• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda More (deadly) Trade Offs

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So I was reading a comment from JuicieJ regarding the Item Meter and it got me thinking...what if we had more tradeoffs in Zelda? Oftentimes I feel like the enemy AI and attacks in general are too "safe" for Link, he always has a way of advantage over his opponents. Whether it's attacking a foe and constantly flinching the foe, or somehow having (temporary?) invincibility, Link is just above his enemies.

A way to change this for example would be to reduce the invincibility that Link has. And to make it where Link flinches and takes damage over time for getting hit. Or maybe if he strikes a foe as they prepare an attack, it deals damage but does not flinch them (think the Stalfos/Stalmaster of Skyward Sword?). Or even then, if Link jumps into a pot of lava, he takes initial damage and also has a burning effect after respawning, which deals considerable damage.

What are your opinions? Is Link too safe? Should things be spiced up and perhaps leveraged closer to the enemies' favor?

Salem

SICK
For the player, the game is too safe, the combat is easy and such. What you're describing about the lava seems close to status ailment, perhaps that's what the Zelda series needs.

About making the foe does not flinch, I think they should be really powerful enemies that DON'T flinch no matter what, instead.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
I think that something like this could greatly benefit the series. I also think NPCs should be aware of what you are doing. If you constantly come into their houses they should get mad at you, or if you give a homeless man food they will like you more.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I think this would work well in 3-D games where there is a greater ease of movement.

2D games are restrictive enough that this would make certain parts akin to tLoZ (the first one).

Night Owl

~Momentai
I'd agree with making the enemies more difficult, But then I remember my mother. She loves zelda -she even taught me how to play- but she's terrible at fighting.

If they ever do something like you suggest, they should do it on a hard mode for us experienced players. (I'd love to be able to die because the difficulty is that great)
Zelda fans like my mom need the difficulty that it's already at, any harder might be too much. (Besides, when I end up doing things for her, it's nice being able to do it with ease)

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
If they ever do something like you suggest, they should do it on a hard mode for us experienced players.

^ This. The thing about Zelda is that it's supposed to appeal to all ages and all capabilities, hence the easier difficulty. However, this risks alienating more advanced players who want challenge. But if it's made too hard, then the younger, less experienced players are the ones alienated. I'd say Nintendo should really, really consider including difficulty modes in Zelda WiiU. Hero Mode was step in the right direction, but you should be able to to choose at the beginning of the game (Like with WWHD) and there should be more differences than a lack of hearts and double damage. Unflinching enemies is good idea. Maybe they could also have more enemies swamp you at once in harder difficulties too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom