small chamber. Seeing a gargantuan beast roaming on the horizon would also feel much more threatening to me than something hidden in a room. This idea has been played with somewhat with the Imprisoned coming to mind. Even so, it still could be improved upon very much.

Another idea that comes to mind is the boss manipulating the dungeon outside of its chamber. Again, this idea has been somehwhat seen already; in this case it's the likes of Tentalus. Though, that was at a very minimal level, as it was only at the end of the dungeon. If this could be applied to almost the entire dungeon, it would build more tension and make the boss tha much more imposing. Also, things like seeing the boss roaming through large coridors and trying to avoid it would be an interesting concept.

I really so love the bosses in Zelda games as well as they way they are presented. I've enjoyed the design choices made regarding them, though there is always room for improvement.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I reference these two games a lot, but I'd argue Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword had a great lineup of boss variety. There were many different designs that were radically different, and they had mechanics that hadn't been seen in previous entries. Exactly what every future game needs.

I actually had an idea where you would start out fighting a particular boss in the dungeon itself and then progressively the battle would make its way to the overworld.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
while reading this the fyrus boss actually came to mind before i even read that part
if they're gonna give us some generic boss room to fight,can we get a little more breathing space?

I agree with this. Something I would like to see is a boss Idea like Infected Racheal from Resident Evil Reveltions. For those who have not played the game, You are adrift on a run-down cruise ship filled with a new zombie mutation. Racheal makes use of the air ducks on the ship and you have to chase her down as she appears in different (programmed) areas. it has the feeling that she can pop up anywhere cuz you can always hear her. Something like that in Zelda where maybe the boss is chasing YOU through that dungeon would be cool.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We need to start seeing stairs, tunnels, and multi-tiered buildings. No more circle single story rooms. That's ridiculous imo, too repetitive. We also need to see the environment get more involved. We should have to dodge icebergs, natural meteors/volcanic residue, and other such things. :)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
RE: Revelations FTW!

Also, there's actually been some pretty good boss designs over the years.

I mean LoZ and Alttp actually had pretty simple bosses that were pretty simple in concept and design. I guess that was simply a limitation of 2d design.

I mean every boss fight in OoT and MM is a unique experience. Each is different, and each is awesome in a unique way. I mean just look at Phantom Ganon, Volvagia, Goht, Gyorg, and Twinrova. These boss fights are unusual and unprecedented in awesomeness.

WW was pretty bland in boss design aside from Puppet Ganon. Although, ST actually had a lot of interesting designs. I love that one where you ride around that lava chamber in a mine cart. What was it called. . .

Anyway, TP also had some unique and cool design. Argorok, Blizetta, and Stallord all provided epic experiences. I mean you battle a dragon in the sky, and you have to use the ball and chain for some ice-smashing action from an evil yeti, and you even get to have an epic time surfing the walls of an underground dungeon while dodging fire blast from a dargon-skeleton head. I really enjoy the effort put into making the bosses feel epic.

SS had good boss fights with Ghirahim, the Imprisoned, the squid on the sinking ship, and even the evil scorpion. The boss fights were simply dragged down by being used too many times, and the simple failure of the whole game to have a unique feel, but even then, the game is pretty solid in basic boss design. I don't think it's the biggest problem the series is facing.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
This is true, the typical flat ground circular room with the boss does get a bit old after awhile.

It does depend on the boss though but I suppose the stage is all part of the boss design as well. SS did a good job with the bosses but It would be fun to see some more interactive areas and moving areas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom